Strange

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Strange

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:53 pm

What do you do if you show up to your spot, little pond on public, and someone has gear out but no one is to be seen. It's been 3 hours and no sign of anyone. Do you hunt or go home?
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Re: Strange

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:09 pm

FowlPwrcat wrote:What do you do if you show up to your spot, little pond on public, and someone has gear out but no one is to be seen. It's been 3 hours and no sign of anyone. Do you hunt or go home?

What do you mean out, decoys set or decoys in bag by the pond. If theyre set and youre hunting afternoon, Id say they took a lunch break from morning hunting but stupid for not leaving one person there to guard the stuff.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Decoys set. Only other option is go home.
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:49 pm

If there were bags around I would have packed the decoys up for them and set them off to the side. Upon their return I would inform them where they were and help assist them if needed. They could take it one of two ways: be grateful you were so generous or act entitled and upset. Unfortunately, I feel like most people would act like the following.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby click » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm

If nobody is there and it is public, the spot it yours. I would pickup their decoys and set them to the side and hunt it. I have been on both ends of this before. If someone is there when i get back i'll pack my crap and tell them good luck.
There is no reason to be rude in marsh, well most of time anyway. I do treat other peoples gear the same as i would like mine to be treated though :hammer: .
Public ground is just that public, and as such just because somebody leaves their gear out doesn't mean the spot is there's. On a side note when i'm hunting now days i dont' take a lunch. Once the decoys are out we are there till they are picked up.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm

I would of picked up the decoys and set my dekes and hunted. If the guy that owned them showed up I would of informed him that if would read the Kansas hunting regulations, he would learn that leaving the decoys unattended over night is illegal. And if he said he hadn't left them overnight that he had hunted the morning and intended to hunt the afternoon and evening, I would have replied that I didn't know the intent of the person leaving them and figured whomever it was, left them with the intent to hunt the next morning. if he had a issue with that a call to the local game warden would be arranged.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 am

I ended up setting up. They showed up 4 hours later and we worked it out. I had to stand up and wave because I saw them drop to the ground and get ready to swat my spread haha! Real nice guys, a little green to waterfowling. I was a little uneasy when I saw them toting a bucket of beers in to their blind. And they DID leave the dekes out last night to hunt this morning. I kept my mouth shut because A they were a real nice group. B All of them were old enough to be my dad. And C I left with ducks in the bag and they did not.

Was just strange
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby 007 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Wow. Maybe if they don't bring the bucket of beers they get the DT's/shakes so bad that gun safety becomes an issue. Haha.

Cluck is right - it's in the regs. You can move their decoys aside and hunt the spot.

hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 pm

FowlPwrcat wrote:I ended up setting up. They showed up 4 hours later and we worked it out. I had to stand up and wave because I saw them drop to the ground and get ready to swat my spread haha! Real nice guys, a little green to waterfowling. I was a little uneasy when I saw them toting a bucket of beers in to their blind. And they DID leave the dekes out last night to hunt this morning. I kept my mouth shut because A they were a real nice group. B All of them were old enough to be my dad. And C I left with ducks in the bag and they did not.

Was just strange

Too bad those beers didn't give them the squirts so bad they had to leave, alcohol and guns don't mix
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm

In my younger (and dumber) days I was hunting a great public spot in the evening and decided to leave the dekes out overnight and hunt there again the next morning. Of course there was another party there the next morning ahead of me and the situation got a little ugly. I realized that I was the idiot in this case and vowed to never repeat that mistake.
radfordc
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting