Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oh the Ringnecks!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WhackinanStackin 
#1 ·
We hunted ahead of the front yesterday and good lord, I have never seen so many ringnecks. Normally a group of 3 or 4 will buzz a spread like Teal, but there were more than I had ever seen. We saw thousands of birds and I would say more than 60% were ringnecks. Anyone else seeing all these birds? We normally pass on them because they are such a bear to clean, but they definitely saved our hunt yesterday.

#2 ·
We had a few early in the season. I'm with you - normally I don't shoot them because cleaning them is such a pain. The best way I've found is to pluck the breast feathers and just filet them through the skin, then leave the skin on or try and slice it off cleanly. Anyone else have any cleaning tips for ringnecks?

#4 ·
After you pluck the breast make a small cut in the loose skin at the base of the neck. Slide your thumbs under the skin and loosen the skin as much as you can. Then slit the skin down the middle of the breast and carefully cut the skin away from the meat with a sharp filleting knife. Once you get down about halfway on the breast the skin comes off much easier. I use this method on Goldeneyes and they are just as bad as Blackjacks to skin.

#6 ·
Saw nothing but ringnecks and gaddies at an area pond this morning before work. Had to be a quick hunt so I could make it to work by 9. Had my six by 7:35, 5 gaddies, one ringneck. Cleaned the gaddies (reluctantly), but left the ringneck for the cats. Would have preferred mallards, but still a pretty damn good way to start the workday.

#7 ·
Lest anyone would think I am promoting wasting downed birds, I should have added that I left the ringneck for the cats only after I butchered the damn thing trying to get the skin off to breast it. Never had much success cleaning 'em. And this one had skin that seemed to be glued on.

#8 ·
Earlier this season, a hunt on a sandpit we had a 4 man limit and of the 24, 17 were ringnecks and the other 7 were redheads..... such a fun day of cleaning that was! But usually I leave the blackjacks and dont shoot them but when that is all that is decoying... I couldnt resist. 15 yards, flocks of 20 ofem, fun to shoot not to clean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.