What a difference a day makes .

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

What a difference a day makes .

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Thursday morning the 19th came in almost balmy for this time of year, but we weren`t to worried though, after-all the guys had shot 17 mallards and three geese in the same spot we were headed just the day before . Well as fortune would have it we were not destined to enjoy that same level of success by any means . We ended up watching as flock after flock of ducks passed overhead without showing even the slightest interest . Call, don`t call, it seemed to make no difference, the reaction of the ducks was consistent . We didn`t exist to them . Around 10 a.m. two of our hunting party bugged out, they had endured enough of the cold shoulder treatment given us by the ducks .. My buddy Mike and I stuck it out till around 11 and threw in the towel . The ducks had won the day resoundingly. The next morning at 9:27 my phone sounded off notifying me of a text message . It turns out a couple of our buddy`s and a friend had just finished out their limit of ducks . The weather had taken a change overnight and our buddy`s had become the beneficiaries of that change . It turns out they had set-up for a goose hunt . The geese had stayed on the roost and didnt fly but the ducks were hungry . WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES !

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Re: What a difference a day makes .

Postby river rats » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:28 pm

We had an awesome hunt yesterday shooting greenheads at the lake..... went back today and didn't even fire at a duck. Did manage to shoot a few geese though. It was crazy the difference between yesterday and today.
river rats
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Good stuff! 3 of us went out today and whacked a 3 man limit of geese. Pretty awesome shoot. Most came in singles, pairs and 3's. All shot inside of 30 yards pretty much feet down! :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:59 am

That's why we keep going out, even after a day or a week of no birds; you never know when the next day will be a barrel-burner.

Good work, you guys who are finding birds. I wish I were with you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:43 am

I sure hope there are still ducks around. Tried a lake Saturday that had been holding thousands. We saw about 15 total.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:40 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:I sure hope there are still ducks around. Tried a lake Saturday that had been holding thousands. We saw about 15 total.

Ecat ; Rest assured they are still around . At least in our area . I scouted yesterday and saw several thousand ducks and geese on the refuge roost and a variety of other critters in the field. One huge snow covered cut bean field had some unusual white humps way out in the middle of it . I had to get out the binoculars to see that they were swans .I counted eleven . The river was running clear without ice and I watched numerous groups of geese returning from the field drop down on to it .The picture shows about 10% of the birds that were on this roost area. Based on what I observed yesterday I`m convinced we still have plenty of birds. It does appear we will either have to hunt in the field or on the river . It`s just that time of year . MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone !!!

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby quackattacknoob » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:55 pm

The geese in my area have disappeared? Have they gone further south? Did they just go to bigger bodies of water? The ponds I saw hundreds of geese on have maybe 30 or 40. Will they come back or will more move in?
quackattacknoob
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm

From what i'm seeing they are still around.

We did okay today. Two guys. 5 mallards 4 geese
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:26 pm

From what I had seen scouting I was convinced we still had birds . My hunting buddy`s confirmed my beliefs this morning . All four limited out . Lots of birds flying today.

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Duckdog17 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Well that's encouraging! I did some scouting today and saw a grand total of 5 ducks!
Lots and lots of Canadas though.
Duckdog17
Newb

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting