Buying for next season...

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Buying for next season...

Postby big_countryks » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:10 pm

This was my first season duck hunting. Needless to say I plan on doing it a whole hell of a lot more. I already have 6 gadwall, 12 mallards and 6 carrylite goose floaters. My question is: Is this a big enough spread? If not, what do you suggest I add to it...more mallards or something different? What kind of spread do you guys hunt over and what kind of ducks can I expect to see around south/central kansas?
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:39 am

right, good talk guys. :toofunny:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 pm

Swap the gadwall for wood ducks and that is the basic spread I do most of my hunting with. If your on bigger water later in the year with bigger groups of birds you will want more but that’s a great start as far as I am concerned.

I don't know about your area but I have hunted in SD with the same basic rig and shot plenty of ducks in small water areas even when there were hundreds of birds in the area.

Get out and have fun and add as you have the extra $ but I wouldn’t worry about it. I believe that fewer is often better and if you can add some decent calling, put motion in the decoys you have, and get good and hid you will shoot birds better than it you just throw out a big bunch of decoys IMO.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Spreadin' it...

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:26 am

Big_C -
I own more decoys than I will ever be able to deploy in one setting. So I have several bags that I keep organized. My "Best" bag consists of about 18-24 mallards, with 6 of those being super-mags, and another dozen pintail drakes I like to use. In this "primary" bag, I can fit about a dozen teal, a half dozen widgeon, or a few goose floaters, based on situation/time of year/etc. This is what I carry the most, and will sometimes pull it down to a couple dozen or less later in the season.

My secondary bag has another 3-4 dzn mallards., and then a third similar bag. I keep a half dozen woodies, a dozen teal, a half dzn widgeon, and a handful of divers handy that I'll sneak into a bag to add some color if I'm feeling groovy.

And now I'll tell you that none of that matters. Yeah, multitudes and masses of blocks are cool, and on the right days, sheer numbers, along with the right conditions are certain to bring in ducks; however it comes down to what thaner said - the most important factors, in addition to the "art" of being in the right place at the right time, of course (aka - scouting) is good calling, good cover, motion... all of those things are as - if not more - important than numbers. In fact, just with decoys, the realism - a fresh coat of paint - can help, especially late in the season. Give me a half dozen big realistic mags with a fresh coat of paint over a dozen or two of K-Mart's finest Flambeau specials any day.

But the bottom line will still be - the right place at the right time! As soon as we think we know what these critters are going to - or "supposed" to do, they do something else!!!!

WE are the ones that think this stuff matters!
Good luck, and have fun with it.
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:52 am

Thanks... :salude:
big_countryks
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:10 am

I agree with KS_PJ. We usually hunt over about 7 dozen decoys at one time. Our decoys are mainly Mallards. G&H mallards with swivel heads give those ducks a different look when everyone else has those worthless Avery decoys. Hotbuys are the best $20 a dozen decoys on the market period. After that stay away from Avery for all other products. Take my word as well as several others. I have teal and will add some Gadwall and widgeon to the spread next year. I like to be different. If you are in the right spot I have seen ducks decoy to hedge apples so scouting is the key. I killed in the neighborhood of 138 ducks and scouting is the key to that success. I hunted the same hole for about 2 weeks straight and it was fast and furious. I knew the ducks would be there. I don't call much so I don't believe good calling is necessary. If you are where they want to be they will come.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting