Last Day...

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Last Day...

Postby big_countryks » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:21 pm

Bah,
Was going to go down to Viola, but buddy called and said he had a friend with lots of ducks on a lease in Kingman. We went to Kingman. Didn't see a mallard all day...but lot's of divers. Bluebills I think they are? Tough little birds. We had a tough time getting them to land in our spread. The few we managed to get within range fell, and I mean fell hard, they went upside down and SPLASH! into the water. Then they would dive. When they popped their head back up we would pepper them and they would dive again. Tough little suckers. This happened three times, I feel bad about wounding 3 ducks but we hit 'em hard. Has anyone else had this experience with these birds? Was shooting 3' high velocity size 2 shot. So anyway, went back to the Viola pond just for the heck of it (by now it was 1 pm) and there were hundreds of 'em. We were too tired to get the waders or decoys out, and none came within range, so we just packed up and went home...kind of a disapointing ending to my first season. How was everyone elses last day?
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Church was great...LOL.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby big_countryks » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:24 am

Doh!
Atleast you got your priorities straight :oops:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Last day for me...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:29 am

Tough seeing a season come to a close. I was out of town for the weekend, so my last day was last Thursday. Hoping we'd have relatively few others around, we opted for public hunting. WRONG. Ended up with a handful of Gadwall and 'Bills, not much between 4 guys, two boats, and 18 dozen decoys - and one psycho lab on loan from the East Coast - a swimming freak... But it was really cool to hunt over a spread like that after scrambled eggs, deer sausage, and much tobasco in the boat. Might make an annual thing out of creating the largest spread we can at the end if the season. (and then have people get as close to us as possible and take advantage of our "draw-power" and skybust our geese - but hey, the lead-pepper didn't get in my eggs!) God Love 'em...
Got a few pics online, for fun. The last eight are of this hunt...

http://www.diinteractive.com/ducks
This is a goofy "photo-journal" that accompanies my handwritten waterfowl journal, so don't hold all the gay sunsets and 500 pics of the same duck blind against me. I take them all for a reason.

I'd also be happy to post pics like this for some of you Kansas fellas, if you need a place to share. If you have some really good ones, We could post them up at Ken H's site that I (my company) built. Killed some ducks and geese over his calls this year...
http://www.harredcalls.com

Any big plans to finish with some honkers this weekend?
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:06 am

My last day consisted of get one squirrel saw a few ducks but mostly little ones, all out of rang to. But I did see one squirrel that I could get a shot at. Wish season wasn't over already sad to see in come to an end.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:21 pm

What kind of camera do you use? Those are some GREAT pictures, very sharp. Also what's up with the bus? Did the A-team build that for you? :toofunny:
Seriously, glad to know I wasn't the only one who had an anti-climactic season ending.
big_countryks
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:49 am

Sorry 'bout the late response, Big_C;
I use a commercial camera, it's a digital Ricoh i700, not necessarily made for this stuff, but it takes nice pics. I'm a graphic/artist dude, so I do a little touch up on some of my pics tp get 'em looking nice...

Cool thing on the bus - that property sits in a flood plain, and by law no "structure" - meaning building of any kind - can legally be built on that land. SO the "A-Team" bus is, in effect, the lodge. Pretty cool stuff. Although some of those pics of the blinds there are really much more cozy than that bus!

Anyone Whack any Honkers?! Kinda made up for the sorry duck close with a decent weekend chasing the big boys. Anyone else finish up strong on the geese? Anyone still chasing Snows?
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:36 pm

I am after the snows. Only got to hunt last night and today. GOt 4. Migrating bigtime, but wind would've really helped. Puddlejumper, I'll shoot you a PM with my cell #. Maybe we can get together and do some fishing a La Cygne or something. Living down on the Marais des Cygnes NWR it gets kinda boring.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Definately, KS_... I may be down at LaCygne this week doing some fishing.

Snows had me up last night - heard them all night long. Love to get after them, just to fill that Feb/March gap, but not very well equipped for the white ones. Gimme a shout via PM...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting