Duck Hunter Drowns

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Duck Hunter Drowns

Postby 007 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:46 pm

hunter

Re: Duck Hunter Drowns

Postby dukhntr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Very sad indeed. I am very familiar with this incident and will post all the info as soon as the name is released. very bad deal here fellas. Prayers sent.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:33 am

Sorry to hear that..prayers to his family. No duck is worth the life of a dog or a person.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 am

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/ka ... z2obagQcOo

Authorities have identified a hunter who drowned this week at an icy lake in northeast Kansas.

The Geary County Sheriff's Department said 31-year-old Thomas Hedrick of Fort Riley died Tuesday while duck hunting at Milford Lake.
radfordc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:30 am

Does anyone know if this fellow was a member of the board?
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby reconcoupe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Well I can tell you this, and trying not to spread any rumor or gossip but there is a lesson to be learned from this. I talked today with one of the first responders. The home made watercraft we keep hearing about in the news was a 55 gallon drum cut in half with sealed PVC pipe secured somehow on both sides, no motor, and no paddles. Just remember, especially to the younger waterfowlers and all hunters in general. bad weather is no place to test some hair brained idea for a cheap boat or any other contraption, be it a blind or deer stand or whatever else you think you can make. I was out on the same side of the lake that morning hunting, probably about 4-5 miles north, and I can tell you the swells were up to 3 feet possibly more. I was passing up shots on ducks because I didn't even want to chance taking my 16 footer out after a duck.

I feel horrible for him, his family and friends. I wasn't in his unit, but when every one returns from leave there will be a unit memorial service and once there is a time and date set you can bet I'll be there standing tall in dress uniform. I don't know if this information will be reported by a news source but I have no reason to doubt the person I talked to. We can all learn from this. Both my years hunting in KS so far I've taken new hunters from my unit out and always try to instill the point of safe hunting. I can tell you hunters ed does not do enough, my wife took the course last year.

Go out, properly equipped, with safe, tested equipment, and make sound decisions.

TLDR; I'm a unit safety NCO, lost two friends in the Army due to accidents and this could have easily been avoided had someone taught this guy safe hunting and boating.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 pm

This is what I know about the incident. Some of you know I am a Police Officer in Junction City. I know all the game wardens around here as well as the Geary County Deputies. I was on the river when this man called 911. I had an accident a few years ago and several people from the PD called to check on me because I am on vacation. As soon as I heard about it, I picked up and went out to where he was on the ice. He had fallen in about 10 minutes prior to me getting there.

All that said, the man used a large piece of Styrofoam to try and get a dead bird. He got blown against the ice. Something happened to the Styrofoam and he was able to crawl onto the ice. It was about 14 degrees out and he got wet. He was not wearing a life jacket. He told the dispatcher that he was cold and started to turn numb. The ice eventually broke and he slid in.

All the ramps were iced up. I will no go into details about anything else right now except I think that there needs to be some type of rescue plan in place. The victim made a bad choice, but we all do at some point and he payed the ultimate price and I can't stop thinking about him and his family even though I never met him. It totally breaks my heart. When I swamped my boat back in 2011, the lake was open and a game warden boat was not available. :mad: In my opinion, the corp of engineers or whoever needs to make some ramps or flat spots on the mail lake where a boat can be put in in case of en emergency. Emergencies happen every year on this lake. Wouldn't have to be concrete, just something flattened out to get a water craft on in an emergency such as this. All the coves freeze up first and all the ramps on this lake are in coves for the most part except up in Wakefield. Again, my prayers, thoughts and condolences go out to this man's family and friends. I can tell you I thought about him and his family the whole time my kids opened their presents. God bless him and his family!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby reconcoupe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Dukhntr, thanks for clearing that up for me. It was a state trooper I was talking to btw, maybe he wasn't there early enough to get all the right info himself.

Your right about the ramps though. Wakefield usually freezes before the coves even from what I've seen. I was able to put in and take out from a camp ground area around School Creek that def isn't improved or big enough for any kinda of rescue boat.

Dukhntr, seeing as how you were involved to some extent let me know if you'd like the info on the unit memorial service when I get it.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby champer196 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:23 pm

I know some years back the KDWP purchased an airboat for running the Kansas river and also for rescue/recovery situations. Milford does seem to have its fair share of drownings. Putting some sort of plan in place for lakes around the more major metropolitan areas and lakes that get more than average useage seems like it would be justified.

Perhaps if they had people who lived in the area with boats capable of being launched on an unimproved ramp or no ramp at all with some sort of agreement would be practical? Sounds like even a small jon boat would have been adequate to rescue this person.

Have they started the search for him yet? Last thing I read is they were waiting for the ice to clear so they could use the side imaging units. Why wait for that?

Prayers go out to his family.
champer196
hunter

Postby CBRS » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:34 am

He should be recovered today if all goes well.
CBRS
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

reconcoupe wrote:Dukhntr, thanks for clearing that up for me. It was a state trooper I was talking to btw, maybe he wasn't there early enough to get all the right info himself.

Your right about the ramps though. Wakefield usually freezes before the coves even from what I've seen. I was able to put in and take out from a camp ground area around School Creek that def isn't improved or big enough for any kinda of rescue boat.

Dukhntr, seeing as how you were involved to some extent let me know if you'd like the info on the unit memorial service when I get it.

Pm sent to ya.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:15 pm

CBRS wrote:He should be recovered today if all goes well.

I just got off the phone with one of the guys out there and they have been out since this morning. Still searching. I've confident they will get him soon. I sure pray to God they do. I'll keep you guys updated. Just found out that his children were 6 and 7 years old. Still Praying!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:21 pm

No recovery today. Bad winds/weather expected tomorrow. Hopefully they locate him soon and lay him to rest.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby CBRS » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:57 pm

They only had two divers available and the sonar boat had some issues......unfortunate set of circumstances.
CBRS
hunter

Postby CBRS » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:00 pm

The makeshift boat was a 55 gallon drum cut in two.....sad deal.
CBRS
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Good news just now felas. Stay tuned....
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:11 pm

champer196
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Yes Jack! I'm so thankful they located him. He was using a 55 gallon drum as the boat. I've got pictures of it. I'll post them later on if I can....Sad deal, but at least he is with his family and will be laid to rest. The guys I talked to said he looked real good. Seems the water preserved him.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:09 am

Sad deal. Was happy to hear they found him. Like you said, now there will be closure for family and friends.
champer196
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am

Please post a picture if possible,
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:31 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and fellow soldiers. I recently hunted Milford and had the chance to hunt with some guys from Fort Riley. They were a great group of guys am I sure he was no different. I and the rest of my hunting group are deeply saddened by your loss but hopefully his mistake can be a lesson to all of us. Again my thoughts and prayers to his family.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting