Type of spread for ducks

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Type of spread for ducks

Postby wraithen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Im stationed at Fort Riley and just realized something foolish. I have a dozen mallard drake decoys (they were all seaduck foams and I got a sweet price, I only bought one kit so I never made any hens) I also have a pair of mallard butt ups and a couple coot. This made a great small spread for where I was in Washington but it may be idiotic here so I also bought a 6 pc pacific flyway set. What species decoys are successful here? I may stick to what I got since my spread never made any sense but did much better than most of the others I saw while hunting. This is only my second season. Im a late bloomer. I plan on hunting some potholes mostly since ive heard they never hild many ducks.

As a secondary question, how do you get your duck if youre pass shooting a river and dont have a dog or boat?
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Re: Type of spread for ducks

Postby duckdozer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:10 am

2nd question first, dont pass shoot the river without a dog or boat that is how you get your duck. Use some common sense.

1st question answer, what do you see in the marshes that you are expectng t hunt. Go check them out now this will likely be what is going to be around come hunting season. Iimagine that in your area you will see mallards, pintail, gadwall wigeon, teal and shovelers. Those are the main birds that hit our fly way. Just remember that most people run mallard spreads, make yourself look different.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Re: Type of spread for ducks

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:56 pm

What 'dozer said. All of it.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting