Anyone excited for this weekend?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Anyone excited for this weekend?

Postby flynfold » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:28 am

I know it doesn't look like there is much of a migration. The ducks and geese are just now starting to show up in N Dakota. I suspect a lot of teal and woodies this weekend. Good luck if your headed out. Remember, keep your locations to the least amount of info.
flynfold
hunter

Re: Anyone excited for this weekend?

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm excited that the Late Zone is opening this weekend. Maybe it will take some pressure off the spots in the Early Zone.

Holy cow I've never seen so many hunters for so few birds...... :rolleyes:

Last week we had birds for everyone, this morning I stayed out until 10:20 and saw maybe 22 birds total. Bad.
mudpack
hunter

Postby radfordc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:21 pm

I wonder if the SE zone guys are still upset that there season isn't starting now?
radfordc
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Anyone who was upset about the SE zone not starting had no idea what they were talking about. I love that the SE zone doesn't open til later. As for this weekend, I may go set up somewhere Sunday just to get a feel for how much water is in my spots. I haven't been out all year so idk what it's looking like compared to the last 2 seasons.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:30 am

radfordc wrote:I wonder if the SE zone guys are still upset that there season isn't starting now?

This weekend no, next weekend yes. I know where we could limit on birds in the SE zone tomorow if it was open.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 am

Does the youth hunt weekend in the SE zone open tomorrow?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 am

Ecat I copied this from the Regulations

YOUTH WATERFOWL SEASONS
•High Plains Unit: Sept. 28-29, 2013
•Low Plains Early Zone: Sept. 28-29, 2013.
•Low Plains Late Zone: Oct. 19-20, 2013
•Southeast Zone: Oct. 26-27, 2013
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby FowlPwrcat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:33 pm

mudpack wrote:I'm excited that the Late Zone is opening this weekend. Maybe it will take some pressure off the spots in the Early Zone.

Holy cow I've never seen so many hunters for so few birds...... :rolleyes:

Last week we had birds for everyone, this morning I stayed out until 10:20 and saw maybe 22 birds total. Bad.

I myself saw a lot, but they left the marsh QUICK... I still loved the seclusion of hunting on a weekday...
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Looks to me like the birds are moving, the little lake across from my home had around 18 Widgeons all week and suddenly today I counted 62. Beats last years record by 20, not bad for being in the city
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby SSG-B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 am

Taking 2 kids for youth season Sunday in the SE zone. I have a great spot in ______________!!
SSG-B
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:51 am

97,964 ducks at Quivira this morning, 97,965 hunters, what a circus LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby gooshnr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:04 pm

cluckmeister wrote:97,964 ducks at Quivira this morning, 97,965 hunters, what a circus LOL

I kinda figured it might be. Glad I stayed away.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:53 pm

We figured it would be a circus on all the hunting units, so we hiked back in about a mile and hunted the creek, didn't shoot a limit but had a quality hunt, with no one but us there
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:34 pm

We killed 21 this morning. We hunted a private pond and was able to avoid the crowds...Not a bad morning...the birds worked "okay" at best though...They were hard to finish...
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Glad you had to dress all those birds, 12 was more than enough for me and my 2 buddies LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:59 pm

cluckmeister wrote:We figured it would be a circus on all the hunting units, so we hiked back in about a mile and hunted the creek, didn't shoot a limit but had a quality hunt, with no one but us there

I love it when someone tries something a little different, and it pays off! Kudos to you, sir. :thumbsup:

What species of birds showed up on your straps?
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Mudpack, it was a mixture of Teal, Pins, Gaddys, and Mallards, one thing about hunting the creek, the divers are never around
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby rotten_1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:57 am

Heading out to a small farm pond in SE.. hoping for the best but just hsppy to be awake and cold so early this morning. .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
rotten_1
Newb

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 am

cluckmeister wrote:Mudpack, it was a mixture of Teal, Pins, Gaddys, and Mallards,

Well done!
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

Daughter wants to go "shoot some ducks" so I imagine we will be out this afternoon. Still need to get her some toddler camo. Guess she will be rocking the black tinkerbell sweatshirt with the camo overalls again. Need to make a trip somewhere to get her some hunting boots too.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby flynfold » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 am

We saw a lot of birds Sat. most of what I saw were teal with a smattering of big ducks. For opening day ducks sure seemed decoy shy. I hunt private land with not a lot of pressure. Nice being out for the opener.
flynfold
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 am

cluckmeister wrote:97,964 ducks at Quivira this morning, 97,965 hunters, what a circus LOL

This problem seems to be wide based and a strong indication of the ever growing popularity of waterfowling. My friend Curtis and his buddy are in North Dakota in the Devils Lake area right now. He said on every gravel road you drive down, you`ll meet other hunters engaged in the scouting ritual . He text me that 30 miles from Devils Lake they stopped at a gas station where it appeared they were having a convention for decoy trailers there were so many rigs present. They shot five geese and two ducks yesterday, not exactly what they expected but a good time regardless.
radfordc wrote:I wonder if the SE zone guys are still upset that there season isn't starting now?

This Southeast Zone hunter certainly isn`t . The good stuff has yet to arrive, but well worth waiting for .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:58 am

John, I don't mean to start an argument but by good stuff yet to arrive, I take it youre one of the guys that would rather shoot Mallards, If that's the case Im certainly glad you and your buddies didn't come over to the late zone areas and hunt this last week end, it left more Teal, Gaddies and Pins for us poor guys that like to shoot and eat them LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:35 pm

cluckmeister wrote:John, I don't mean to start an argument but by good stuff yet to arrive, I take it youre one of the guys that would rather shoot Mallards,

Clukmeister; I should have guessed that expression would raise some eyebrows . It is just that , an expression I used to denote that the migration here has been pretty sparse . I like to hunt Teal , Gaddy`s and Pins as much as you do but I must confess I love decoying those Mallards . Working the birds, talking to them and listening to the hens talk back,then watching with ever increasing anticipation as they make that last circle and finally commit. That is the good stuff I referenced. I am envious of the great hunting currently going on in your region of the state and it certainly increases my desire to jump in the truck, drive out and join in, but it sounds as if you have an over abundance of hunters already . Each of us have our own perception of what the good stuff represents. For me it is a cut corn field and a sky full of hungry ducks and geese. My good stuff has yet to arrive ,I hope you are enjoying your good stuff as we speak. Have a great day.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Any dickmunch with a dozen decoys and a robo can decoy mallards. I don't see what's so special about them. I'd rather shoot widgeon any day of the week. When we are in the fields widgeon are leading the pack into the decoys many days and they get hammered.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting