Apparently KDWP&T should be KDT&wp

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Apparently KDWP&T should be KDT&wp

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm

My girlfriend's dad sent me this email he received today. I wish I could make the picture show up on here, but I dont know how, theres a link instead. I loved the language they used. Apparently 2 years of bad drought out west had no effect on the Pheasant population, and the quail are better than they ever have been...

http://travelks.dmplocal.com/main/index ... @gmail.com
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Apparently KDWP&T should be KDT&wp

Postby TomKat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:52 pm

:hi: :welcome:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Tman, I think someone is full of BS on that link. Ive hunted private and walkin areas in Northwest Kansas for 25 years and the last 2 years have been the worse in my log book. As a fact we haven't even hunted after opening weekend the last 2 years. Im really surprised that the limit hasn't been reduced to 3 roosters instead of 4.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TBS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:09 am

cluckmeister wrote:Tman, I think someone is full of BS on that link. Ive hunted private and walkin areas in Northwest Kansas for 25 years and the last 2 years have been the worse in my log book. As a fact we haven't even hunted after opening weekend the last 2 years. Im really surprised that the limit hasn't been reduced to 3 roosters instead of 4.

Thats the point! They will stretch the truth and flat out lie in order to make KS sound like an attractive hunting destination. We have both government and private organizations doing anything and everything to try and bring non-residents to KS to hunt each season. These are the people who not only increase the crowding on public lands, but benefit the outfitters who continue to lease more and more private acres that become off limits for the average Kansan. Each year less and less opportunities are afforded to locals, and our state officials, Dept of Tourism, and private organizations lobbying for the restraunt and lodging industry are spending thousands of dollars (many of them taxpayer dollars) to market KS hunting across the nation. This is one of the main reasons non-resident hunting licenses have surpassed resident hunting license sales. The less access we have to quality hunting opportunities, the less likely we are as residents to buy a license and hunt. Its that simple.

Those of you who do NOT understand what is happening to our public areas as well as many private areas should do some research. Call up Pratt and get statistics (if they will give them to you). Kansas hunters are declining and OOS hunters are on the rise big time. That may be good for some, but its bad for most.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 am

cluckmeister wrote:Tman, I think someone is full of BS on that link. Ive hunted private and walkin areas in Northwest Kansas for 25 years and the last 2 years have been the worse in my log book. As a fact we haven't even hunted after opening weekend the last 2 years. Im really surprised that the limit hasn't been reduced to 3 roosters instead of 4.

Do you remember why the limit is 4? They wanted to try and outdraw the Dakotas and get the people to come here.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:

Do you remember why the limit is 4? They wanted to try and outdraw the Dakotas and get the people to come here.

Pheasant-wise, we are a long, long ways from competing with S Dakota, IMO.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

ks_waterfowler, 4 has been the limit for a long long time. For years the bird population would support shooting 4 birds but the last 2 years of state wide drought has devastated the pheasant population. Also I don't think back when they upped it to four they were trying to compete with SD, Neb and Iowa for out of state hunters. It was a time before all the outfitters, guides etc tried to profit off of the rich man dollar. I personally am lucky, I have excess to about 2000 acres of good private hunting ground and all the farmers that own the land hate the outfitters, guides etc. BTW if I was a fellow from another state wanting to hunt pheasants, the limit wouldn't be the deciding factor, the deciding factor would be what state has the most birds because more birds the easier the hunt and achievement of limit. Id go to South Dakota.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I was told that by someone working for the KDWP (long before the T was added). Hell I am even more shocked they allow 8 quail/day. There used to be some guys from LA that would come up here with 6 highpowered pointers and they would hunt covey's into extinction.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby TBS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:I was told that by someone working for the KDWP (long before the T was added). Hell I am even more shocked they allow 8 quail/day. There used to be some guys from LA that would come up here with 6 highpowered pointers and they would hunt covey's into extinction.

I've been told the same thing by several area CO's, except the guys were from TX and brought RV's and camped at each area until they wiped out the majority of the quail population, then moved to the next public wildlife area and did the same.

Quail are great fun to hunt, and in my youth we did plenty of it. However, they are vulnerable to weather and hunting pressure. Anyone who has hunted behind well trained pointers that have had thousands of birds shot over them knows, they cover alot of ground in a hurry and they don't miss many coveys or singles. A few guys with an army of great dogs can pretty much hunt coveys into extinction, especially during the colder months when they dont have time to recovey before nightfall. IMO, all upland hunting should have a LST of sunrise unil 2pm.
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 am

TomKat wrote:
ks_waterfowler wrote:

I agree. But that doesn't stop the pimp dept from advertising and marketing our resources as if they were superior to SoDak.
TBS
hunter

Postby pheasants » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 pm

TomKat wrote:
ks_waterfowler wrote:

And you never will as long as 10s of thousands of birds are being released every year. And that is a FACT!!!
pheasants
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't think the KS Sport Hunting Association has anything to do with the KDWP&T. It seems to be a group of professional game farm owners /outfitters who are aggressively marketing the "hunting opportunities" of Kansas.

Here is there web site: http://huntkansas.org

KSHA strives to support all aspects of the hunting industry -- hunting service professionals, game bird producers and suppliers.
Membership is open to businesses and individuals involved in any aspect of the hunting business or to those who wish to support hunting in Kansas.
KSHA promotes hunting in Kansas and provides benefits for its game bird producer members through its national "Hunt Kansas" promotional campaign.

Seems like mostly snake oil salesmen.
radfordc
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 am

ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:12 am

Hopefully a lot these for profit people will lose their butts this year after reading this article.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:45 am

I honestly feel bad for the OOS'ers.

I am not against them coming here to hunt. Perhaps it is because I am lucky enough to hunt exclusively on private ground for pheasants, and have not had any bad run ins with them while duck hunting. Their tag fees should be higher, but other than that, im all for them.

As far as the pheasants go...

One of the pieces of ground I hunt has been untouched grass for the last 20 years. No burning, no cutting. It used to be so thick with birds, we could hunt 12 guys and limit 75% of them on this one half section. Last year the weekend after the opener (it had not been hunted opening weekend) we pulled 10 or so birds out of this field...with 8 guys who can shoot. My uncle has been a life long pheasant hunter; he lives for it like most of us live for duck hunting, even suggested that the season should be closed for a couple of years to build bird populations back up. The 8 quail limit also blows my mind. I dont shoot quail anymore because we see so few. We can hunt all weekend and not see enough to fill a 1 man limit anymore. I remember flushing huge coveys when I was younger and doing it 2 or 3 times a day. I still keep a pouch in my shell vest full of 7.5's out of habit. It is a sad state of affairs, and may end up biting KdwpT in the ass. My girlfriends dad loves to hunt, but doesn't get to much living in SoCal. I would love to put him on a good Kansas Pheasant hunt, but its just not in the cards.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting