Rules and regulations hunting big water

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Rules and regulations hunting big water

Postby reconcoupe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Ok, so I mostly hunt the wetlands around Milford, The Republican north of Milford and the Kansas River. I'm wanting to switch it up a little (river wasn't looking good the other day and the wetlands are freezing) and hunt on the Reservoir. Both deeper water and closer to shore. Most extreme example would be rigging up a dozen or so decoys with 20 feet of line and hunting the middle of the res.

I've searched all the brochures and the regulations I can find. I've never seen anyone hunt the middle. I know the land around Milford I can hunt, but have no idea nor can I find anything as to the legality ect of hunting the big water of Milford. My next stop is to try to call the Region 2 office tomorrow or Monday, but figured I'd stop here first. Any knowledge or know where to look? FYI, I'm military from Idaho and not to familiar with the complete in and outs of Kansas yet with only 1 1/2 seasons here.

Thanks

Edit- I only wonder because of the amount of private/no-hunting land/state parks surrounding the Reservoir, so is the water still public to hunt even it it borders the no-hunting land next to it (and wheres the boundery, high water line like the 3 public rivers?)
reconcoupe
hunter

Re: Rules and regulations hunting big water

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Recon since no one has posted an answer, Im going out on a limb and say you can hunt anywhere on the water you wish EXCEPT for the refuge area . Most big lakes in Kansas mark the refuges with floating buoys and you cannot go in side the buoys. Years ago there was a fellow that anchored his boat about 40 yards off of the refuge buoys at Cheney and shot the heck out of ducks, I asked the local game warden if this was legal and he said yes as long as the boat isn't between the refuge shore line and buoys. He said also a hunter can go anywhere on the lake and hunt, but don't boat out, set the decoys and then hunt on land because a lot of the area land is private. Hope this helps, please post when you find out something from the officials.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:44 pm

reconcoupe wrote:I've searched all the brochures and the regulations I can find. I've never seen anyone hunt the middle.

If the specific regulations for Milford Reservoir do not prohibit hunting "in the middle"...and I don't know why they would....then you can do it. I assume you are going to do it out of a true layout boat, since a normal blind on a johnboat might not be all that effective.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 pm

That was going to be my question... How do you plan to conceal yourself?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:15 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:That was going to be my question... How do you plan to conceal yourself?

In the instance I hunt open on the water out towards the middle I have a Stealth 1200 with a small flip blind. Not quite layout but not quite duck blind. For hunting closer to shore I'll use the boat with a blind. Went to Milford State Park this afternoon, asked some of the older gents that always seem to be "camping" there if they see people out in the inlets hunting. They said they see it often. So while not a definitive answer seemed to confirm my suspicion that public water as long as its not marked no hunting is fair game.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:49 pm

reconcoupe wrote: Went to Milford State Park this afternoon, asked some of the older gents that always seem to be "camping" there if they see people out in the inlets hunting. They said they see it often. So while not a definitive answer seemed to confirm my suspicion that public water as long as its not marked no hunting is fair game.

While your assumption is probably correct, you don't always get accurate information on hunting regulations from non-hunters.
There should have been pamphlets available outside the headquarters that spell out specific hunting rules on Milford. Why, may I ask, didn't you avail yourself of these resources? :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 am

When the question came up I looked at the Corps of Eng site for Milford lake and the brochures don't make it clear about hunting the open water on the lake. http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/Locations ... dLake.aspx

Would the HQ have more info than the website?
radfordc
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Good luck! I've seen Milford go from glass calm to 4' rollers in minutes. No way I'd hunt it in a layout boat or in the "middle". I almost (prolly should have) died a couple years ago...I may post pics and a story some day...
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm

dukhntr your absolutely right about how the wind in Kansas can changed things in a minute. About 25 years ago, I was hunting Cheney reservoir and it was as calm as could be, when I sat my dekes the water was knee high, 2 hours later the wind changed and the water was pushing waves almost to the tops of my waders, I didn't think Id ever get 4 doz decoys picked up. unfortunately the 2 guys that were in a small 14 Jon Boat didn't survive that day.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Another wind story for you. I was hunting Glen Elder in the early 90's with a buddy of mine. We had a little fishing boat I was using to get to this little island out on the lake. Calm/clear day. Left the boat on he main lake side of the island and walked to the other side to hunt. It was a slow hunting day and were only able to take 1 blue bill each.

During the next couple of hours the wind picked up and the waves washed over the back end of the boat filling 1/2 of it with water. We didn't have any way to get the water out of the boat. We were stranded on this island with the sun quickly setting. No cell phones so we made a fire roasted our blue bills, and waited.

An hour or so after sun down our families became worried and called the local game wardens. After searching for us they eventually spotted the fire and rescued us around 10:00 p.m.
Last edited by EcatMagoo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Ecat Id a blown a hole in that little boat when I left and never ventured out on a Kansas lake again LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby reconcoupe » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:16 am

mudpack wrote:
reconcoupe wrote: Went to Milford State Park this afternoon, asked some of the older gents that always seem to be "camping" there if they see people out in the inlets hunting. They said they see it often. So while not a definitive answer seemed to confirm my suspicion that public water as long as its not marked no hunting is fair game.

While your assumption is probably correct, you don't always get accurate information on hunting regulations from non-hunters.
There should have been pamphlets available outside the headquarters that spell out specific hunting rules on Milford. Why, may I ask, didn't you avail yourself of these resources? :huh:

As pointed out the brochures aren't very clear as to hunting the water. Searched the corp and kdwpt websites up and down. When I get back from the field next week I'll make some more calls. As far as the weather I knew how bad the waves can get. Got some good experience in small board in big water. I said most extreme example though. Chances are I'd get lazy 100yds out paddling and set up :yes:
reconcoupe
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting