Kansas Waterfowlers

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Kansas Waterfowlers

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:34 pm

Just wondering if there are any Kansas Waterfowlers out there. I live .5 miles from Flint Hills NWR and hunt anything with feathers.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby dukhunter45 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Hey I am a kansas waterfowl hunter. I also hunt pheasants, quail, and deer. I live in the NW part of the state. We hunt the near by resivors. Where do you hunt at?

Bust'Em
dukhunter45
hunter

Kansas Waterfowlers

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:37 pm

I live in East Central Kansas in the town of Neosho Rapids. We are about 12 ESE of Emporia. We live .5 miles from Flint Hills NWR. Me and my little brother hunt anything with feathers (except pheasants, cause we can't ever find any). I got to school in Hutch, and tried hunting there, but with little success.

Matt
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby dukhunter45 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:43 am

Matt... Where did u hunt at ??

Bust'Em
dukhunter45
hunter

Kansas Waterfowlers

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:19 am

We hunted in the Walk in Hunting around around Hutch, and also at Cheney when we were in Hutch. I hunt almost exclusively on Flint Hill NWR when I am at home.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby dukhunter45 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:59 pm

pm you
dukhunter45
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Hey guys i'm from KS also. I live about 30 miles north of hutch. We hunt at the Mcpherson Wetlands over here.... It's amazing as long as we have water wich we have had for the past 2 years. Anyone ever do any hunting on Marion Res. ?
I've heard that in some of the covers you can really put the hammer on the woodies and the mallards. And you also shoot alot of mergansers. Any of you do good goose hunting? I just got into it this year and had no luck what so ever. Between my dad and I we own 18 ghg shells and 4 of the Hard Cores... Looking to expand on our spread for next year. Well I guess i'll talk to ya'll later...

Matt (Mallyard) :)
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Kansas Waterfowlers

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:14 am

Goose hunting is where its at. I love snow goose hunting more than almost any type of waterfowling (I've shot so many ducks the last 2 years it isn't even funny). Snow geese offer me a little challenge. Canadas are fun to hunt. I haven't shot to many of them, but we have good decoys (g&h and Flambeau). Seems like they can feed there for 2 dayz then we come and they leave the night before.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Kansas Waterfowlers

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:33 am

Hey. Yeah I live in Iola it's aobut 45 min. S SE John Redmen I hutn well just about anything that you can. And I love Kansas had some really great huntin if you ask me.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:22 pm

I think so too..... But thats our (Kansas hunters) little secret... :mrgreen:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:51 pm

yeah lets keep all the out of state hunters to the north and south more birds for us... :getdown: or is that selfish :yes:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:06 am

Got room for one more around here? Read through a few of these KANSAS posts, and you all seemed like a decent bunch... Inspired me to sign up and climb aboard. Been chasing ducks around NE KS (mostly KC area)... oh, 'bout 25yrs or so... Enjoy reading through all of your topics and posts.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

First season in Kansas

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:36 am

Hey everybody! I just moved up here from Arkansas, arguably duck hunting capitol of the world, and I don't know any fellow hunters around or any place to hunt for that matter. I was wondering if ther's anyone in the Prairie Village, K.C. area that is planning to go on opening day this Saturday morning. I would appreciate any info that anyone might be willing to share. My lab won't let me sleep if I don't take him on opening day! Thanks alot! I'm really glad I found this forum.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:14 pm

hey you guys came in just in time to read my post about keeping out of state hunters out... i don't want to be though of as a jack ( ) and figured i woudl jsut let you guys know that i was jokeing ... especaily when razorback moved from arkansas... (would love to do some hunting down there) :salude:
hope you guys enjoy the forum :thumbsup:
david
Last edited by yellowlab on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Just a heads up

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:48 am

Just a heads up for the new guys. We don't post bird locations on here. We have way to many guys that look on here to see where the birds are being shot at. I make the guys scout for their birds. We have a major problem here with guys (mainly with Johnson County plates) setting up as close to us as possible cause they see local plates and want to hunt near us. Well, I am tired of it and if it happens this year there will be problems.

Don't want to sound like a @$$, but I am fed up to my ears.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ken h » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:00 pm

Am new here as well. Live by John Redmond. I agree with Matt, let guys do their own scouting. Have seen what happens when fellas give out locations of where they shot birds. Got enough JO county plates as it is. Not trying to start no crap with JO county guys as I have quite a few that I hunt with but things are get crowded and lands being leased up by the minute.
ken h
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:15 am

Well, I'm a bit torn; Being a Johnson County boy (albeit the southwest, a-little-less-less-yuppie corner known as Olathe) I sure would hate to be discriminated against if I showed up down at Flint Hills and parked next to you... Now, that being said... I've been doing this long enough now to know that I share the same absolute disgust at the same peopel you are talking about - those that show up just after first light, snuggle in as close to you as possible, and shoot the birds as you work'em down wind into your spread. These are the reasons I don't hunt the Mairais Des Cygnes, the Flint Hills, etc of the world on weekends. I've lived in JOCO my entire life, and while I agree with your stereotypes, we're not ALL that bad! I found plenty of the same Jack-arses hunting out at Tuttle through college, and I I've seen sky busters, thieves, lazy, and unsafe hunters come from all walks, all backgrounds. Guess I was blessed and fortunate to have been brought up to appreciate what this is all about, and I believe that to be rare. So JoCo or not - I'm on your side. Kinda what I liked about reading through the posts here and getting a feel of community...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby ken h » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:37 am

I hear what you are saying puddlejumper. In our area there is such a gathering of JO plates. I am not trying to discriminate but as a member of several other forums, I see what happens when someone get on these boards and talks about duck numbers in specific areas. If JOCO boys want to come down and do their own scouting and getting permission I have no problem with that, hell would even help them out if I ran into them. But to look at these boards and see someone talk about killings birds in pool X on Lake Y then to flood by the truckloads is a little overboard. I also see that some of the private ground that used to be open to hunting is no longer as so many KC area guys have come down and leased it all. I can't blame the farmer as who wouldn't want an extra $1500-$2000 for letting a small group of guys hunt their field for 3 months. KC guys don't have many options close to home so they drive. It's kind of a lose lose situation for locals.
Wasn't trying nor intended to ruffle any feathers but is kinda crazy around here sometimes.
ken h
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:31 pm

And no offense taken. I've worked, hard, hiked miles, done it the hard way, and have the same problems, same frustrations, with the same folks you do. And you are right, it makes it hard for us all. I still hike those miles to stay away from the crowds - that's part of what it's about for me. And honestly, I've had a couple experiences at Flint Hlls that were as bad or worse than any other opening day at any other public hunting area. Just detracts from the whole experience. But yeah, it's the stereo-typical JoCo guys - and like I said before, I know what you mean - it's a reputation well earned - that spoil it in a lot of places, and so the whole point of the thread - keeping your locations to yourself - is advice well taken. Being the exception to the rule here, I'm in complete agreement! I work hard to secure my private access so that I wouldn't have to deal with the crowds, and I intend to protect the he11 out of my spots! So now, that I've spilled my guts and painted myself as a JoCo fella, I can only ask that you don't hold it against me and run me out of town on a rail! Looking forward to sharing some of the season's excitement here! No offense taken at all! Appreciate the conversation, and would rather hunt andconverse with folks who get what it's about, grew up with it as tradition, and have the passion... the kind of folks that would hang out in some Forum talking feathers at funny hours of the night...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:57 pm

LOL... Si Senor,,,i's from mehico... and hunting is good down here.... room for all fellas hunt plenty big ducks mucho money.... LOL... Howdy Ken.... I know nothing....LOL....and There are also other countys too...hehehe..no names mentioned... hehehe
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Barnette » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:41 pm

Dont mean to butt in but i come to kansas every year and duck hunt and have the best time. I hardly ever see any other hunters and always have great success. I usually hunt around Cheyenne Bottoms, dose anyone know how the water is out there. And how about hunting in the east never tried it but would like some tips. I also heard the phesants looked real good this year. Also had fun in Hayes at the WILD ROSE.
Barnette
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:06 pm

KS_Puddlejumper

I wasn't trying to offend the few good hunters from JOCO out there. But 99% of the time when someone does some of the stuff metioned before, you can go back to the parking lot and see JOCO plates there. Even if it is just me and them, they pull the same stuff every time and it has really gotten on my nerves. I have put up with it for 10 years and enough is enough.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ken h » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:17 pm

Fatweed, do i know you from another forum and didn't we meet last year???

I am not saying there aren't other counties that do this. JOCO just seems to be the worst as they don't have any place close to hunt. I think the whole point is to be careful about giving particulars about WHERE you are doing good. As I guarantee that not just only JOCO but others as well look on here and say lets go down there. I will never say exactly where I get birds except to a select few and then it is pm's or email.

Puddlejumper, you ever down this way look me up. Enjoyed the conversation and appreciate you didn't take offense even though you are "one of those" :tounge: :laughing:
ken h
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:17 pm

Hey, I'm agreeing with you at this point, I truly am. I went out to Cabella's today, and saw some of the clowns you're going to find in your parking lot Saturday morning, buying up the latest gadgets for this one weekend of the year that they might get out. Made me think of this thread. I've tried to stress in my previous posts, that I AGREE With you on the stereo type - I deal with Johnsons County business owners and corporate types every day, and I really am not offended by any of this, I promise! I know what you're talking about, and I have the same issues with the same people. I think we all should pack it up and head south of the border down to Fatweeds place. We got him giggling like a school girl. Get the Corona's iced down!
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby ken h » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:59 pm

Hey pudle we posted at the same time. How much of a madhouse is Cabela's lately????? Just wait till Sat at the marshes and you will see a madhouse.

Fatweed, you got a some that goes by Dickeybird????

Going scouting tomorrow and will tell you what I see but I won't tell you where. :toofunny: :toofunny:
ken h
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting