See any GREEN yet

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

See any GREEN yet

Postby flynfold » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:52 am

Don't want any locations Trying to get a general feel if any mallards have set up shop in Kansas. Enjoy the day!
flynfold
hunter

Re: See any GREEN yet

Postby MinneKans » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm

As of last weekend, a lot of green still here in northern Minnesota. I'm afraid it's going to be a while yet for points south.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Flynfold, try another color, they eat pretty well also, that is except for the other green called spoonies, they taste like crap LOL
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

My buddy Mike sent me a pic. of his hunt this morning, said he saw a few greenies but mainly small ducks .

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Shot 2 greenheads last Sunday. Saw more mallards than anything. There was a few gaddies and wigeon too.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby GanderWhammer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I've gotten one mallard each time out so far which adds up to a grand total of 3. But, have limited on pinnies each time. Can't wait for the green to get down here in larger numbers!
Attachments
Ducks 001.gif
Ducks 004.gif
GanderWhammer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Lots of mallards around if you look for them. Even in the SE zone where "they don't show up until later". My limit last Saturday could've been all mallards if I would've held out, but I live other ducks so much.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:44 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Lots of mallards around if you look for them. Even in the SE zone where "they don't show up until later". My limit last Saturday could've been all mallards if I would've held out, but I live other ducks so much.

I know. Sure would be nice to hunt the SE zone next week, lows in the 20's highs in the 30's with snow. Duck hunt'n weather for sure.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby radfordc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:46 pm

There were mallards flying this week but I didn't get any. I did catch one of these.
Attachments
canvasback.JPG
radfordc
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Hate to one up you radfordc but since we're showing off. I doubled up on these guys the weekend before last. Both are drakes but I'm pretty sure they're immature, they were not very colorful and fairly small for canvasbacks. I'm glad we can shoot 2, they were only the fourth and fifth canvasbacks I've ever seen while hunting and the only 2 I've ever shot. We don't get many divers on the marshes I hunt, maybe a few redheads but that's it and I rarely hunt big water. The picture isn't the best but here you go, there's a widgeon, gadwall and the 2 cans.
Attachments
image.jpg
cyoung24
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 am

3 man limit including 10 Mallards yesterday for 3 of us :yes: all limited out in less than 2 hours with some no so great shooting and NO wind where we setup. After we were done we were covered up in Mallards.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby flynfold » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

I think next week it's suppose to get colder here and up North. My nephew went to my place yesterday and said there was about 500 buff heads on the lake. Love all the great pics and no locations or spots mentioned. I'm thinking this going to be a good year. It's about time after the last two years we have endured.
flynfold
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:18 pm

cyoung24 wrote:We don't get many divers on the marshes I hunt, maybe a few redheads but that's it and I rarely hunt big water.

You know that's the way it usually is, but at the marsh I got the can I also got a bufflehead the day before, and saw a bluebill taken there also. Definitely out of the ordinary. That is the only canvasback I've taken in over 25 years in Kansas.
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 pm

BTW, we are seeing more mallards toward the end of this week. I should have gotten a couple today but my gun broke after the first shot.
radfordc
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:25 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Flynfold, try another color, they eat pretty well also, that is except for the other green called spoonies, they taste like crap LOL

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know they both eat the same thing right?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby FowlPwrcat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Shot 3 real pretty Greenheads today.First ones of the season. It never gets old when your used your the dog bringing you teal then all of the sudden you have a big fat mallard drake in your hands.
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Lots of mallards around if you look for them. Even in the SE zone where "they don't show up until later". My limit last Saturday could've been all mallards if I would've held out, but I live other ducks so much.

You know Ks waterfowler I`m gonna call bullshit on you on this one and that master widgeon killer story also. It seems as no one can post up on here without being subject to your name calling or some form of ridicule from you . In just the last two seasons you have called your fellow forum members stupid , morons ,idiots loudmouths ,Quack,douche-bag, retard, and your latest, dick-munch ,and that`s just the short list . And by the way what is a dick-munch anyway is that, some gay code word for cocksucker. Hell you even told one of the forum members on here (Ecat) you hoped he died in a car wreck. He must have dared to have a differing opinion than yours. I believe it was in that same post where you said " F**k Duck Hunting Chat I`m through with it" I`m quitting this forum. But as luck would have it, here you are spouting your sarcastic laden remarks and cynical opinions . You even went so far as to brag about having your posting privileges suspended for name calling on a different forum. I would have understood it if it was just me you are directing your crap at, considering our diverse opinions regarding the SE zone, but your confrontational attitude and name calling can be seen on a variety of waterfowl forums . Why do you feel the need to be so critical and condescending in your commentary . What does it matter what type of duck a hunter has a preference for or what brand or how many decoys he has ? Why do you think that gives you the right to call him a douche bag , a moron, retard or any other of the derogatory terms your so fond of. It`s no surprise that hunters are reluctant to post -up their experiences here knowing full well they may have to bear the brunt of your criticisms and your , "I could have done it better bullshit stories." I don`t expect anyone to take my word for what I have posted here . I want you to read it all for yourselves It`s all there.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:54 am

Nobody in this area wants a later start. We could be crushing mallards right now. Its a fact. If I would've waited on the opener I would've had all green with a pintail kicker and that's a fact. However mixed bags are readily available. Literally anybody can shoot mallards when they are here that's also a fact. Saw thousands of mallards (in fact all mallards after 0830) and that's a fact. Mallards have been here 2 weeks and there is no denying it. In fact my neighbor and some other folks camped out to have a shot at a couple thousand sitting on the marshes. And I do take video and have video of widgeon leading mallards to slaughter. When we field hunt its usually mallards, pintails, and widgeon but we do have GWT mix it in occasionally.But hey from the time the season opens they will be locked up. However since people don't want to scout they seen to have the idea that they don't show up till later including you. When you screw folks out of hunting days, especially around this area when we will be locked up in almost exactly a month from now it pissed me off. Maybe you should go away with your elitist mallard only attitude.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby O_D » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:06 am

I wouldnt say that they have "set up shop", but we took 26 Mallards last weekend, and also a few pintails and redheads. Quite a few teal around that we passed on because there were enough Mallards flying.
O_D
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 am

:eek:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
cyoung24
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:48 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:Nobody in this area wants a later start. We could be crushing mallards right now. Its a fact. If I would've waited on the opener I would've had all green with a pintail kicker and that's a fact. However mixed bags are readily available. Literally anybody can shoot mallards when they are here that's also a fact. Saw thousands of mallards (in fact all mallards after 0830) and that's a fact. Mallards have been here 2 weeks and there is no denying it. In fact my neighbor and some other folks camped out to have a shot at a couple thousand sitting on the marshes. And I do take video and have video of widgeon leading mallards to slaughter. When we field hunt its usually mallards, pintails, and widgeon but we do have GWT mix it in occasionally.But hey from the time the season opens they will be locked up. However since people don't want to scout they seen to have the idea that they don't show up till later including you. When you screw folks out of hunting days, especially around this area when we will be locked up in almost exactly a month from now it pissed me off. Maybe you should go away with your elitist mallard only attitude.

:lol: I'm going to have to call BS on all of this as well. I live right on the border of the Late and SE zone and hunt the SE zone more than any other. You are just creating stories in an attempt to validate your opinion on the new change. I personally love the new SE zone dates. We didn't start killing decent number of birds until after thanksgiving. I can remember the exact day, December 3rd of last year was 70 degrees. I believe 3 days later on December 6 there was a major front and that was the start of mallards and big ducks in the area. Also, I couldn't help but crack up at saying you shoot teal in the field. I have field hunted ducks my entire life and never seen one teal. I'll give you a pass on the widgeon, although that is a rarity, but teal in the field is great.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:16 am

Believe what you want. 2010 We shot GWT in the same field we shot mallards. It doesn't happen often but it happens. Widgeon and pintails are almost an every feild hunt occurrence around here. Also in 2010 we were locked up by December 14th. Happends like that most years. Then we typically get a slight thaw around Xmas till the first of the year. Then frozen until the last week.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 am

I have been very opposed to the SE zone in the past but I do like the the set up of this season. I was most against the process of how the seasons have been set. Some of my best days last season were in January when it would have been closed in the past. That being said 2010 would have been a very short season. Most people just look at the previous season but each one season is very different, this is Kansas after all. As for shooting teal in a field, that is %100 legit. On a cut corn field hunt 4 years ago we shot green wing teal, widgeon, gadwall, pintails and mallards all in the same day. I have seen teal on multiple field hunts, they usually buzz the blinds so low you can grab them. I have even seen a pair of wood ducks land in a cut corn field while turkey hunting. I'm pretty sure all puddle ducks can and will land in fields if that's where the food is.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Damn, I guess I am wrong then. Never have seen teal land in any cut corn, milo, or peanut fields that I hunt. Mallard, Pinnies, and Wigeons yes, but no teal.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby 007 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:53 pm

John O' Neal doesn't mince words. You gotta respect that.

hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting