wheres El Nino

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

wheres El Nino

Postby cluckmeister » Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm

So far it hasn't showed its face in Kansas, BUT the weather forecasters say its building big which Hopefully means all of the Kansas duck holes will gets lots of water between now and fall, Just in case it falls flat you might brush up on your rain dance skills
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: wheres El Nino

Postby radfordc » Wed May 07, 2014 9:15 pm

We definitely can use some rain...but hopefully not like the summer of '93. The water was 15 feet deep in the marshes that year.
radfordc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 am

Looking good so far....................... :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 am

I was looking at historical El-nino data and rain effects from El-nino's typically don't hit until late fall.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:I was looking at historical El-nino data and rain effects from El-nino's typically don't hit until late fall.

I believe that's right, but, Ill take it anytime we can get it. The long range forecast I found says its going to be wetter than normal thru November. Lets hops so!
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 pm

3 inches of rain this week with more to come. I hope its started.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 pm

My rain tracker says the bottoms has gotten 5.3 inches this month. :clapping:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 pm

I just checked the ICT radar loop and the storm/rain total for the last 12 hours looks to be about 4 inches in the Great Bend area Mudd can you share your info on this
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:30 pm

Here's the site I use for rain information. You can pin specific locations and get daily rain amount updates via email.

http://farmprogress.com/weather
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:Here's the site I use for rain information. You can pin specific locations and get daily rain amount updates via email.

http://farmprogress.com/weather

Thanks for the info
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

My info says the bottoms has received 7.1 inches of rain in the month of June.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Huntindoc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm

The 7 inches in June sounds about right. But let's not forget the last weekend of may it rained pretty hard also. I pray we get more rain before teal season because the bottoms needs it but we are also very lucky with what we have so far. Remember 3 years ago? That was awful.
Huntindoc
Newb

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 pm

keep up the rain dancing fellows we can use that much again in July August and September
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:26 am

Vegetation doesn't grow when it's drowned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 am

*most vegetation*

Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:06 am

Duckaholic-Anonymous wrote:*most vegetation*

Ive never seen a wetland drown. Wetland plants have evolved from terrestrial (dry land) ancestors, and have evolved adaptations that let them live with their roots (or sometimes the entire plant) in water or water-soaked soil

Plants rooted in water with pondweeds leaves sticking out are cattails, water lilies floating on surface arrowheads, water pickerel, duck corn duckweeds to name a few
Last edited by cluckmeister on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:32 am

Duckaholic-Anonymous wrote:Vegetation doesn't grow when it's drowned...

This may be true, but I prefer water with no vegetation over dry land with vegetation 100 times out of 100.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 am

We've been getting good rain here, but except for that 5" night several weeks ago, it's all been in small amounts every couple of days. While this is great for the corn/beans....since it allows the rainwater to soak in rather than run off....it is not so good for the Bottoms or the river (which has no flow at the GB bridge and no water whatsoever at the Radium bridge just west of town). To provide the necessary water for the Bottoms, we need heavy downpour so the rain is mostly runoff into the low areas....not a slow, soaking rain pattern.
From what I see, if we continue to get this "soaking" pattern, we'll be okay; it should maintain enough water in the Bottoms to provide for the birds. But, if the rain stops now, the summer's heat/wind will evaporate the Bottoms quickly....and thken we'd need another heavy downpour (like last year) to put enough water in the Bottoms to be useful.

It's too far from duck season to be comfortable; we could easily still be nothing but mudflats by Sept/Oct. But, I'm ever optimistic, and I think we'll be okay. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping so. I've got a big waterfowler's garage sale scheduled for August 16 at the Great Bend Visitor Center, and a dry Cheyenne Bottoms will hurt enthusiasm. :sad:
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank you for your input Mud. So do you believe that with historical average rainfall amounts during the next 3 - 4 months there will be enough water in the bottoms for the upcoming season? Or do you think we still need above average rainfall amounts during the coming months?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:21 am

Here's how I look at it, Ecat':

Sorta' complicated, that question. :huh: If we get "normal" amounts of rainfall, then it will pretty much depend on how we get the normal amounts. If we get the normal amount (inches of precip) for the year all in one two-day period, the Bottoms will be like last year: more than enough water.
If we get the normal amount in half inch showers every 2-3 days, it won't increase the amount of water in the Bottoms by Sept/Oct, but it might maintain what is there now. And what is there now is just adequate for decent conditions. IN MY OPINION!

Then, much depends on what happens between rainfalls. Dry, 30mph, mid-nineties temp wind can evaporate the Bottoms an inch a day. Even a week of that and we've lost 6-7" of water in all pools. That could be critical....and we have lots of weeks between now and Teal Season, even more til regular Duck Season.

If the rain stops now, we're in trouble.....but I don't think it will. :bow:

I'm keeping the prayers going up that we have adequate water in CB and in Quivira for this season. I ask that those of you who have a direct line to The Man do the same.
mudpack
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks for the response Mud, I read an article yesterday that many are now predicting the coming El-Nino to be a 90% probability. And is now considered severe.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Mudd thanks for the info

My trout fishing trip is over so now it can rain, so come on El Nino
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby radfordc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
Ive never seen a wetland drown.

It sure happened to some of the marshes in Perry WMA in 1993. Water in Kyle marsh was 15 feet deep and when the water went down the silt was 2 feet deep.
radfordc
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:17 pm

radfordc wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:
Ive never seen a wetland drown.

It sure happened to some of the marshes in Perry WMA in 1993. Water in Kyle marsh was 15 feet deep and when the water went down the silt was 2 feet deep.

Much of Perry Wildlife Area lies within the Perry Reservoir flood pool, thus flooding is not uncommon. The Delaware River bisects the area from north to south with several small creeks feeding it. Id say that the marsh itself -vegetation- didn't drown but the marsh was filled with silt from flood water and the silt is what may have probably killed the vegetation. Im curious has that silt settled so the area can be hunted?
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 pm

I don't know the technical definition of "drowning a marsh" But at Jamestown if they get too much rain late Summer or Fall the vegetation is gone for the until the next year. If you hunted there this past year you know what i'm talking about. Pools with all open water except the extreme edges.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting