Post vortex goose chase

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Post vortex goose chase

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Well the polar Vortex has had us firmly in it`s grips for several days but the weatherman was predicting relief would come with temps rising to the high teens and low twenty's for Wed. and Thurs . I was anxious to get back out in the field for a little goose action . With rising temps Tuesday night I figured the birds would be on the move early Wednesday morning and I planned to be there waiting for them . We scouted late Tuesday afternoon and found birds in both fields that I have permission on . I stuck around glassing them till dark as group after group dropped into the very center of a huge snow covered cut bean field . Snow covers on the layouts would provide the concealment that would be needed to hunt in the center of the field . When we pulled in the next morning it was easy to see where the birds had been . The white covering of snow was scarred from their feeding, and goose crap abounded. Even though we figured we were on the X we went ahead and emptied out the trailer.We may have been able to get by with less decoys but we wanted to make sure we had put forth our best effort to pull in some birds . As we put the finishing touches on our spread we could see a few birds working into the area . Wednesday morning it turns out was one of those days we look forward to all year . One of those days responsible for this addiction to water-fowling we all seem to share . I had no more than pulled closed the doors on my layout when a single cupped up and started his decent into the spread . He glided in on my end and when he dropped his feet he gave me a 20 yard shot even I can make most of the time . It came like that till we had shot out. Singles doubles an occasional triple . The big groups hadn`t even appeared yet and it was already over . Even though we were disappointed our hunt was over so quickly we rationalized that we had educated a minimum number of birds and that is always a good thing . We packed up quickly in order to turn the field back over to the birds and as we closed the gate we could already see birds landing in the spot we had just hunted . We headed to another field just down the road to scout for the next days hunt . That hunt turned out to be an amazing experience and I will post it up soon.
Last edited by John O`Neal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Re: Post vortex goose chase

Postby reconcoupe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm

If this was facebook you'd get the Like :thumbsup:
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 am

Nice shooting John.
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Excellent! I've all but given up on this season. Its been horrendous for me.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Thank the Lord for geese. Nice job, John.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Congrats on the good hunt, did a 3 county drive around this morning and Id say we are at peak numbers, there were geese everywhere. Get out and get them boys.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting