Thank you kansas and the Gentlemen of the marsh

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Thank you kansas and the Gentlemen of the marsh

Postby rivercountry » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:42 am

Well I know a lot of folks don’t care for oosers but, I had the pleasure of hunting your great state back in December. I have to say there are some great folks out your way. I spent the better part of a year planning the trip for the group guys that I hunt with. So about this time last year I began reading up on the regulations, looking at Google Earth and buying maps to figure out the best way to approach things once we got there. So after collecting a filing cabinet full literature that covered the wife’s kitchen table for most of the year ( yep that went over really well) it was time to hit the road for a 17 hour drive. I just hoped that I had everything in order and hadn’t forgotten anything. We planned to drive straight through with only one planned stop in Illinois to visit and have dinner with an old friend. After dinner we were off on our way again and arrived at our destination about 4:00 am. We decided since we couldn’t get into our house till later on in the morning we would try a blind hunt. When we got to where we were going to hunt there were a couple of guys already there. We had no intentions on messing up their morning so I ask them which direction they were headed and explained that we were from out of state and literally just drove in and wanted to get in a short hunt before we started scouting. I told them that we just wanted to make sure that we didn’t get in their way and we would go the opposite direction to stay out of their way. One of the guys spoke up and said why don’t yall just come on and hunt with us and when we get done we will take yall and get some breakfast. I told them that we hated to crowd them since there were 4 of us. He just said come on we would loved to have you guys so off we went and ended up having a great time. When we finished hunting they took us to a little café to eat lunch that had the biggest cheeseburger I have ever saw in my life. After lunch one of the fellows told me to come on lets take a ride I want to show you guys a few places and then yall can take off on your own. So for a hour or so I sat in the copilots seat and of this fellows truck with him showing me the way around the lake and marshes and where some of the the public entrances were. Later that day we split off from them and went on our way and continued our scouting. The first couple days were tough hunting but we manage to kill birds every day. About mid week a big front pushed in and brought fresh birds with it and we had a really great hunt for the rest of the week. We ended up hunting a different area from what they had showed us but, I really appreciated it all the same. They were two really stand up guys as were most of the other folks we had the pleasure of meeting while we were there. We tried to leave the spots that we hunted as good or better than we found it and always carried out as many of our spent hulls that we could find and any trash whether it was ours or not. We had an awesome time and I hope to make it back out there again sometime in the next few years hunt again. So here’s a big thank you to all of the great folks who treated us so well while we were there and more especially the two gentlemen we met on the edge of that cold marsh our first morning. Your hospitality meant more than most will ever know. Happy hunting and I wish you all a great 2014 waterfowl season.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Re: Thank you kansas and the Gentlemen of the marsh

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:06 am

I`m glad you had a great time on your visit to Kansas and thank you for all the kind words regarding the residents of our state . Visit us again soon.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:39 am

Glad you had a good experience, and come back again next year.

For all the anti-OOS venom we spew on the forums, once those OOS'ers get here, we generally are pretty cordial to them. One guy from Arkansas last season broke his mudmotor while out on the Bottoms. I had him bring it to my house and replaced some gears in it. He was able to salvage his hunting trip.
Another guy (can't remember where he was from) had a trailer wheel bearing take a dump on the way here so, again, I had him bring it to my place where I was able to replace it for him. I think most Kansans do the same thing when someone needs assistance.

While we try to keep the OOS'er away from our state, once they're here we might as well help them all we can.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 am

Mudpack is very truthful here, while we bark like rabid dogs on here we are usually pretty friendly if the same courtesy is showed like you did. Sounds like you all had fun and enjoyed your stay.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 pm

duckdozer wrote:Mudpack is very truthful here, while we bark like rabid dogs on here we are usually pretty friendly if the same courtesy is showed like you did. Sounds like you all had fun and enjoyed your stay.

Yes we had a blast and I look very forward to coming back in the next few years. I have been other places and shot higher bird numbers relative to the days we spent hunting, but it is not all about the killing to us. We love to travel and meet new folks, make friends, and see different parts of the country. Killing large bird numbers comes in second to being in the outdoors with great friends and meeting good people. I made a good friend from Missouri this year who hunts. We never really even spoke much about hunting during our conversations but I did a favor for him. Nothing super special just handle something that he had been having trouble with that really only took me an hour to fix. I really thought no more about it after it was all said and done but, a few days later the phone rings and it’s the gentleman that I had help out. Now we talk pretty regular, truly one of the nicest men that I have had the pleasure of meeting. If he hasn’t heard from me in a couple of weeks he will call just to see how things are going and to check on the family. That’s what our yearly trips are about and killing ducks are just an added bonus.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:53 am

Your welcome.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby nitram » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 am

I guess ya'll never discussed Roy Williams, did ya? :beer:
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:59 am

Most of the folks who hunt in KS support K State and don't give a crap about old news like that.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby rivercountry » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 am

nitram wrote:I guess ya'll never discussed Roy Williams, did ya? :beer:

Nope but, I don’t like him or the Tarheels. :biggrin: I got a warm fuzzy feeling when they got that whoopin in the tournament!!!
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:05 am

TomKat wrote:Most of the folks who hunt in KS support K State and don't give a crap about old news like that.

Couldn't be more wrong.

To the OP, glad you had a great trip and met some good dudes. KS is full of good people, come back any time. :thumbsup:
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am

Jarbo03 wrote:
TomKat wrote:Most of the folks who hunt in KS support K State and don't give a crap about old news like that.

Couldn't be more wrong.

To the OP, glad you had a great trip and met some good dudes. KS is full of good people, come back any time. :thumbsup:

Sure I could. I could say that most hunters in KS are Missouri Tiger fans. See how more wrong that is?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm

rivercountry wrote: That’s what our yearly trips are about and killing ducks are just an added bonus.

Good on ya', mate.

Me? My duck hunting trips are all about killing ducks. :yes:

That's why I don't take duck hunting trips in July.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting