Smart Ducks

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Smart Ducks

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:35 am

Anyone notice that the ducks seem to have wised-up much quicker this year?
Perhaps it's the intense pressure the Bottoms has been receiving every day since the opener. Perhaps I'm unconsciously taking short-cuts?

Two and three years ago, a good floating layout blind was pure poison. This year, many of the ducks seem to know exactly what they are looking at when they make that last turn at 70 yards...and they are gone. They also seem to simply ignore a good decoy spread; they either won't miss a wingbeat or take a quick pause then continue on.
This last week, it's been hard to get birds feet-down over the spread; most of my birds are just passing by. A cupped-and-committed flock is becoming increasingly rare.

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?
mudpack
hunter

Re: Smart Ducks

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Mud, I think the birds are decoy shy, they've seen every layout and brand of decoy since September, we have had the same problem. Last Thursday was the first time weve had ducks work the decoys, Heres what we did, used 16 decoys and 3 Canada decoys. We separated the ducks in to 2 groups separated by about 25 yards and in groups of pairs and 3s with about 10 yards between each group, the 3 Canada dekes were in the 25 yard open area about 50 yards out. The ducks would fly over the Canada decoys and land about 30 yards out. ALSO, we left the spinners at home, those ducks have seen so many spinners the last 3 months they now know how to change the damned batteries.

BTW we didnt use blinds we layed in the tall grass on the dike
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby bturney67 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:02 pm

We are having the same problems down south as well this time of year we can usually works birds. This year I feel like I have been pulling teeth just to get birds to work let alone commit to the spread and we haven't even considered taking spinners.
bturney67
Newb

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:15 pm

We are seeing the same thing. Warm weather, full moon, and extreme hunting pressure make decoying difficult. Of course that won't stop most guys from skyblasting at every high passing flock. Those guys must really like educating birds!......oh, and the occasional cripple. :huh:

I wish guys had to pass an "ethics" class to get a hunting license in this state. One of my hunting partners actually got shot in the arm on Thurs.........guys came in and set up about 75yds from us and cussed us out for shining our spotlight at them when they motored in. Then tossed some decoys between us and shot our direction on the first volley. Game warden was notified of the incident and I don't know what happened, but I hope they never come back.

Geesh, public hunting is KS is fun! :fingerhead:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

TBs, good luck on getting a game warden to do anything, I called in and reported 4 groups of guys shooting as early as 15 minutes. Left him my phone number and he didn't even have the common courtesy to call back, My opinion of them is going down hill fast. As far as the ethics class, if these dummies are stupid enough to set up that close to you and in front of a fire zone, theyre not smart enough to pass a ethics class.

BTW I called that same GW 3 times and never got a response
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Sadly, it's been this way for me all year. We've been having a good season, but it isn't coming easy. Opening day was tough to get em to finish too! :huh:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Hunted a pond yesterday that had been teeming with ducks the day before. Did not see many. Full moon, lack of wind, no other hunters out - any one or a combination of the above could have been our problem. We had good water motion. We did have 3 mallards swing and swing, several times, then move on. We were hidden well, they were spooked by something. Later had a pair come same/ same but we turned the mojo OFF and they finished, right where we planned, after one more swing.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:12 pm

I hunt some pretty remote spots that dont get a ton of pressure, and especially early in the season I usually do pretty well. This year has been tough so far though. I have had more birds circle for long periods or flare for no easily apparent reason than ever before. Im not sure if they got educated early or if I am not paying attention to all the details when setting up. I would like to think its not my fault but it is possible. :smile:
sarjrr
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting