Looking for hunting

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Looking for hunting

Postby bdroescher » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:28 pm

Me and a friend recently got into water fowling and are looking for some guys to go hunt with. We have a hunting background just not a whole lot of waterfowl.

Thanks
bdroescher
hunter

Re: Looking for hunting

Postby reconcoupe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:42 am

Location, age, current equipment, wing shooting experience. All helpful things to know before someone offers to take you to their blind. OH and do you own any land with water and ducks on it? :beer:
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby bdroescher » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 am

we are both college students. we live up in johnson county and go to school in pittsburg. he is a real good shot with his 870. and im a decent shot with my browning gold. neither of us have alot of max-4 or duckblind camo since we are mainly deer and pheasant hunters. I can call if have to but still need some practice.

Also we know of some public places that we haven't had any other hunters come to.
bdroescher
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Well I'm a bit to far away, Fort Riley, and our seasons over tomorrow, less the week in January. I'm sure there is a lonely grumpy ol Johnson Co duck hunter out there than can help you out. I honestly prefer a 2 man hunt myself, unless my wife goes, then I can tolerate 3. Duck hunting its self isn't hard to figure out. The art is acquired over years though. If you can't find anyone else, just consider keeping it at you two. Ask and search online here and hit up youtube for a lot of good tips. Good luck and keep up duck hunting.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 pm

It's gonna be tough to get started right now, It's frozen solid. You said you don't have any "duck camo" do you have waders?
cyoung24
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 am

reconcoupe wrote:Location, age, current equipment, wing shooting experience. All helpful things to know before someone offers to take you to their blind. OH and do you own any land with water and ducks on it?

Good way to make helpful contacts is to become active in local conservation groups, i.e. Ducks Unlimited. You'll get to know lots of experienced hunters who can determine if they can help you. Best of luck!!

What waterfowling equipment do you have at the present time? How willing/able are you to buy the necessary equipment in the future?
mudpack
hunter

Postby bdroescher » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 pm

i have waders. some calls that im no good at yet. no decoys or dog. and shoot a browning gold fusion
bdroescher
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:21 pm

bdroescher wrote:i have waders. some calls that im no good at yet. no decoys or dog. and shoot a browning gold fusion

Don't worry about the dog. I have dogs, but as the saying goes, that dog don't hunt. But I'm still young.

Pick up some cheap decoys this February or so on Craigslist when the seasons over and guys are clearing out their stock.

Consider a Kayak or Canoe to start. That will give you access to larger bodies of water of water once the small stuff starts freezing over. Its a small investment and great during the summer for fishing.

Don't worry about getting everything all at once. One of the calls I STILL use is a DU membership call from 1996. Till last year I used a 1960 models Ithaca Model 37. Duck hunting has available the most gear of any sport, but believe me, you don't need most of it starting out. By the time your good enough to need it, you'll be in the position to get it.

Back to what I was getting at earlier. Enjoy the two man hunt, less bickering over who shot who's duck, and who gets the band.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:15 am

reconcoupe wrote:Don't worry about getting everything all at once.

That's good advice. You can kill a duck with no more than a shotgun and a box of shells. All the other stuff just makes getting your birds easier (a LOT easier).
TIP: unless you are very, very good on a call, decoys will help a bunch more than a call will. By that I mean you'll have more opportunities at shooting the wily duck with decoys and no calls than you will with calling and no decoys. Decoys should be at the top of your must-have list. You'll also need outerwear in something other than fluorescent orange. :wink:

Me and a friend recently got into water fowling and are looking for some guys to go hunt with.

Did someone introduce you to waterfowling? Or did you watch DD and decide "that's what I want to be"? I ask because most of us "get into waterfowling" when someone we know takes us for the first several times. Is there someone like that in your life? If there is, be a good guest if you want them to keep mentoring you. Pay for gas, pay for lunch after, help tote gear, help set out and ...more importantly....pick up decoys, offer to help clean birds, pick up empties and trash after the hunt. In other words, be willing to do more than your share of the grunt work. That's the best way I know of to be invited on hunts. You want to make your host think "man, I like having this guy around!" :yes:

Lastly, we are iced up here and the birds have gone for this year...but, PM me before the 2014 season and, if you're willing to travel about four hours to Barton County, I'll take you out.
mudpack
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 am

mudpack wrote:
reconcoupe wrote:Don't worry about getting everything all at once.

That's good advice. You can kill a duck with no more than a shotgun and a box of shells. All the other stuff just makes getting your birds easier (a LOT easier).
TIP: unless you are very, very good on a call, decoys will help a bunch more than a call will. By that I mean you'll have more opportunities at shooting the wily duck with decoys and no calls than you will with calling and no decoys. Decoys should be at the top of your must-have list. You'll also need outerwear in something other than fluorescent orange. :wink:

Me and a friend recently got into water fowling and are looking for some guys to go hunt with.

Did someone introduce you to waterfowling? Or did you watch DD and decide "that's what I want to be"? I ask because most of us "get into waterfowling" when someone we know takes us for the first several times. Is there someone like that in your life? If there is, be a good guest if you want them to keep mentoring you. Pay for gas, pay for lunch after, help tote gear, help set out and ...more importantly....pick up decoys, offer to help clean birds, pick up empties and trash after the hunt. In other words, be willing to do more than your share of the grunt work. That's the best way I know of to be invited on hunts. You want to make your host think "man, I like having this guy around!" :yes:

Lastly, we are iced up here and the birds have gone for this year...but, PM me before the 2014 season and, if you're willing to travel about four hours to Barton County, I'll take you out.

I got myself into duck hunting because there aren't any ditch parrots to hunt in this God forsaken corner of the state.

To the OP.

What do you bring to the table? I live down in the area. Right now, there isn't much going on except for geese in the fields. I dont have extra layout blinds for you to borrow, but maybe we can do some fishing this spring/summer. I dont like taking new people out hunting without getting to know them first.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm

T Man wrote: I dont like taking new people out hunting without getting to know them first.

That is good policy.

I can remember taking two different guys out, years ago, without knowing how they handle themselves or their guns.
One guy pretty much ruined a good duck hunt with his ineptitude and the other came so close to shooting me by accident that I still get the chills thinking about it 15 years later.
Now, I try to invite someone out sporting clays or 5-stand shooting before I take them into a duck blind.
mudpack
hunter

Postby RyanLane » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 am

You don't happen to drive a newer maroon Dodge Pickup or ride with a buddy that does?
RyanLane
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:24 pm

RyanLane wrote:You don't happen to drive a newer maroon Dodge Pickup or ride with a buddy that does?

Nope. I screen my friends to make sure they aren't Dodge owners. :lol::lol:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby RyanLane » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:33 pm

I meant the original poster of this thread. Sorry about the confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanLane
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting