Silicone spray on decoy bags

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Silicone spray on decoy bags

Postby TheMiz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:49 am

Anyone tried using the aerosol silicon spray that's for water proofing shoe's and stuff on decoy bags to help keep them from absorbing water and freezing so bad/fast (or some other product)? Right now I usually leave the bags in the water next to the boat, but today ice built up on them bad and they were unusable.
TheMiz
hunter

Re: Silicone spray on decoy bags

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm

I usually leave the bags IN the boat......they stay a little dryer that way. :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

They either freeze to boat really bad or I end up having to hold them underwater until they thaw anyways, that's why I leave them in the water.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Have you tried using slotted bags rather that the mesh, or texas rigging them?
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Slotted bags would work...but I've been running 8 doz floaters and 2 layout blinds every time out and I only have a 1448 jon boat. I've been looking into a way to Texas rig and transport that many decoys on my boat, maybe some type of poles with hooks?

I've gone to just putting all the decoys directly in the boat between the middle bench and the bow. This seems to save the hassle of frozen decoy bags...but I've been having to re-bag them and bring them inside at night to get the Ice thawed out on them as they build up ice pretty quick in these temps and we haven't really broken above freezing since last Tuesday....would be nice to have a heated garage.
TheMiz
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting