Split

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Re: Split

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm

radfordc wrote:OK, I'm done. Went to the river this morning and had exactly two ducks fly by. The good news is I don't have to clean my gun again. Came home and packed up all the hunting gear until Sep.

You don't hunt geese?
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:09 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
radfordc wrote:OK, I'm done. Went to the river this morning and had exactly two ducks fly by. The good news is I don't have to clean my gun again. Came home and packed up all the hunting gear until Sep.

You don't hunt geese?

Will they decoy to mallard dekes?
radfordc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:08 pm

radfordc wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

You don't hunt geese?

Will they decoy to mallard dekes?

I did have a single set right into the Mallard dekes last year, so it can be done, but don't gamble the farm on it. I would suggest do a bit of scouting the local places you hunt and then try a bit of pass shooting. Theres geese every where right now
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:48 pm

I had 3 Canadas come right into my mallard spread a couple of weeks ago. Whiffed 3 shots at 25 yards :mad:

I would be very happy to accept any invitation to go goose hunting during the next couple of months.
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:10 am

A strange season, without a doubt, for me. It started with ideal conditions and many limit mornings (not a single evening hunt this year!). Then, after a stellar hunt, in freezing sleet, on Dec 4, it stopped. Froze up. Solid. No birds, no hunting until the Late Zone Second Opener on Jan 18. That's four weeks of the season torn out of the calendar. The hunting during the Last Split was either very, very good or pretty tough. Can't complain, though, for the opportunities the weather gave us during that final nine days.

2011 was my record year: 56 hunt days and 235 downed birds.
This season: 42 hunt days and 229 downed birds.

The birds/day ratio this year was more than 1 bird/day over 2011, which tells me the hunting was good when the birds were here (Also, having a six teal limit in the Early Teal Season, over 2011's 4-bird limit, certainly helped that number)

Now, it's time to start cleaning the hunting gear up and putting it away until next September. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Went out by myself this A.M. My buddy had been forced to cancel out at the last minute. I had scouted Friday afternoon and saw several large groups of Mallards feeding in some corn fields I have access to. As bad timing would dictate though, the ducks didn`t fly Sunday morning. I was able to scratch out a few Canada geese while waiting on the ducks . I scouted the roost on my way home and there sat all the ducks I had hoped to ambush . The warming temps. had evidently changed the feeding pattern . They had fooled me again .Just as I had started to pick up decoys a strange truck drove into the field . It turned out to be the game warden. It was the first time I had been checked in several years . I`ve had both good and bad experiences with game wardens but this guy was a real gentleman . Gave me his card and said he had seen me hunting there several times this season and would love to join me for a field hunt sometime. For me it has been a memorable season ,one of my best . There`s still a couple weeks left of the Canada season to enjoy before the countdown begins again and I plan to make the most of. Have a great day .

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:14 pm

John your last day sounds like mine did only I got 2 more geese
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting