Out Of Staters?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Out Of Staters?

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:51 pm

.......how about these:

I hunted this morning with two young men who read about hunting Cheyenne Bottoms several years ago and decided to pull the trigger on this duck hunting trip. So, they flew in...from Norway. Nils and Staale (pronounced: Stola); two of the nicest guys you'd ever want to share a duck blind with.
We went to a spot that has produced well for us the last three years, and wouldn't you know; it was completely changed. While we saw a ton of ducks and geese in the air, they were all headed for other parts of the county. We all had a good time, regardless.
Anecdote: one was shooting a new Versa Max. He said in Norway it costs the equivalent of $3000US.

Guess we ain't got it so bad.... :rolleyes:
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Out Of Staters?

Postby dukhntr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Glad to hear some good from Out of staters on this board...My buddies from Colorado just left today. They came in late Friday. We hunted yesterday and shot 15 mallards. Should have killed more but shooting was crappy. Only scratched out 4 today. Great time with awesome friends, birds or no birds, it was great!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:35 am

Last week had encounters with trucks from IOWA, OKLAHOMA, NEBRASKA, COLORADO, and MICHIGAN. All coming to KS to hunt ducks and some also deer. Most of them are camping out and choosing not to spend money at local motels. They do occasionally eat out, but most prepare food at thier cabin in the state park or in thier camper. So, the money they bring to the local economy is minimal. Of course the pressure and impact they have on the birds in the area is immense. My buddies and I packed up from the motel, and went home. The OOS'ers plan to hunt EVERY DAY for the rest of the week, so there is really no reason to hang around any longer. Those guys are fine with skyblasting high flyers passing by, but we won't do that. Maybe its time to leave KS and become an OOSer myself? I cannot stomach the crap that happens on most of our states public waters anymore. Event the game wardens in many areas are angry with the influx of hunters and pressure and NONE of them I've spoken to thus far are happy with the addition of "T" to "KDWP".

Rant over. Good luck to you and yours this holiday week, I'm hanging it up for awhile.

"Nothin a duck hunter hates more than other duck hunters!" I think that will be my signature line from now on... :beer:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:53 am

I wouldn't put all oosers in the same category. I've been to a lot of public places and see a lot of your own idiots doing the same thing. Some people just need to get a clue and think.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Its not only OOS people, Ive seen my share of Kansas idiots this year also. BUT the great state of Kansas Tourism group has done more than its share of pimping out our great out door resources. To bad they weren't smart enough to figure out most of these hunters come in 5th Wheels/ RVs, bring in their own food supplies, hunting supplies etc and the only thing they buy is the license and fuel for their vehicles.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Last week I talked to waterfowl hunters here from Florida, S. Carolina, Texas, and Arkansas. Only one party was staying in a motel and eating at local restaurants.
Other than non-resident licenses and some fuel, I fail to see where OOS hunters are contributing all that much to our economy.
Perhaps the Hon. Brownback believes that even a few dollars added to Kansas' coffers is worth any amount of loss of hunting opportunities for the resident Kansas hunter?
Don't get me wrong, the OOS hunters are playing by the rules, and are very nice guys.....just like you and me, in fact......and I welcomed them and gave them some tips, but pandering by our state officials at the expense of the rest of us just chaps my hide.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Thedozer wrote:I wouldn't put all oosers in the same category. I've been to a lot of public places and see a lot of your own idiots doing the same thing. Some people just need to get a clue and think.

I totally agree, in some cases resident slobs are much worse that OOSers.

The bottom line whether its NR or R, I just don't enjoy hunting crowded lakes and marshes where guys are tossing up hail mary's at every passing flock. They educate everything, cripple a few, and ruin the hunting for guys that want to decoy a bird to the water, identify it before shooting, kill it with one shot, and watch a well trained retriever go pick it up.

I would love to just hunt private all season long, and leave the crowds behind me but I don't have the bank account for that. Last season I was ready to hang it up, and sold a bunch of my stuff. Guess I'm remembering why I did that now.......... :fingerhead:
TBS
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 am

Hey I agree 100%. I wish there was a shell limit on a lot of these places. When your out your done.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:09 am

Thedozer wrote:Hey I agree 100%. I wish there was a shell limit on a lot of these places. When your out your done.

That rule would be impossible to enforce, heck they cant even enforce the 30 minute before sunrise shooting times. opening day 5 groups of idiots were shooting 15 minutes early. I called a GW 3 times and never even got a call back. I do believe if they went back to a 3 bird limit, it would knock a lot of the Duck Dynasty hunters out of the sport. Id rather shoot 3 birds and have a quality hunt than a 6 bird limit and have every body and their brother out there messing it up for everyone
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 am

cluckmeister wrote:
Thedozer wrote:Hey I agree 100%. I wish there was a shell limit on a lot of these places. When your out your done.

That rule would be impossible to enforce, heck they cant even enforce the 30 minute before sunrise shooting times. opening day 5 groups of idiots were shooting 15 minutes early. I called a GW 3 times and never even got a call back. I do believe if they went back to a 3 bird limit, it would knock a lot of the Duck Dynasty hunters out of the sport. Id rather shoot 3 birds and have a quality hunt than a 6 bird limit and have every body and their brother out there messing it up for everyone

Agreed. I'd even support a 1 bird drake only limit per hunter. To me, its the "way birds work and decoy" that makes it fun, not the numbers at the end of the day. The only thing that can ruin my experience is other arsehats doing their best to be arsehats! With the continually increasing pressure on public waters, expect to see more and more of the same. Once the pressure starts to die down some, we may see a return of decent waterfowling in this state.
TBS
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm

TBS I fully agree
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby champer196 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I loved the days of two duck limits. Hardly ever saw another hunter. I hated that the duck population was in a state of emergency but boy did the ducks work nicely. There was nobody hunting except for a handfull of faithfuls.

Go back to 3 or 4 duck limits and I agree the duck dynasty boys would be back in the skateboard park tearing it up on their boards.
champer196
hunter

Postby elkmo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:04 am

Wow KS duck hunters complaining about NR's....try going to Bob Brown or Nodaway and look at all the KS tags in the parking lot....seriously! Ever go to the Parma Woods shooting range? Again full of JO tags....paying the same price as me to use it although my money built the thing. Want to bring your KS youth to MO for a deer hunt no problem....a whopping $8 and your in. Want to take a NR kid to KS to hunt deer.....$100's of dollars.
elkmo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:33 am

Of course, OOS'ers can be the same problem everywhere.
Most of us try to be exemplary hunters everywhere we go, at home and away. But it's the few jerks that get all the press.
mudpack
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:48 am

every state has the same complaint with OOS'rs. evidently you can only hunt right when you are in your home state, cross state lines and immediately become a jake leg :biggrin:

i fancy myself a jayhawker as i was born and grew up there till my 20's, now i reside across the line in MO because it's cheaper. i like to think i hunt the same in both states, yes even when i'm at cheyenne bottoms. nice that they have a little water this year. oh and i spend money in the economy. something tells me if i understood Spanish i wouldn't spend as much as it's hard to bargain with folks out there for English speaking folks :yes:
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:16 pm

In Kansas some guys think if you're from out of county you shouldn't be hunting there!

Hey...those are my ducks...you can't have any! :crying:
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:11 pm

cluckmeister wrote: opening day 5 groups of idiots were shooting 15 minutes early. I called a GW 3 times and never even got a call back.

Not surprised. Do you know how overwhelmed state and federal agents are on opening day??
Doubt they have time to visit the crapper before about 8PM.

radfordc wrote:In Kansas some guys think if you're from out of county you shouldn't be hunting there!
Hey...those are my ducks...you can't have any! :crying:

True, but Kansas does not have a monopoly on those types.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Not surprised. Do you know how overwhelmed state and federal agents are on opening day??
Doubt they have time to visit the crapper before about 8PM

Mud, I realize these guys are busy and understaffed, but I called 3 days in a row and never got a response.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:40 pm

On the thought of OOSers, My buddy and I were hunting a big lake Saturday morning, when from out of no where behind us a voice said Excuse me, we turned around and there in the brush behind us stood a fellow with orange on. He introduced himself and politely ask us, if him, his son and 12 year old grandson would be bothering us if they hunted a CRP field about 400 yards beyond the brush for pheasants as they had seen a few run in from the road. 400 yards? Heck that's almost quarter of a mile. I told him to hunt all they wanted and Thanks for asking. I wish some of these clowns that set up 75 yards from your decoy set would learn a few manners from the nice and courteous fellow from Missouri.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby labralover » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I've been hunting Kansas as an oos for eight years and for the most part have found the locals to be good people and good waterfowl hunters who appreciate guys who do it the right way. I have met two great friends on your public waters. Of course there will always be a few bad apples on both sides. Here is what I have noticed. The people you will have trouble with as an oos are the guys who don't do it the right way. Jealousy comes into play here, they are just jealous that the oos are killing birds they can't. Residents usually only have problems with the oos that hunts unethical. Residents also take offense to oos that “take" their spot. This happens because the oos have nothing else to do but scout and hunt, no responsibilities at home or work obligations, just hunting. It only makes sense that they have no problem getting there earlier. Also the vast majority of guys taking these trips are accomplished hunters. A weekend warrior won't waste the time or $ on a trip. This also creates jealousy cause they generally adapt and kill birds that others can't. My advise is get better or stop complaining. Almost every state deals with oos hunting whether it's iowa deer,co elk, or ga quail. It's part of being a sportsman. Get over it. See y'all next week.
labralover
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Labralover, your post was good except for the last few sentences. I too am an out of stater that hunts KS every Thanksgiving while visiting my sister. I take the attitude that I am a guest in the state while I'm hunting KS. You should too by retracting your "get better at it" and "get over it" comments.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby labralover » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:58 pm

MinneKans, I re-read my post. You are right. Should have probably left out the jabs. I was a little fired up after reading some of the previous posts inferring that us OOSers do not benefit then or their state in any way...
I do apologize if I offended anyone, like I said I have enjoyed most of the people I have encountered while hunting in KS.
labralover
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:44 am

Labralover,

If you think you and other non residents are superior hunters than those of us who live in the area I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. There are certainly plenty of below average resident waterfowlers (beginners)in this state but the increasing frequency of disrespectful OOSers coming to ks is why you see the comments above. I'm not saying you are a bad hunter or disrespectful in any way but you are painting with a pretty wide brush my friend. Anytime I've ever hunted in other states it has been with other locals who invited me and knew the conditions bird movements and patterns because they scouted every day. I would never be arrogant enough to think I could come to your state and show you up on your turf.

My main beef with the explosion of duck hunters in ks is not a competition thing. We always get up early enough to get our spot and know how to kill birds the right way. Problem is most of these guys now days sit out there and skyblast at every passing flock from sunrise to sunset. They educate every bird and that makes hunting the traditional way over decoys much more difficult. I really wish they closed the public areas at 1 pm to give birds some time to rest because the hunting pressure has become intense the past few seasons and is getting worse every year.
TBS
hunter

Postby labralover » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 pm

TBS, I realize that my last two comments set the tone for my entire post, but I was not saying that I or other nonresidents are superior hunters. Just the opposite actually, I have continued to come to KS for a number of reasons, one being the amount of quality waterfowlers we come across. The point I was trying to make is that a few bad apples, residents or not contribute to the majority of the problems. Everyone seems to remember the few jerks that ruin a hunt but never compliment the group across the way that let birds work, killed green, and didn't cause any problems. The few issues we have run into on the water, here at home or across several states in our flyway that We choose to hunt always, always, always come from a group that don't hunt like you and I. That's we're jealousy comes into play...the guys that are shooting at high passing birds will never kill as many birds as the guys that do it right, and when they don't they get upset and blame it on the trucks at the ramp that don't have license plates that look like theirs. Like you I am lucky enough to hunt with residents that know the birds in the area. I think we are coming from the same place. You say don't paint with a wide brush and lump all KS residents in the same, poor, category. I challenge you to do the same with nonresidents. You are right when you say that KS has become a destination for nonresidents lately and the more you get the bigger chance you have to find bad apples. Unfortunately the glamorization of waterfowling in recent years has changed our sport. That is out of our control. we must adapt, continue to hunt the way we were taught, and hope the recent trends go by the wayside and those guys go back to deer hunting. I really hope to meet some of you guys this week.
labralover
hunter

Postby TBS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:55 am

labralover wrote:TBS, I realize that my last two comments set the tone for my entire post, but I was not saying that I or other nonresidents are superior hunters. Just the opposite actually, I have continued to come to KS for a number of reasons, one being the amount of quality waterfowlers we come across. The point I was trying to make is that a few bad apples, residents or not contribute to the majority of the problems. Everyone seems to remember the few jerks that ruin a hunt but never compliment the group across the way that let birds work, killed green, and didn't cause any problems. The few issues we have run into on the water, here at home or across several states in our flyway that We choose to hunt always, always, always come from a group that don't hunt like you and I. That's we're jealousy comes into play...the guys that are shooting at high passing birds will never kill as many birds as the guys that do it right, and when they don't they get upset and blame it on the trucks at the ramp that don't have license plates that look like theirs. Like you I am lucky enough to hunt with residents that know the birds in the area. I think we are coming from the same place. You say don't paint with a wide brush and lump all KS residents in the same, poor, category. I challenge you to do the same with nonresidents. You are right when you say that KS has become a destination for nonresidents lately and the more you get the bigger chance you have to find bad apples. Unfortunately the glamorization of waterfowling in recent years has changed our sport. That is out of our control. we must adapt, continue to hunt the way we were taught, and hope the recent trends go by the wayside and those guys go back to deer hunting. I really hope to meet some of you guys this week.

I can agree with most of what you are saying here, but it sure didnt' come across that way in your first post. Anyway, if you will go back through this thread, you will see that I have NOT painted all OOS'ers with a "wide brush." I actually made specific reference to resident slobs. Second, you are correct waterfowling has exploded in popularity and Kansas has pimped our outdoor resources to near extinction. I can honestly say that the problem is more duck hunters in general. The OOSers just catch most of the flack because they come, camp out and hunt, hunt, hunt until the place is burned up. Then they leave, go back home and don't have to deal with all the stale birds and mess they left behind. Many of the resident hunters try to maintain a level of hunting quality that we desire by not shooting into big flocks and only taking birds in the decoys. To us, the "quality" of the hunt is more imporatant that the "quantity" of birds we bag. But don't get me wrong, we kill more than our fare share of birds. The problem is that over the past 3-4 seasons we've seen more, and more, and more, and more hunters out there. Many of them residents, many of them OOSers. And, during that time we've seen the quality of hunting get worse, and worse, and worse. What can I say, public places are open to anyone. I don't own those waters and neither does anyone else, so its not a jealousy thing, its a get used to it or quit type of thing. Until we get less waterfowl hunters in this state, we will continue to see a decline in the "quality" of duck hunting. Most of the shore pounders and weekend warriors won't stop because they are happy with shooting a box of shells through their gun each day and bringing home 1 or 2 birds to show their buddies on facebook. But those of us who are used to doing it right and seeing the show over the decoys will be the ones to give it up first.

I wish the pheasant and quail population would rebound. I wish there were more deer hunters that didn't lease everything and oust the blue collar guys from all the private lands. I wish the duck seasons were fewer days and lower limits. Anything to thin out the number of hunters that are pressuring our limited waters would be a step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps KS could start limiting waterfowl permits per season? Oh, wait I forgot they are trying to do the exact opposite!

Forgive me, for this long time KS duck hunter is frustrated with the circus that has become public duck hunting in this state.

:beer:
TBS
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting