time for the die hards

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

time for the die hards

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Well it appears its time for the cold weather die hards, river or reservoir hunting. lots of coffee, thermax, hand warmers,etc. Is it worth it? Hell yeh
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: time for the die hards

Postby Crc392 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm new to the forum and look forward to hearing about cold weather successes! Heading out myself this weekend. Good luck!
Crc392
Newb

Postby T Man » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 am

cluckmeister wrote:Well it appears its time for the cold weather die hards, river or reservoir hunting. lots of coffee, thermax, hand warmers,etc. Is it worth it? Hell yeh

Damn right. You can keep the bluebird days, I like the overcast days with blowing snow
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 am

T Man wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Well it appears its time for the cold weather die hards, river or reservoir hunting. lots of coffee, thermax, hand warmers,etc. Is it worth it? Hell yeh

Damn right. You can keep the bluebird days, I like the overcast days with blowing snow

I don't know about that. I sure enjoyed shooting limits of greenheads in short sleeves. I'll take a sunny day with a strong south wind any day, as long as there's birds around. I hate not being able to use my layout boat but I do love a good dry field mallard hunt. I'm gonna be a fair weather hunter this weekend and go look at Christmas lights with the wife and kiddo. Of course a phone call with word of a hot field could mean a change of plans and an angry wife.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 am

cyoung24 wrote:
T Man wrote:

I don't know about that. I sure enjoyed shooting limits of greenheads in short sleeves. I'll take a sunny day with a strong south wind any day, as long as there's birds around. I hate not being able to use my layout boat but I do love a good dry field mallard hunt. I'm gonna be a fair weather hunter this weekend and go look at Christmas lights with the wife and kiddo. Of course a phone call with word of a hot field could mean a change of plans and an angry wife.

I have a really hard time picking out birds in the air on bluebird days so I like overcast days when I can see them from a distance. On days when there are flurries it seems like the birds bomb into my spread with reckless abandon.

WWDDD. What would Duck Dynasty Do?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TheMiz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:44 am

Yup this morning was awesome. Had a group that had be 300+ of fresh migrators come right in. Birds landing in decoys while I was picking up today (2 feet away from my boat). I love this weather...except for limited mobility due to frozen waders, decoy bags freezing to bottom of boat....
TheMiz
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm

The idea that blue bird days are far superior to cloudy days is over exaggerated.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm

T Man wrote:
cyoung24 wrote:
T Man wrote:

I have a really hard time picking out birds in the air on bluebird days so I like overcast days when I can see them from a distance. On days when there are flurries it seems like the birds bomb into my spread with reckless abandon.

WWDDD. What would Duck Dynasty Do?

I'm the opposite. I think they are easier to see on sunny days but I said a south wind therefore the sun is always at your back. With the sun at your back you can id birds at a long distance. If it's a north wind then give me clouds because the sun is always in your face. Don't get me wrong days like we're experiencing now make for great hunting but I sure enjoy those days when the weather's nice and the birds work regardlessly.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Only thing that kept me off the water today was the prospect that every Elmer Fudd with an ought-six would be out skulking around where I like to hunt. Since I shy away from wearing fluorescent orange headgear when I'm duck hunting, I decided to sleep in.
Had a terrific hunt on Thursday, though! :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Left the house yesterday at 8 am and it was 15 degrees. Hunted the lake from 9 until 1 and then quit cause I was getting cold. Not many ducks flying...I saw a total of 4 mallards. The good news is all 4 came into the spread and a got two greenheads. I know there are still lots of ducks around because I saw a duck tornado going into a cornfield on the way home.
radfordc
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting