Swan decoys??

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Swan decoys??

Postby BMC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Where I live, I have three ponds in the back of my house. Have three swans that have taken up residence there. Every night flocks of leaders drop almost on top of the swans. Counted 35 there tonight. Is this the norm? Are the swans acting as confidence boosters? Thought the geese would stay away from the swans.....anyone ever seen this?
BMC
hunter

Re: Swan decoys??

Postby MinneKans » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 am

I bought a couple swan decoys a couple years ago for confidende decoys for duck hunting. Can't say that I shoot more ducks because of it. But the swans bring visibility to my spread.

As for geese, here in MN we have crop depridation from resident geese and some farmers have try swan decoys to deter the geese. "Supposedly," geese and swans don't get along. Most farmers say the geese end up ignoring the swan decoys after a while.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby labs4me » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Having lived and hunted in Minnesota, we would often see swans on wetlands during early season or during migration. They are/can be very aggressive when in family groups or when protecting a food source. Otherwise we have often seen waterfowl on the same ponds or sloughs. They are very obvious, but serve more as a confidence decoy similar to a blue heron or coot decoys.
Would be hilarious to see someone trudging through a marsh with these as decoys, but just my opinion.
labs4me
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

I'm guilty of trudging through the marsh with swan decoys. And yes, they are heavy :smile:
MinneKans
hunter

Postby BMC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback......didn't know they made swan decoys, and figured if they did they were for confidence.....thanks for the info
BMC
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting