How many

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

How many

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:02 pm

How many of you fellow Kansas duck hunters are going to keep the waders dry this next weekend and go chase Pheasants and Quail
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Re: How many

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Hopefully most of them
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 pm

That was my plan but the farmer didn't want us to disturb the birds with another group hunting the next week. So my father and I might hunt ducks or go to a preserve. Trying to hunt public land would be a joke. I personally prefer upland hunting to duck hunting.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 am

I was excited that I actually heard a covey of quail this morning. My GSP died in 2010 and there aren't enough birds to warrant getting another. My pheasant hunting contact hasn't seen a rooster since early august. No sense in making the trek for that.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:28 pm

This coming weekend Im going after Pheasants out in Northwest Kansas, Its a traditional get together that started 51 years ago, last year there were 32 of us. Now that might seem like a lot of hunters, but if you saw the size of the fields we hunt you might think we need more LOL. We hunt private ground mostly and some walk in. Im not expecting much in the way of birds this year, however I do believe it will be better than last year. In one sense we are lucky ,one of the hunters we have is a local rural mailman, so we have a edge on knowing where the birds are. Also on the agenda is a giant dinner on Saturday night, so even if we don't get many birds we will eat very well ' Good luck to all you guys and safe hunting to you'

BTW a lot of people think theres no where to hunt but I beg to differ, theres all kind of walkin areas to hunt that never get touched by hunters, a person just has to do some early fall scouting, willing to drive a ways, spend the money for a hotel and food, AND get away from the known pheasant hot spots near the bigger cites like Dodge City, Hays, etc. I personally know of an farmer that leases several acres of good pheasant ground to the state for walk in and he tells me its hunted maybe once a year if at all.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:25 pm

I couldn't agree more. You guys need to go hunt pheasants more.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Ecat, next week end is usually the only weekend I hunt pheasants, but, I know what you mean. The marshes this year have been a cluster with so many hunters. My 2 hunting buddies and I plan on doing quite a bit of midweek duck hunting up to the 1st of December and then concentrate on geese, BUT, should you run into 1old pleasingly plump guy and 2 tall skinny old farts in a Brown King Ranch 4x4 on one of your hunts, you will know we haven't completely put the duck dekes up for the year. :wink:
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

My vacation starts November 12 thru Dec 3. Hoping to do alot of duck hunting. We didn't think that the pheasant hunting could get worse than last year, but apparently it did. Been calling around to biologists as well as family and friends. Everybody says not worth the trip. Good luck to you, I am gonna stay chasing ducks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:07 am

Will head west Friday morning, stopping to hunt ducks along the way. Might as well do both.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 am

If I have the day to go hunting, and it's duck season, then I'm going duck hunting. Doesn't matter if I'm sharing the pool with 17 other parties (and I have been, every day of the week sometimes), I am a duck hunter.

I have found several clusters of pheasants in my travels; last week I saw a group of 4 roosters/2 hens in a spot I'd never seen a pheasant before. Some mornings, I can hear two roosters from my house, crowing early on.
Actually, while pheasant numbers are still pathetic, at least they seem to be up just a bit from last year. Hopefully, next year will see a hatch/survival rate good enough to make them truly huntable. The quail? My conscience won't let me shoot those guys. The few I'm hearing/seeing need some protection, and I intend to give them all I can.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cbass12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:44 am

Leaving for Dodge City friday morning
cbass12
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 am

Jarbo03 wrote:Will head west Friday morning, stopping to hunt ducks along the way. Might as well do both.

DU has stronger Kung Fu than PF

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 pm

What the hell does that mean? They also have more lobbyists, and a green energy agenda.

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 am

Lets not forget more money.

It all adds up to strong Kung Fu, no?

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby midwesthunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm