Teal opener

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Teal opener

Postby MinneKans » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:25 pm

How was teal opener?
MinneKans
hunter

Re: Teal opener

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Garbage. Only saw a single group in a central eastern part of KS - they're not here yet, at least from what I've been seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 pm

As good as I've ever seen it. Lots of teal (and other ducks!!), lots of hunters, lots of shooting.
I had scouted extensively in a kayak two days before, found a good spot far enough back that no one would know about it unless they paddled in. We got there very early, put together two great hidey-holes in the kochia, layed out a good spread, shot well (16 shots/12 birds), and got out before the sun came up and it became truly hot.
I love it when a plan comes together.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Had a solid group of teal scouted Tuesday. This morning they just didnt show except a few who didnt come in range. Fired once didnt hit. Saw no other hunters.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Haven't seen a bird yet.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Just for a drive in the country after the Chiefs game, the wife and I drove to MVW, spent the better part of 3 hours just loafing around looking for ducks, we found a total of 6 Mallards, 3 on the refuge and 3 on one of the hunting areas. Looks like the hunting pressure yesterday and this morning moved everything out.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby sixXgun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 am

hunted Saturday and we killed a 4 man limit in 29 min. plus a bonus dove.
Buddy went out yesterday and they shot a 5 man limit. It was good where we were!
sixXgun
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 am

sixXgun wrote: It was good where we were!

You at McPherson?
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 am

We went and scouted. No teal in huntable areas. Daughter had fun looking at frogs, grasshoppers, egrets, commorants, etc. Even saw a kingfisher. My neck is killing me because as soon as the vegetation gets tall she wants to ride on my shoulders so she can see. We walked a couple miles like that yesterday. She had fun even though we couldn't find any so that's all that matters. Its awful hard for me to get excited to hunt when it is 93 before 1100.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 am

Mudpack, if that fellow was at McPherson, hes part of the reason the wife and I didn't see any yesterday afternoon when out there driving around LOL. We got there at 4:30 and drove around until 7:30 and didn't see but 6 big ducks, looks to me like they left due to the pressure
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby WF1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am

We did pretty good today considering there were no ducks left there....

They have lost a lot of birds though if people were shooting 30 birds/group this weekend. It was a struggle and pretty good shooting to scratch out what we did.
WF1
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

We did pretty good today considering there were no ducks left there....

WF1 , Its hard to say if the birds you got into this morning where new ,its a possibility with teal, here today gone tomorrow type of birds. I just reported what the wife and I observed yesterday afternoon and evening, She was disappointed she didn't get to see any teal, other than the few and rare occasional green wing we get on our pond, . She was wanting to see some of those twisting flights of little jets I keep telling her about.

BTW Glad you shot a few this morning.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby MinneKans » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

Getting more and more reports of teal arriving here in Minnesota. (our youth day was this weekend) One last warm day today and then highs in the 70's and lows in 30/40's later this week. Those temps should start pushing more teal south. Best is yet to come for y'all that have teal seasons. Good luck and keep the posts coming. Enjoy reading them.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby WF1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 pm

cluckmeister wrote:We did pretty good today considering there were no ducks left there....

WF1 , Its hard to say if the birds you got into this morning where new ,its a possibility with teal, here today gone tomorrow type of birds. I just reported what the wife and I observed yesterday afternoon and evening, She was disappointed she didn't get to see any teal, other than the few and rare occasional green wing we get on our pond, . She was wanting to see some of those twisting flights of little jets I keep telling her about.

BTW Glad you shot a few this morning.

We scouted last night and it was looking bleak to say the least just as you saw. We saw 1 or 2 groups after dark landing so we figured we'd give it a shot. We weren't expecting much but as you said you never know with teal. We got a few bonus birds bc some guy thought it would be fun to walk the dike by the refuge and jump shoot birds that way. He kicked em up and sent em to us.
WF1
hunter

Postby sixXgun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 pm

There will be more showing up, they always do. Hopefully it will start cooling off a little and bring more in.
We were in Kansas that's about as much detail as I give out!
We will see what the numbers look like this next Saturday.
sixXgun
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Going Teal hunting today after work. I think it's going to be the warmest day I've ever been duck hunting (98 Degrees). Definately not wearing waders today, going with some swim trunks and water socks.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

TheMiz wrote:Going Teal hunting today after work. I think it's going to be the warmest day I've ever been duck hunting (98 Degrees). Definately not wearing waders today, going with some swim trunks and water socks.

You should have been out there Sunday night!! It was a steamer.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby TheMiz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Ha. Would have been but I had an out of town wedding Saturday and was waaaay too hungover to go Sunday. Today will be my first day out for Teal.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Hunted McPherson Valley Wetlands today, saw maybe 40 ducks maybe 20 of which were teal. Never fired a shot. Think they all got busted out this weekend.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:03 pm

You guys kill me.
I went out Saturday, yesterday morning, and this morning. Three times. Three limits in less than an hour (Saturday's was in less than 30 minutes). The birds are there, you just need to find them.

I'll let you know how I do tomorrow...... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby WF1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Not everyone can hunt the bottoms every time out...

Have scouted extensively between wichita to hutch to sterling and have not seen a single teal flying or sitting on any body of water, nor have any of my farmer contacts.
WF1
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm

WF1 wrote:Not everyone can hunt the bottoms every time out...

Have scouted extensively between wichita to hutch to sterling and have not seen a single teal flying or sitting on any body of water, nor have any of my farmer contacts.

x2. No teal round these parts. I have a buddy camping at the bottoms and he is doing pretty well. I just can't get out there to join him with my work schedule.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm

My young hunting buddy Curtis moved up to Manhattan to start his freshmen year at KSU. Aparently he found some other duck hunters on campus . He sent this photo of opening morning .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Covered 3/4 of the reservoir near my house on the boat yesterday. Not a single duck in any of the coves and nothing on the Reserve but Pelicans. Sat on the water near the reserve till dark and saw nothing.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Lets hope this north wind brings in a few. Gonna try tomorrow evening and then again on Saturday.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting