Opening Week Cheyenne Bottoms Report

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Opening Week Cheyenne Bottoms Report

Postby Waldoo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

I hunted the entire opening week at Cheyenne Bottoms. Was the best hunt I have had. We got 20 limits. Mostly teal, but a few big ducks here and there. Worst part is we had our limit each day by 10:30. I would have liked to spend a little more time out there. Many times we were letting teal swim in the decoys hoping for some big ducks to come in.

We never had anyone set up close to us. Closest anyone ever got was about 200 meters. Only seen 1 high shot over the entire week with the exception of one I attempted on a drake pintail. Got a little to excited and felt bad that I tried that shot afterwards. Was some shooting before shooting time, but I have seen worse.

In the primitive camping sight everyone was friendly. No issues.

Water seems to be decent in all the pools. Great cover. Maybe to much. Would have been nice if they cut some landing zones here and there. One pool, I think 3B, didn't look like it had any open areas other than the ditches next to the dike.

Almost all the ducks were blue wing. Seen more and more pintails toward the end and some whitefronts were starting to arrive.

Overall was a great week and I don't have any real complaints.
2013 - 2014
Turkey - 2
Dove - 37
Blue Wing - 117
Green Wing - 22
Redhead - 5
Shoveler - 8
Pintail - 8
Mallard - 1
Gadwall - 5
Ringneck - 1
Hooded Merganser - 1
Waldoo
hunter

Re: Opening Week Cheyenne Bottoms Report

Postby huntnut » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Yea very friendly at he camping site. We had a group next to use offer us a lantern and supper when ma and m boys rolled in Saturday evening. There were a lot of BW teal out there, seen a couple mallards and shovelers. They did need to do something with 3B as there is almost no open water out there.
huntnut
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Waldoo, with all those limits, I have a feeling you will get sick of eating duck LOL
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:05 pm

I realize the bottoms is no secret, but why the f*** do you guys say this crap on the internet... This goes for any location.... It does not compute in my brain.

spare me the "i know where the X is so it doesnt matter who i tell were i go" BS

Save it for your friends

Rant over....
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:23 am

FowlPwrcat wrote:I realize the bottoms is no secret, but why the f*** do you guys say this crap on the internet... This goes for any location.... It does not compute in my brain.

spare me the "i know where the X is so it doesnt matter who i tell were i go" BS

Save it for your friends

Rant over....

WOW go change out your tampon
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:35 am

I did and nothing changed. Still think it's dumb. You can still put a brag on here but just leave gaps in your info.

For the record, I' don't even hunt the bottoms
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes, there were a lot of BW teal on the Bottoms opening week. A LOT.
How things have changed this week; the area is in real flux. Most of the BW's (not all, by any means) have moved out with the cold north winds, and some larger birds have moved in, but not nearly enough to replace the teal, bird-for-bird. Judging by the number of trucks in the parking lots this morning, the number of hunters nearly equals the number of ducks on the bottoms. And this is on a WEDNESDAY!
I've noticed that the birds that are here have become quite educated: most guys have seen behavior that can best be described as "shy": decoy-shy, cover-shy, call-shy. All the pressure has made the birds act like it was mid-December instead of mid-October. :sad:

Still, I keep going out; the marsh is gorgeous this time of year.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Parker Knox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Yep, educated birds, 25 parties per pool, and every other truck (or honda civic) gets a flat tire on the crushed brick roads. Stay at home boys and wait until we get some real weather. :beer:
Parker Knox
hunter

Postby bjepsen85 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:11 am

I drove up from Texas, dispite reading reports like this, and saw maybe 20 other groups the entire time I was there. Had no one anywhere close to where we hunted both days. As soon as we pulled up, we talked to some walkers that said we would get hit with steel the whole time we were there. The only places there were more than one or two trucks are where the lazies want to walk in 100 yards and set up, and of course the birds will be skiddish if you throw out a dozen hot-buys and set on a stool 15 yards away with no cover.

The "it's way too crowded, stay home" bit isn't fooling anyone. Do a little extra work, get out in the marsh, and there is plenty of room.

Lay off the guy for being happy they had a good time. He had a great report, and was a good read.

Happy hunting!
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:40 am

I am happy he had a good hunt. I enjoy watching people have success. I don't enjoy public marshes being crowded by people who don't know what they are doing. That's how you get peppered, happened to me last hunt. They showed up 1hr after me in a boat after I HOOFED it. Guess boats get to hunt wherever. Odds are that person knew where they were going too, I don't want to add dumb internet scouters to the mix.
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:22 pm

It really doesn't matter. All you have to do is look at the waterfowl reports to know that there was a ton of birds out there.

I know multiple groups that headed out there, they all came away happy.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 am

FowlPwrcat wrote: They showed up 1hr after me in a boat after I HOOFED it. Guess boats get to hunt wherever.

Actually, everyone gets to hunt wherever they want to hunt. That's why it's call "public hunting".

Sure did slow down the last two days. This morning was the slowest I've seen/heard this season. It started snowing as we were picking up...and is coming down hard now; visibililty about 100 yards at the moment. It's so very cool to be on the marsh when it's snowing.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:20 am

huntnut wrote: They did need to do something with 3B as there is almost no open water out there.

What do you suggest they do? Pass a regulation that certain areas are off-limits to plant growth?
You could always have spent a couple hours each day out in the pool pulling weeds.
mudpack
hunter

Postby huntnut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am

mudpack wrote:
huntnut wrote: They did need to do something with 3B as there is almost no open water out there.

What do you suggest they do? Pass a regulation that certain areas are off-limits to plant growth?
You could always have spent a couple hours each day out in the pool pulling weeds.

No but they could have disked the weeds like they have done in the past.
huntnut
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm

This morning with the snow out there was beautiful, but things were slow. First time I think I have ever shot bluewing teal in the snow before!
sarjrr
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 pm

mudpack wrote:
FowlPwrcat wrote: They showed up 1hr after me in a boat after I HOOFED it. Guess boats get to hunt wherever.

Actually, everyone gets to hunt wherever they want to hunt. That's why it's call "public hunting".

Sure did slow down the last two days. This morning was the slowest I've seen/heard this season. It started snowing as we were picking up...and is coming down hard now; visibililty about 100 yards at the moment. It's so very cool to be on the marsh when it's snowing.

You understand my point...

i would have the same problem if someone on foot hunted on top of me... I realize its called public hunting. I enjoy it. I do not enjoy people who dont show much respect. I was by no means in the only place with water. If you have a boat, you can EASILY keep your distance. These fellas did not.

If i can here all of your conversations and i get sprayed with your BBs... you are too close, boat or on foot
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Keep it friendly boys.

OP, we dont like to name locations, it keeps the natives happy.

I have a buddy hunting out there who said yall got snow. That must be a trip, to hunt in the snow in October. I went out a couple of years ago during the drought. I did shoot my first redhead, but we laid in layout blinds in the rain all day in our 4th fallback spot. I would go back if there were enough water to flood the pools, but as it was, there wasnt enough water to make a wave.

This is still one of my favorite pictures

I tried to get it, but this picture doesn't show the wall of water that we watched march across the marsh to our spot
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:17 am

bjepsen85 wrote:I drove up from Texas, dispite reading reports like this, and saw maybe 20 other groups the entire time I was there.

:eek:
Saturday morning, there were 17 trucks in the parking lot I launched from alone. Until the LateZone opens it's gonna' be a cluster out there.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:26 am

huntnut wrote:No but they could have disked the weeds like they have done in the past.

Several things you might not have considered:

They did disk a lot of areas.
CB is a big place. Karl has a very limited number of employees, and an almost unlimited number of tasks to keep up with during the year. Impossible to disk every pool.
Then, the primary purpose of the Wildlife Area is to provide for wildlife, not to provide for the convenience of hunters. They try to give us all they can in that respect, but it's not a Hunter Area.
The "weeds" provide for food and cover that is a big reason the place is attractive to ducks and geese. You want a huge "city park" pond to shoot over, go to Britt Spaugh Zoo. :biggrin:

fowlcat, I DO understand your frustration. Perhaps I misinterpreted your first comments. Overcrowding IS a problem right now out there; Saturday was a mess: 17 trucks in the parking lot I launched out of on Saturday morning.. .... :no:
mudpack
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Mudpack yeah i came off as a ****. My bad. My frustrations are aimed at overcrowded hunting locations, not the OP. I can even handle a little crowd, i cant handle dumb crowds.

I found myself wondering how you can become a better duck hunter even though you are surrounded by idiots. This saturday i was hunting a pool that was long and narrow. I set up on the far right side of the channel. 1 hour after me a group comes in and sets up down wind. I get a little ticked but i say to myself "maybe they know what they are doing"

Nope, when the birds are decoying left to right do to the wind, inevitably they have to swing by the group to my left. This group shoots at every flock that flies over them regardless of distance. I mean we are talking FAR. Nil birds made it to me to decoy. The only shots i had were birds flying franticly away from this group.

How does one fix this?
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:35 pm

FowlPwrcat wrote:Mudpack yeah i came off as a ****. My bad. My frustrations are aimed at overcrowded hunting locations, not the OP. I can even handle a little crowd, i cant handle dumb crowds.
I found myself wondering how you can become a better duck hunter even though you are surrounded by idiots. This saturday i was hunting a pool that was long and narrow. I set up on the far right side of the channel. 1 hour after me a group comes in and sets up down wind. I get a little ticked but i say to myself "maybe they know what they are doing"
Nope, when the birds are decoying left to right do to the wind, inevitably they have to swing by the group to my left. This group shoots at every flock that flies over them regardless of distance. I mean we are talking FAR. Nil birds made it to me to decoy. The only shots i had were birds flying franticly away from this group. How does one fix this?

About the only thing one can do is move....but' that's hardly an option in all but the most extreme cases. I don't know the answer, except to accept those days when someone does this to us as paying dues for all the really good days we enjoy when the inconsiderate idiots are someplace else. :sad:
mudpack
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 am

mudpack wrote:
FowlPwrcat wrote:Mudpack yeah i came off as a ****. My bad. My frustrations are aimed at overcrowded hunting locations, not the OP. I can even handle a little crowd, i cant handle dumb crowds.
Nope, when the birds are decoying left to right do to the wind, inevitably they have to swing by the group to my left. This group shoots at every flock that flies over them regardless of distance. I mean we are talking FAR. Nil birds made it to me to decoy. The only shots i had were birds flying franticly away from this group. How does one fix this?

About the only thing one can do is move....but' that's hardly an option in all but the most extreme cases. I don't know the answer, except to accept those days when someone does this to us as paying dues for all the really good days we enjoy when the inconsiderate idiots are someplace else. :sad:

With the increase of duck dynasty guys the last few years there's not much you can do. A lake I hunt here in Alabama, has gotten so bad that I counted 23 trucks at one ramp at 5pm the day before the opener. I have friends that will camp out for 3 days to hold a good spot. It's gotten to the point, where I said screw all that. I now get to crowded areas late. With just enough time to setup. That way I can see where most of the idiots are and setup in a place where they can't screw me. Best strategy I have found.

As to the op, why would you mention a location? Simply stupid... It's not hard to figure out where the birds are, your just spelling it out for the uber lazy. I'm 1000 miles away, yet I know where the birds are. I use the Internet, and people I have met on my trips out there to stay on top of the birds. If I can do this with ease from 1k miles away, then nobody needs your help, by naming spots.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:25 pm

jaker wrote:
mudpack wrote:

With the increase of duck dynasty guys the last few years there's not much you can do. A lake I hunt here in Alabama, has gotten so bad that I counted 23 trucks at one ramp at 5pm the day before the opener. I have friends that will camp out for 3 days to hold a good spot. It's gotten to the point, where I said screw all that. I now get to crowded areas late. With just enough time to setup. That way I can see where most of the idiots are and setup in a place where they can't screw me. Best strategy I have found.

As to the op, why would you mention a location? Simply stupid... It's not hard to figure out where the birds are, your just spelling it out for the uber lazy. I'm 1000 miles away, yet I know where the birds are. I use the Internet, and people I have met on my trips out there to stay on top of the birds. If I can do this with ease from 1k miles away, then nobody needs your help, by naming spots.

Jake! When you coming back to our fair state?

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby jaker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

T Man wrote:
jaker wrote:
mudpack wrote:

Jake! When you coming back to our fair state?

Shouted from the bottom of a well

I'll be headed up there the 1st, rolling into the south east zone about midnight, just in time to step out into the water and hold a spot. After the mornings hunt ill be heading farther west to hunt Sunday through Wednesday, then driving back just in time for work Thursday morning! Unfortunately I couldn't get anymore time off this time. May be coming back later in the year, depending on the weather. I'll pm you my number, if your anywhere along our route you are welcome to join some Alabama boys for a hunt.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Edit
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting