Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Hello fellow fowlers. I'll be headed up to the McPherson / Marquette area tuesday evening and will be there until Sunday afternoon. I have never chased any waterfowl in those parts and was wanting a change of pace from our typical upland bird hunting. Since my time is limited and I will be without my boat I thought I would extend an offer to whomever is interested for a hunt in NE oklahoma or central arkansas for a hunt up here. I am staying in Marquette but I am willing to drive to meet up. I'd be more than willing to pay for gas and buy a few rounds after the hunt. PM me if you'd be interested and we can exchange some information. Thanks
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR


Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Id say McPherson is froze over
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:44 am

There are several Late Zone areas close to McPherson where our friend can hunt. Hopefully some of our locals there can extend the friendly offer of a hunt.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 am

Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts. Had access to some farm ponds and some land along the smoky hill river. Hunted the river the first morning since everything was locked up, shot a 3 man limit by 7:30, mostly gadwall and widgeon. Got a 2 man limit on a pond the next day, mostly mallard. then topped off the trip with a dry field hunt and did work on specks and pintails. You guys have a very solid population in that area right now, wish I could have stayed longer. Back to arkansas and OK fighting the crowds, best of luck to you guys
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:27 am

UofAduckman1987 wrote:Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts... shot a 3 man limit by 7:30,.... Got a 2 man limit on a pond the next day


Let me see if I understand you correctly: you are hunting by yourself, and shot 30 Kansas birds in two days??
Either I'm reading this wrong or you can stay the hell out of our state.

I'm hoping it's the former..... :huh:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby sarjrr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:21 am

Mudpack Im glad you said something. I was thinking same thing. Show up blind in KS when everything is borderline frozen up, then shoot apparently 18 gadwalls and widgeons on river (my experience is not a lot of those on river...generally mallards), then shoot mallards on pond that was frozen solid the day before (btw-if I shot a 3 man limit on the river in 30min then Im going back there the next day and not heading to a pond that was just frozen), then shoot specks and pintails field hunting. Either it was the best trip in the history of out-of-staters since shot a wide variety of species on 3 completely different types of hunts, or the story is bs. If true, then good for you bud. Seems a little iffy though.
User avatar
sarjrr
hunter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 am
Location: central ks

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:01 pm

mudpack wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts... shot a 3 man limit by 7:30,.... Got a 2 man limit on a pond the next day


Let me see if I understand you correctly: you are hunting by yourself, and shot 30 Kansas birds in two days??
Either I'm reading this wrong or you can stay the hell out of our state.

I'm hoping it's the former..... :huh:

Friendly folks over here..... I ask for a little help and get nothing, say I shot some birds and I must be an untruthful, illegal, scum of the earth.

I hunted with my two brother in laws and a one day field hunt when my father in law joined in as well. Nothing illegal, nothing untruthful. Sorry y'all are butthurt I shot your birds but they were so much more friendly than you!

Got in Tuesday night at 11pm, busted ice in a pond and set up a ice eater contraption, cruised down to the river to look for a spot and chased up 3 dozen birds after hiking the river for 1.5 hours. So it was about 3 am when I crawled into bed. Woke up at 5:30 and set up on river, shot limit by 7:30. Went back to bed, checked pond at 4, handful of birds but let em sit. Hunted pond thanksgiving day morning quit at 8 am with 15 birds mostly mallard, cooked duck for dinner for the family, went to bed. Got a hold of a guide that set us up Friday morning wher we shot the specks and pins. Great guy unlike you two....

I'm sorry for busting my butt and making something out of nothing, you guys are worthless. Here's some pics for you non believers.... Wish one of you would have been a bit friendlier and I would have asked you to join! Guess there's a reason they call it southern hospitality and not Midwest haha, good luck turds.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

UofA, with your sentence as it was written, its easy to understand the confusion about the limits you reported.

--Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts-- When I fend for myself , it means I WAS BY MYSELF, it doesn't mean I hunted with 2 or 3 other guys.

Im sure if a Kansas fellow entered a post written as you did, the guys in your state might be a bit upset also. So to this old fellows thinking you have no reason to be testy or call people names.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:42 pm

cluckmeister wrote:UofA, with your sentence as it was written, its easy to understand the confusion about the limits you reported.

--Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts-- When I fend for myself , it means I WAS BY MYSELF, it doesn't mean I hunted with 2 or 3 other guys.

Im sure if a Kansas fellow entered a post written as you did, the guys in your state might be a bit upset also. So to this old fellows thinking you have no reason to be testy or call people names.

I guess I didn't think one would assume that a respectable person such as myself would publicly brag about shooting 3 times their daily limit. Guess we don't refer to the number of birds we shot personally as multi person limits down here, huh weird. When I hear "3 man limit" I generally assume there were a minimum of...... 3 men, man that's strange. I graciously asked for a hand in hunting an area I was not familiar with and offered to return the favor to anyone willing to help. Doesn't seem indicative of the criminal I was accused of being.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:10 pm

UofA, in this day and age its good to try and explain everything in detail, I have seen guys on the DU report site brag about killing more than their limit of birds and when I called them out on it their reply was Who cares. I personally also don't offer info to anyone, not even my neighbors about hunting in Kansas. I figure if I can take a extra day to scout an area when I go to a different state, OSSs can do the same when they come to Kansas. The internet is full of info if one takes the time to do his home work. Also I don't offer to trade hunts, reason being, I don't know how safe you are with a gun, what your hunter ethics are etc. If you desire to go out with a loaded weapon and hunt with a complete stranger, well its your rear that's on the line. Im damned picky who I hunt with. As for the guys here on the chat site, I really don't think anyone convicted you, but with the way your post was written it did raise some concern. As I said earlier, after from some of the posts Ive seen on the DU site , your post caused my eyebrows to raise a bit
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:13 am

mudpack wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:Well boys, I was able to fend for myself and scratched out a few good hunts... shot a 3 man limit by 7:30,.... Got a 2 man limit on a pond the next day


Let me see if I understand you correctly: you are hunting by yourself, and shot 30 Kansas birds in two days??
Either I'm reading this wrong or you can stay the hell out of our state.

I'm hoping it's the former..... :huh:


:lol: :no:

Jesus , we gotta bunch of literature majors up in here duckman
User avatar
ArkansasRobertson
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:35 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 am

Jesus , we gotta bunch of literature majors up in here duckman

I guess you have a few Lit majors down there in Ark also, I called my cousin, that lives in Mena and had him read the entire post. He read and took it the same way I did.

BTW, we call it the Ar Kansas River up here LOL
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby sarjrr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 am

UofA
Yes I was busting your butt about it, because there are lots of guys on here that are good hunters, work hard at it, and arent able to get on them like you did. Plus the way it was written made it seem like something wasnt quite right. If something doesnt seem right then I will question it. Im not too big to admit I was wrong though. Good job!
User avatar
sarjrr
hunter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 am
Location: central ks

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 am

UofAduckman1987 wrote:I guess I didn't think one would assume that a respectable person such as myself would publicly brag about shooting 3 times their daily limit...etc. etc. .


uofa, we don't assume that anyone is respectable on this forum; respectability has to be demonstrated. Your post was misleading, to more than one person, and you had the chance to clarify your meaning. Instead you demonstrated, amply I might add, just how respectable you are.

Your very first post indicated...to me, at least... that you had no local contacts, and wanted someone to take you hunting. Now you say you have three family members here who hosted you. Why did you ask US for help?? :huh:
Your posts seem to contain things that raise more questions than they answer.

As it turns out, I actually did not read your post the way you intended, and for that I apologize. But you know what? You can still stay the hell out of our state.
I bet your in-laws are so proud of you.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 am

mudpack wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:I guess I didn't think one would assume that a respectable person such as myself would publicly brag about shooting 3 times their daily limit...etc. etc. .


uofa, we don't assume that anyone is respectable on this forum; respectability has to be demonstrated. Your post was misleading, to more than one person, and you had the chance to clarify your meaning. Instead you demonstrated, amply I might add, just how respectable you are.

Your very first post indicated...to me, at least... that you had no local contacts, and wanted someone to take you hunting. Now you say you have three family members here who hosted you. Why did you ask US for help?? :huh:
Your posts seem to contain things that raise more questions than they answer.

As it turns out, I actually did not read your post the way you intended, and for that I apologize. But you know what? You can still stay the hell out of our state.
I bet your in-laws are so proud of you.[/quote
None of the family lives in KS, that cabin you see in the background is a hunting cabin we just constructed. We all met there from Texas arkansas and Oklahoma. None of us had ever hunted ducks in that area, we got lucky and busted our tails to shoot those birds. Sorry if I got a little defensive but I was hoping for a little congratulation on a good hunt not getting crucified for it. What other questions do you Mud? You seem to be very respectable yourself and your antics make me want to hunt your beloved state even more, I'll make sure to keep you posted on my success. my in laws read this post last night as well and were very surprised at your responses. They said I shouldn't have called you turds so I'll take that back, sorry guys.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 am

sarjrr wrote:UofA
Yes I was busting your butt about it, because there are lots of guys on here that are good hunters, work hard at it, and arent able to get on them like you did. Plus the way it was written made it seem like something wasnt quite right. If something doesnt seem right then I will question it. Im not too big to admit I was wrong though. Good job!

Sorry about my attitude towards you sarjrr, I was very pleased with how the week of hunting turned out and can not wait to get back and do it again. I'm not accustomed to being criticized for good hunts so it set me off, in the future I will be more clear on describing my hunts so nothing is left to question. Thanks for your response.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 am

cluckmeister wrote:UofA, in this day and age its good to try and explain everything in detail, I have seen guys on the DU report site brag about killing more than their limit of birds and when I called them out on it their reply was Who cares. I personally also don't offer info to anyone, not even my neighbors about hunting in Kansas. I figure if I can take a extra day to scout an area when I go to a different state, OSSs can do the same when they come to Kansas. The internet is full of info if one takes the time to do his home work. Also I don't offer to trade hunts, reason being, I don't know how safe you are with a gun, what your hunter ethics are etc. If you desire to go out with a loaded weapon and hunt with a complete stranger, well its your rear that's on the line. Im damned picky who I hunt with. As for the guys here on the chat site, I really don't think anyone convicted you, but with the way your post was written it did raise some concern. As I said earlier, after from some of the posts Ive seen on the DU site , your post caused my eyebrows to raise a bit

Cluck, that's your prerogative and I won't question it. I am more than willing to help someone out especially when traveling to my state, especially if they offered to return the favor in their home area. Guess I'm a little more trusting but so far I've made a few good connections doing it my way and probably will continue to do so until I get burned. All I was hoping for was a little cooperation between people with a common interest. In the future my posts will be written more clearly so to not confuse you untrusting souls.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 am

UofAduckman1987 wrote:
mudpack wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:I guess I didn't think one would assume that a respectable person such as myself would publicly brag about shooting 3 times their daily limit...etc. etc. .


uofa, we don't assume that anyone is respectable on this forum; respectability has to be demonstrated. Your post was misleading, to more than one person, and you had the chance to clarify your meaning. Instead you demonstrated, amply I might add, just how respectable you are.

Your very first post indicated...to me, at least... that you had no local contacts, and wanted someone to take you hunting. Now you say you have three family members here who hosted you. Why did you ask US for help?? :huh:
Your posts seem to contain things that raise more questions than they answer.

As it turns out, I actually did not read your post the way you intended, and for that I apologize. But you know what? You can still stay the hell out of our state.
I bet your in-laws are so proud of you.[/quote


None of the family lives in KS, that cabin you see in the background is a hunting cabin we just constructed. We all met there from Texas arkansas and Oklahoma. None of us had ever hunted ducks in that area, we got lucky and busted our tails to shoot those birds. Sorry if I got a little defensive but I was hoping for a little congratulation on a good hunt not getting crucified for it. What other questions do you have Mud? You seem to be very respectable yourself and your antics make me want to hunt your beloved state even more, I'll make sure to keep you posted on my success. my in laws read this post last night as well and were very surprised at your responses. They said I shouldn't have called you turds so I'll take that back, sorry guys.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby TomKat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:00 am

I think we need a sharp increase in license fees. Something along the lines of what they have in SD.



Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11497
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 am

TomKat wrote:I think we need a sharp increase in license fees. Something along the lines of what they have in SD.



Blog- http://www.ksducks.com

Yeah you're right, discourage people to enjoy natural resources, seems logical. And if you're worried about my family not providing any additional income for the state of kansas you are way off sir, that cabin behind the birds was constructed by local builders and all of the furnishings inside were bought in either Salina or Wichita. We buy all of our food for the week we were there at local grocers and go to the local bars in the evenings. We paid good money for a solid guide service and even bought a case of shells and a new shotgun for a Christmas present for my father in law at the local gun shop. What's the point you are trying to make tom?
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby champer196 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Glad you and your friends had some good hunts!
champer196
hunter
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:16 pm

UofAduckman1987 wrote:None of us had ever hunted ducks in that area, we got lucky and busted our tails to shoot those birds.


UofAduckman1987 wrote: We paid good money for a solid guide service and .....?



Man, you keep posting things that confuse poor hayseeds like me.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm

I got a little confused when he said something about none of them live here. They just constructed this lodge and all met here from various states. :huh:
User avatar
EcatMagoo
hunter
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm

mudpack wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:None of us had ever hunted ducks in that area, we got lucky and busted our tails to shoot those birds.


UofAduckman1987 wrote: We paid good money for a solid guide service and .....?



Man, you keep posting things that confuse poor hayseeds like me.

Read post #7.we hunted multiple days and one day we used a guide for a goose hunt
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Swap a hunt. OK or AR for a Kansas hunt

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:I got a little confused when he said something about none of them live here. They just constructed this lodge and all met here from various states. :huh:

My father in law owns property that he leases for farming. We hunt it and built a cabin for our hunting trips and holidays when we get the family together. My parents in law may retire there some day. It's a nice place.
User avatar
UofAduckman1987
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 am
Location: Fayetteville AR

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests