Timing

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Timing

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Hunted an undisclosed location today. Saw thousands and thousands of birds but they were heading south for warmer pastures. I was on a river, but very few birds gave us any looks.

My question is, what time of the day do most of you do well on any river? Is it more of a late morning - mid afternoon type of affair? We weren't having any luck tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Re: Timing

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Duckaholic-Anonymous wrote:My question is, what time of the day do most of you do well on any river? Is it more of a late morning - mid afternoon type of affair? We weren't having any luck tonight.

Every time I think I have the birds patterned they rarely fail to prove me wrong. It has almost become a game between us and I assure you the ducks are winning . But looking back on my most memorable river hunts there did appear to be a reoccurring time frame . We have had our best luck in the mid mornings . My conclusion is we were encountering birds returning from the feed fields looking for a spot to get a drink and loaf during the day. A few more single digit nights and river hunting will get into full swing . Good luck.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:53 pm

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Like you, I saw thousands of birds today as well. They weren't heading South though. They were fresh migrators coming exactly where I was at. My problem was I couldn't bust a big enough hole out to get there attention. Found a spot with open water though, will be there the next couple days.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 pm

John O`Neal wrote: Every time I think I have the birds patterned they rarely fail to prove me wrong. It has almost become a game between us and I assure you the ducks are winning ...

^ Same here.
If I don't have my limit on the river by about 9 o'clock in the morning, I'm not going to... at all.
But, that's MY area.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 pm

I never set up on the river with out scouting. Were the birds want to be at, on the river first. We do have good luck setting up on a field that we seen birds fly bye the area, we can uselessly kill some. We been seeing big numbers of birds in a group, but there steel not very many here yet. I never seen it so slow, with so much water, and food we have. Very strange year so fare
cONG
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting