Split

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Split

Postby MinneKans » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm

How are things looking for the second split?
MinneKans
hunter

Re: Split

Postby cONG » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:16 pm

what kind of thing are you taking about?
cONG
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Many birds in the state? Everything froze up? Just general stuff because a buddy of mine is headed to Oklahoma for their spilt and was wondering if anything is still north of Oklahoma.

Good luck to all getting out for the second split.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

There are still lots of birds around at least here in the Eastern part of the state. While goose hunting yesterday we saw huge numbers of Mallards flying out to feed . Granted there may not be many using the shallow frozen public marshes but they are still around staging on the rivers and large impoundment`s . Last week just before the sub-zero temps left us I scouted a three mile stretch of river that was literally covered with Mallards . The river was running a lot of ice and between every piece of ice was a shiny green head floating downstream . At some point on further down they would get up and fly back upstream to start their floating journey all over again . The river being at it`s winter low point has created sand bars on both sides and these were covered with ducks for as far as I could see .The "Polar Vortex " had created a waterfowl phenomena concentrating an incredible number of ducks on a small stretch of river . It was definitely an anomaly as I have never seen that many Mallards in one place in my lifetime . By last Sunday the majority of those birds had dispersed into the surrounding area with the warming temps . I am confident those last eight days of duck season will be the best so far . Good luck and good hunting .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the update John. Must have been quite a sight to see.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm

John, I saw the same thing on the Missouri river some years back. I was flying over the river and watched 1000's of birds for quite a while. The ducks were landing on ice floes and floating downstream and also on the sand bars. After floating downstream for a mile or so the ducks would fly back upstream and do it all over again.
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Opening morning of the last split in the Late Zone; very good. We found an area that had a constant stream of birds coming in the first two hours. Even as we picked up and headed out, they were dropping in behind us. Flocks of up to 50+ mallards working almost constantly....even if they didn't all drop into the decoys.
Also lots of GW teal (which, by the way, had crops full of corn), plus wigeon, pintails, and ringnecks. Three of us ended up with 14 mallards and four GW's. A very good day...after six weeks of solid ice and no birds. I have high hopes for this coming week.
I hope the rest of you all have conditions as good.
mudpack
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I have put a poor effort into duck hunting the last two years, but the plan finally came together today. Went out by myself and killed five mallards in two hours. Had enough birds flying all day that I was able to be picky and choose the greenies. Awesome when it comes together. Haven't had that good feeling in a while.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:44 pm

radfordc wrote:John, I saw the same thing on the Missouri river some years back. I was flying over the river and watched 1000's of birds for quite a while. The ducks were landing on ice floes and floating downstream and also on the sand bars. After floating downstream for a mile or so the ducks would fly back upstream and do it all over again.

It turns out I wasn`t the only one observing the amazing concentration of birds on that stretch of the river . The guy that I share hunting access on the adjoining property text me he saw three different groups in boats " mow down ducks and geese all day long " . My grandsons had basketball games Saturday so I missed out on all the fun . The duck hunting fun that is . I`ll give it a shot this week if the guys in the boats left any.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Had great hunts all weekend long. I was by myself Saturday and Sunday and for the most part enjoyed being by myself and able to make the call on when to shoot, call, etc. There is something peaceful about being on your own in the marsh. Had to improvise Sunday as some guys were already in my spot, but I made it work.

Went out yesterday with a good friend and didn't shoot a limit, but saw tons of birds, which was reassuring. Really looking forward to next weekend and the end of the season. It seems like my best hunts always happen after this split.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I must be the only one not seeing tons of birds! I've been hunting the spots on the river where I've always seen lots of late season ducks and they just aren't there this year. I scratched out two mallards yesterday in a half day of hunting.
radfordc
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 am

Chalie you are not alone, this is the worst season I have ever had. I believe Jarbo will agree. I usually put close to 100 geese on the ground every season I am sitting at 55 personally. Probably just as many ducks. Duck season started off to a bang but then we froze up in Nov and it has been crap since. We have been hunting the same birds since. We did pick up a little reverse migration but I have a feeling that all changed this morning. Headed out to see here in a little bit.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 am

quackattack1991 wrote: I was by myself Saturday and Sunday and for the most part enjoyed being by myself and able to make the call on when to shoot, call, etc. There is something peaceful about being on your own in the marsh.

Amen. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

I just did a count and I've hunted 30 days so far and killed 70 ducks. Nov was the best month with 35 ducks in 12 hunts. Dec was great for the first half with 18 ducks in 9 hunts. In Jan, I've killed 10 ducks in 6 hunts.
radfordc
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Im at 25 hunts and 65 birds / 4 of which were Geese

September 4 hunts = 4 birds 1.0
October 6 hunts = 19 birds 3.16
November 7 hunts = 19 birds 2.7
December 5 hunts = 18 birds 3.6
January 3 hunts = 5 birds 1.6
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I quit counting the birds killed long ago, when you get older its not the number that counts, its the number of hunts you get to go on, the comradery with guys you've hunted with for 40 years, the drinking of coffee from an old thermos thats been painted a couple of times. Its the sight of mile long skeins of blackbirds waking a marsh with the red of the sun etc. And as for the last hunt of the split, its time for us older guys that have a little of Phil Robertson in us, to Thank the Lord for the time hes given us afield, for the birds hes allowed us to harvest, the memories that were made and a hope that we will all be here on Mother Earth for the opener of next season.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:20 pm

cluckmeister wrote:I quit counting the birds killed long ago, when you get older its not the number that counts, its the number of hunts you get to go on, the comradery with guys you've hunted with for 40 years, the drinking of coffee from an old thermos thats been painted a couple of times. Its the sight of mile long skeins of blackbirds waking a marsh with the red of the sun etc. And as for the last hunt of the split, its time for us older guys that have a little of Phil Robertson in us, to Thank the Lord for the time hes given us afield, for the birds hes allowed us to harvest, the memories that were made and a hope that we will all be here on Mother Earth for the opener of next season.

With all do respect...i think one can enjoy keeping a detailed hunting log and still appreciate all of the things you mentioned. I don't hunt for the kill count. But looking back over the years and being able to see shooting %, # of each individual species taken, birds per hunt average and many other statistics is extremely enjoyable.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:I quit counting the birds killed long ago, when you get older its not the number that counts, its the number of hunts you get to go on, the comradery with guys you've hunted with for 40 years, the drinking of coffee from an old thermos thats been painted a couple of times. Its the sight of mile long skeins of blackbirds waking a marsh with the red of the sun etc. And as for the last hunt of the split, its time for us older guys that have a little of Phil Robertson in us, to Thank the Lord for the time hes given us afield, for the birds hes allowed us to harvest, the memories that were made and a hope that we will all be here on Mother Earth for the opener of next season.

With all do respect...i think one can enjoy keeping a detailed hunting log and still appreciate all of the things you mentioned. I don't hunt for the kill count. But looking back over the years and being able to see shooting %, # of each individual species taken, birds per hunt average and many other statistics is extremely enjoyable.

Ecat I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just quit doing it. I highly advise keeping a log especially the data that you mention. Its just as you get older you tend to not keep the log like you did when you where young, youre going to go hunting but the desire to put out 6 doz dekes by yourself, keeping logs etc just isn't there any longer. Its not being lazy , its called getting old. My best hunting buddy and I were chatting about this tonight while eating some hot wings at BWW. He mentioned the log book he used to keep and said he hadn't entered anything in it in 5 years, I asked him why , His answer was , guess I just don't have that on fiery passion I had when I was young,

BTW, you'll know when you lose that fiery passion, you will actually be able to get a bit of sleep the night before opening day instead lf just lying in bed watching that darn slow moving alarm clock. LOL
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby 007 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I've enjoyed this year tremendously, and like ecat, keep stats.

Last year, I finished the year with 42 ducks in 15 hunts for a 2.8 avg.
This year, more water = better success/more hunts.
Two hunts ago I was at 100 ducks/25 hunts for a 4.0 ducks per hunt avg.
Then I went out and shot 1 duck. So, my 4.0 has vanished (kinda like high school), and I'm at 101/26 = 3.88/hunt.

All birds consumed by myself/family except 1 package in freezer.

It's not all about the stats, but it is a nice way to track your ups/downs from year to year.
Of course, this is the first year with a 6 bird teal season, so that kind of helped pad things a little.

Good hunting,
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Speaking of a stat busting last hunt. Last year I had gone the entire season without a single lost bird. Came down to the last hunt and we were river hunting. Real slow day and along comes a common merg. I find these birds pretty nasty so I virtually never shot at them. Not sure what I was thinking but it came right in and I took a shot and wounded the bird. It came up, and quickly swam down stream, dove, and was never seen again. My hopes for not loosing a single bird all season vanished on a bad decision my last hunt of the year! :mad:

Congrats on a great year 007!! That bird / hunt average is a great one!
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby 007 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks Ecat. Make it 101/27, haha. Skunked today. Getting tough out there.
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Today was my last hunt of the year and I was content with it. Shot 3 greenheads with subpar circumstances. I had no idea where I wanted to go this morning and when I arrived at the spot I chose, it had 3 inch thick ice. I used a sledge hammer for 30 minutes to bust a hole the size of my couch. It wasn't pretty but it was enough to coax a few in. I didn't take one shot that I would say was ideal, but I made do. Could have had a limit if I would have shot a tad better or had a bigger hole. Birds just couldn't get in there.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Ive got a spot located for tomorrow morning that is holding a few mallards. Hopefully I can add a few to the total on my last hunt.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:42 pm

OK, I'm done. Went to the river this morning and had exactly two ducks fly by. The good news is I don't have to clean my gun again. Came home and packed up all the hunting gear until Sep.
radfordc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Couldn't find anyone to go with me this morning, so I went by myself. There was a open spot on the pond about 30 yards wide and 40 yards long. I set out just a doz decoys on the pond and then put out 7 full body Canada decoys about 40 yards out on the wheat field. I probably saw a thousand ducks a mile to the west of me during the morning and not one duck came my way, But I did shoot 5 Canadas. So, all wasn't lost.
Last edited by cluckmeister on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting