Early Zone Opener Roll Call!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: Early Zone Opener Roll Call!

Postby cyoung24 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:30 pm

No wad here just being a smart a**. Love to join you guys tomorrow but I'm enjoying the sunny 80's on the beach then it's DU obligations when I get back. May head to the bottoms the weekend of the late zone opener.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Saw and shot mostly teal today. What about everyone else?
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:17 pm

I think that's the verdict I got from most people.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Pretty much what we saw, too.
The four of us got 23 teal and a nicely feathered-out wigeon drake.

We talked to the Bottoms personnel and to LEO's there; teal were about 95% of the bag. Lots of hunters on opening morning...LOTS. Seemed like every launch ramp had 7-8 trucks and many trucks parked between them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:48 am

I went out Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Saturday was a 2 man limit of teal and Sunday was 15 teal, 2 shovelers, and 1 drake gadwall. Morons were out thick in the am hunt. A buddy took a pellet to the face by some jerks that walked in on us right before shooting time. I'm ready for the cold and the migration to get going!!!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am

fowlhunter How many hunters did you have on Sunday? 2? Your total for Sunday as it reads was over the limit or Im reading something wrong
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 am

Typical opening weekend. Crowds and lack of consideration for others. Sorry to hear your buddy got shot in the face, I'd have been PO'd and said something to those guys :mad:

What is really scary is how crowded it was considering all hunting pools were full of water. Can you imagine the chaos if everyone had been crammed into one pool?

I see more and more hunters at EVERY single place I hunt each season. Its gotten to the point that a guy pretty much expects to have to deal with some sort of annoyance every morning. The days of going out and working birds to the decoys without constant disruption are gone. I'm dissapointed in that, but it is what it is, and bitchin' about it won't fix anything.

I'm probably gonna deer hunt this year for the first time in 20 years. Best of luck to those who continue to fight the crowds on Kansas' public wetlands this season.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

cluckmeister wrote:fowlhunter How many hunters did you have on Sunday? 2? Your total for Sunday as it reads was over the limit or Im reading something wrong

They probably had 3 guys on Sunday since they had 18 birds total. Just assuming.
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 am

cluckmeister wrote:fowlhunter How many hunters did you have on Sunday? 2? Your total for Sunday as it reads was over the limit or Im reading something wrong

I guess I left that detail out. there were 3 on Sunday!

TBS, we made some comments to them and waved big and asked if they were having a good hunt. Then they left early.

The big thing I notice is the lack of effort! nobody is willing to walk 300 yards to get away, or be courteous. I've seen more guys walking 50yds from the dike this year than before. We will go on death marches to avoid people even if we are the first person in the parking lot. Also, guys were leaving by 8:30 or 9 whether or not they had shot a limit. We drug our hunt out by being picky, partially we don't like going on long retrieves, but we enjoy "hunting" not just "killing".
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:42 am

fowlhunter, I figured you had three but wasn't for sure, its better to set it straight, one never knows when a FGW is reading these posts just looking for someone that's over limit.

As for the number of hunters on the marshes, when the state opens up completely for duck/goose/crane and pheasant/quail season opens those numbers will go down tremendously. Until then its a madhouse;
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 am

That's for sure. I told myself I wasn't going to let some numb skulls ruin my weekends like seasons past. I also decided I wasn't quietly taking it either! We scout hard, get up extra early, keep our shooting in the hole, and don't call at birds working someone else. So I'm gonna voice my opinion if some moron is disrespectful. There is a ton of marsh this year, you don't have to set up on top of people.

I think I'm so excited by all the opportunities this year with the rain and crops that it would take a freight truck to knock me down!!! It's going to be a good year.
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby duckdozer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 pm

fowlhunter wrote:

I guess I left that detail out. there were 3 on Sunday!

TBS, we made some comments to them and waved big and asked if they were having a good hunt. Then they left early.

The big thing I notice is the lack of effort! nobody is willing to walk 300 yards to get away, or be courteous. I've seen more guys walking 50yds from the dike this year than before. We will go on death marches to avoid people even if we are the first person in the parking lot. Also, guys were leaving by 8:30 or 9 whether or not they had shot a limit. We drug our hunt out by being picky, partially we don't like going on long retrieves, but we enjoy "hunting" not just "killing".

I can attest to this!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Lol! Your legs still sore? The boat will fix that!
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

duckdozer, we walk 527 yards to our spot, I measured it on Google Earth, and the pool we hunt is very big. Theres 4 choice spots on it that actually would be about 250 yards apart and we still have dumbies walk right by one of the good spots and set up 75 yards from us. Come on cold weather
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Dang, these stories make dealing with the draw in MO a non issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Doesn't do you much good to hoof it out there and have 2 boats pull up to you 45 min later...

Actually didn't affect my hunt but still annoyed me...
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 pm

cluckmeister wrote:duckdozer, we walk 527 yards to our spot, I measured it on Google Earth, and the pool we hunt is very big. Theres 4 choice spots on it that actually would be about 250 yards apart and we still have dumbies walk right by one of the good spots and set up 75 yards from us. Come on cold weather

Thanks for your hole location. I am going to google earth and measure 527 yards from every Parkin spot and hunt them all until I find you! Muahaha.... Just playin. But really someone might
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm

cluckmeister wrote:fowlhunter, I figured you had three but wasn't for sure, its better to set it straight, one never knows when a FGW is reading these posts just looking for someone that's over limit.

Would a comment on an internet forum count as a "confession"? I would think a warden might need more evidence than that.
radfordc
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 pm

As a public land guy, I know all about the death walk even when it may not seem necessary. I would rather kill 2 ducks that work perfectly without some idiot then shoot a limit fighting those guys all day. More power to you guys who got our there and dealt with the craziness this weekend. I was in Norman for the OU game this past weekend and will be in Baton Rouge this weekend for the LSU game. After that, it's on for me.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 am

Fowlpwrcat, if somebody spends that much time trying locate my spot, it means they aren't in the spot I am LOL

Radfordc, it wouldnt count as a confession. But, I know work of a instance where a guy at work bragged about going a bunch over the limit, it peeved another guy off, he called a GW , the GW got a search warrant, went to the first guys house, checked the freezer and wrote him a bunch of fines for being over procession limit.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:30 pm

just wondering if anyone went out this morning and what success you had, there isn't much on the DU site except 1 report

Thanks
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Took my son out Friday morning. He shot his first duck (green wing teal) I was able to shoot 2 pintails and a shvlr.

Went out today with my father. All the ducks around are educated. Not many ducks being shot around here. We were able to shoot 4. 3 (gwt) and 1 (red head).

We need a cold front with some fresh birds!!!
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Ecat thanks for the report, I appreciate it,

BTW give congrats to your son from Old Cluck
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby huntnut » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 pm

I took the boys out to Cheyenne Bottoms yesterday evening and this morning. We camped out there, can't beleave all the guys camping out there. It was my 15yo sons first duck hunt. He got a couple BW teal and so did my oldest son. We had a good time out there. Little crowded but we found a place and killed some ducks.
huntnut
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Huntnut, all the marshes unfortunately will be packed until duck/goose/crane and pheasant and quail opens up state wide. Thanks for the info on your hunt

Regards
cluckmeister
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting