Need your help

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Need your help

Postby quackattacknoob » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm new to the waterfowl hunting and try and hunt more geese then sucks. Is it me or have they not migrated in the numbers like they did last year? I don't have many ponds to hunt plus they are now frozen. It seems like I get in a files they have been using and can't even get a look from them.
quackattacknoob
hunter

Re: Need your help

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 am

First, I'm seeing tens of thousands of geese every day around my house. Many of these are roosting on city lakes, but they are here.

Second, your post was difficult to read because of spelling errors. Suggest you use spellcheck in the future.
Good luck......it usually takes years of hunting to become proficient. Hang in there.
mudpack
hunter

Postby deadeyehawkins » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 pm

We had been killing them on a regular daily basis all the way into Feb, think our last hunt was the 3rd and two of us killed 10 birds. You have got to put your time in and scout and watch which fields they are using we were hunting corn fields as well as a local pond that took a chainsaw and would open the ice and make a big hole put out floaters and full bodies on the ice worked great shot many limits doing that.
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:17 pm

quackattacknoob wrote:I'm new to the waterfowl hunting and try and hunt more geese then sucks. Is it me or have they not migrated in the numbers like they did last year? I don't have many ponds to hunt plus they are now frozen. It seems like I get in a files they have been using and can't even get a look from them.

We have definitely seen more birds,in our area,this past season than ever before, but that could be just a regional thing. Your problems running traffic are common to all of us . We have all, at one time or another, encountered the cold shoulder treatment from the big birds. One method I use to help in figuring out whats going on, is to place a dozen of the best decoys I have under their flight path . I use almost all feeders and spread them way out in an attempt to emulate a relaxed feeding group . I get well back away from the decoys and watch the reaction of the passing flights . Watch the oncoming flights through your field glasses while they are still at a distance . Geese have incredible vision and you will quickly be able to pick up on the changes in their flight characteristics . If geese now start showing an interest or actually decoying into your spread your problem has probably been one of hunter concealment. The birds have most likely been picking you out well in advance, of their arrival, over you. I can`t impress enough the importance of the hide, it can certainly make the difference in a good or bad day . Keep in mind though sometimes the issue can be as simple as a bad location in which case a trailer load of decoys wouldn`t serve your purpose .Frustration is the constant companion of waterfowl hunters everywhere so you are not alone in that aspect . Hang in there, you will learn quickly and the rewards are more than worth the effort expended. Have a great day .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby quackattacknoob » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.
quackattacknoob
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting