Scary hunts or encounters while hunting?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Scary hunts or encounters while hunting?

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:10 am

Figured it would be interesting to hear some scary stories. I'll start with mine back in January 2011. Me and 3 buddies went out on Milford Lake for some late season mallards. At this time, the lake was absolutely full of mallard ducks. We had initially planned to go into the Thunderbird area but noticed it had frozen up. It was open the day prior. Plan B only yielded 2 birds. So while 2 buddies stood on the bank and waited for more birds, me and another buddy went driving around in the boat looking for more birds. We found a cove that was absolutely loaded with mallards. Maybe 10,000 or so? We spooked them up accidentally and the sky was black! It was incredible.

We went home and got ready for the next day, planning to hunt the cove that we saw loaded up. This cove was on the west end of the lake and the forecast called for 20 mph winds out of the south. I have been an avid bass fisherman for the last 12+ years and have used a bass boat 100+ days a year since then and have alot of experience on big water, etc. I know Milford lake like the back of my hand and had planned to put in near the dam and run the south bank across the lake to the cove that was loaded up. Getting there worked like a charm.

The wind switched directions and was coming out of the east at approximately 30 mph with 40 mph gusts. Our decoys couldn't hold in the cove and kept getting blown in the bank. We decided to leave and go back to the ramp. Knowing that none of didn't have anything going on that day, I figured we would take our time getting back to the ramp. No need to beat up dad's boat on the waves by going too fast. His boat was a 2004 War Eagle 1860 (18') with a 90 HP Mercury 4 Stroke. For those that don't know, this is a pretty bad *** duck boat. We started out of the cove, on pad and started beating ourselves up and broke the headlight mount on the front of the boat. I figured that I would come off pad and just idle across. The bow was in the air and we were doing fine. The over heat alarm started to go off so I tried to get on pad again to get the impeller pushing more water thinking it would make the alarm go off. The engine went into guardian mode and the boat felt sluggish.

I came to a stop and shut the engine off not wanting to hurt it. Tried to get it started but it wouldn't turn over. I looked back and noticed that the big open space in the transom area was full of water. This area is about 18" deep and was full. I looked down at my feet and the floor had standing water over my wader boots. I started to panic and before I knew it, I was in knee deep water inside the boat and every wave was crashing over into the boat. I called everyone I knew with a boat and didn't make contact with anyone. Called my wife and told her that I loved her and told her where we were. I knew we were going to die of hypothermia. I've been a Police Officer for over 9 years now, served on the SWAT team and been in some pretty scary stuff at work but always had a way out. This day on the boat was the most helpless feeling I've ever experienced. I felt like we were all going to die and there was nothing I could do and it was all my fault. Our boat was bobbing in the middle of Milford Lake in January, half the lake iced up, and a mile from any shore.

I called 911 and lifestar had just taken off headed towards us, I was later told. I tried one last time to get the engine started and she fired right up. We drove in into the closest bank going with the wind. We were on the bank for about 5 hours before getting help. The boat ended up with $3,000 of damage, but we were safe, which was all that mattered. I still have pics of the boat that I will add sometime today. Still gives me chills thinking about that January day...Lesson learned, never trust the weather forecast!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Re: Scary hunts or encounters while hunting?

Postby radfordc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 pm

I had a bad incident many years ago at Lake Perry. My buddy and I were hunting the marsh north of Paradise Point that was accessible from the Sunset Ridge boat ramp at the time. The marsh is fairly big and shallow and we were hunting the south shore because the wind was out of the south. The wind was forecast to be 15 mph, but it blew up a gale at 30+ mph and blew all our decoys across the marsh to the north shore. I had a 12' V hull with a 3hp motor…we made the run across the marsh to get the dekes OK, but coming back into the wind to the boat ramp became an ordeal. I kept the bow into the wind and stayed as close to the shore as possible. My buddy was in the front seat facing the rear and didn't see what I saw…a huge green wave coming over the bow of the boat. The boat was instantly full of water to the top of the seats. I made a beeline for the shore about 30 yards away and grounded the boat. We were able to bail the boat dry and make it to the ramp without further trouble but it made an impression on me for sure. If the little motor had quit we would have been in big trouble.
radfordc
hunter

Postby champer196 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Had a Sasquatch follow me from the time I entered the timber to the time I loaded my gun to get ready to hunt the pond. Shot him in his big, fat a**. He took off like a scalded cat. Thought for sure I would die that morning but turned the tables on that ****.
champer196
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 am

My scariest moment comes not from actually hunting, but from returning home from a hunt. It was later in the season of 2008. I had shot an evening limit on a public marsh and was on a 2 lane highway heading home. Being young and dumb, I was ignorant to the fact that the recently fallen sleet was already sticking to the ground. Instead of being cautious and getting a feel for it, I was driving entirely to fast even though I was going the speed limit. I was completely unaware of how dangerous the roads actually were.

As I was driving, my back end whipped out from behind me and I lost all control. At 55 mph, I was staring directly into the headlights of a Dodge Ram. There was nothing he could do and there was nothing I could do. When I say my life flashed before my eyes, I am not kidding. Everything happened in real slow motion. I even had time to brace for what I thought was going to be impact. By some miracle, my car missed any part of the Dodge Ram, continued through the oncoming lane, ran through a ditch, and stopped against a barbwire fence. I must have sat in that ditch for 45 minutes trying to process what had just happened. It was a mixture of all sorts of emotions. The thought of how easily that could have gone another way is something that still bothers me to this day. I don't think I would be typing this.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby champer196 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:34 pm

I was joking about the Sasquatch deal. Or was I?

Anyway on to a more serious and true story. I was hunting out of my boat and had just set out my decoys and was not to terrible far off the bank, maybe 20 yards or so. It was a nice 26 degree day with a North wind blowing pushing ducks in ahead of the front. I was going to step out of the boat and pull it close to shore to get the blind set up. Well, the water was a bit deeper than I expected in that area where the boat ended up at. I stepped over with one foot and by then it was too late, I was comitted to going over.

I went over backwards and straight to the bottom. My chest waders filled with water and my heavy clothes soaked it up like a sponge. When I went in I was head down on the bottom in water just above my head. When I tried to right myself my feet would want to go to the top and my head back down. No way I was going to be able to pull myself back into the boat so I thought "I have to get to shore". Each time I got my head above water I would gasp for air and back down I would go. This seemed like an eternity but in reality it was all over in a matter of minutes.

I said to my self as I was trying to get air and each time and I was sucked back under "so this is how it all ends, this is what God has planned for my death". After that thought, I seemed to gain a little composure and started to dog paddle. I dog paddled to shore and got out of the water and walked about a mile back to my truck leaving everything there. When I got to shore an entire new set of problems arose. I was so out of breath that my chest was pounding and I was still gasping for air. My thoughts then turned to heart attack. A shock to the heart in cold water and feeling like I had sprinted a marathon it was about as scary as being in the water.

But, I'm here to tell the story. One and only time I have ever been wet while waterfowling in all my years. One I do not care to repeat.
champer196
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Well, I almost porked the pooch this morning.

I was motoring down the Kansas river by myself going to a spot that I had seen some geese earlier in the week. I was almost there when I found the river blocked with ice. The ice jam was only a 100 yards or so wide and the ice looked rotten. I bulled through and almost made it...I ended up with the boat sitting on solid ice about 30 yards from the open water. I knew that there was only one way off the ice...get out and push the boat back the way I had come. The ice was really solid where I was stuck, but it wasn't that way everywhere. I got out and made sure that I had a good hold on the boat and tried to keep most of my weight on the boat. Sure enough I was able to shift the boat back off the ice but it was slow and hard. Suddenly, the ice I was standing on gave way and I found myself hanging off the side of the boat in deep water. I won't say that I thought I was going to die, but I damn sure knew I was in trouble. I tried to pull myself up into the boat but I'm too old and fat and out of shape. I saw that the stern of the boat was still on solid ice so I pulled myself toward the ice and was able to get my weight onto the ice and climb back in the boat. Once I was back inside I just sat there for a long time letting the adrenaline level come back down to normal before I started the engine and made it back out to open water.
radfordc
hunter

Postby CBRS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:09 pm

radfordc,
Wow, glad to hear your safe and sound.
CBRS
hunter

Postby champer196 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 pm

The river is nothing to mess around with by yourself this time of year. Or anytime of year really. Glad your ok! That had to be a pucker moment.
champer196
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting