La Cygne Lake

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

La Cygne Lake

Postby teal12 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:33 pm

To start off with i Know i am an out of state hunter but i would like to point out that i work in Kansas and spend tons of money in Kansas. I'm not trying to take any ones hunting spot or make any one mad about how out of state hunters are ungrateful tightwads. I am just looking for a place i can hunt that is closer to home. I live about 15 minutes east of Louisburg in Freeman. The MDC recently drained our closest CA to re construct the lake. But to get to my main Questions, How hard is it to hunt the power plant lake and what permits would i need. Is there a permit other than the 48 hour permit that i can get because i plan to hunt quite a bit if possible but 27.50 every 2 days is more than i can afford. Thanks for any help you are willing to give me. And please dont start ripping me for being an Out Of state Hunter
teal12
hunter

Re: La Cygne Lake

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 pm

No special permits are required to hunt the lake . There is a small boat launch fee (a couple bucks )if you launch a boat though. The lake is not hard to hunt but can get pretty rough at times when the wind comes up . I was hunting there alone one day and stayed a little to long on an increasingly windy day . I ended up grounding the boat and walking out . Be safe not sorry . It sounds like the most economical bet for you would be to go ahead and buy a non resident Kansas license. Good luck and good hunting.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 pm

The main lake can be rough in the wind and walk in spots are limited. The warm water discharge area when everything else is frozen is an embarrassment to waterfowl hunting. There was literally guys lining the shore every 50 yards even directly in front of you. If there needs to be a draw anywhere in Kansas it should be there, way too many people trying to hunt a very small area. I had some guys try to water swat a grebe that was swimming in my decoys.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:14 am

The only thing to shoot will be hooded mergansers and the occasional spoonie once the Mallards all decide to raft up in the middle of the lake.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Oh yah, also you'll probably have people fishing in bass boats 40 yards away from you (no joke).
TheMiz
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting