wheres El Nino

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Re: wheres El Nino

Postby ksgoosekillr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:28 am

mudpack wrote:We've been getting good rain here, but except for that 5" night several weeks ago, it's all been in small amounts every couple of days. While this is great for the corn/beans....since it allows the rainwater to soak in rather than run off....it is not so good for the Bottoms or the river (which has no flow at the GB bridge and no water whatsoever at the Radium bridge just west of town). To provide the necessary water for the Bottoms, we need heavy downpour so the rain is mostly runoff into the low areas....not a slow, soaking rain pattern.
From what I see, if we continue to get this "soaking" pattern, we'll be okay; it should maintain enough water in the Bottoms to provide for the birds. But, if the rain stops now, the summer's heat/wind will evaporate the Bottoms quickly....and thken we'd need another heavy downpour (like last year) to put enough water in the Bottoms to be useful.

It's too far from duck season to be comfortable; we could easily still be nothing but mudflats by Sept/Oct. But, I'm ever optimistic, and I think we'll be okay. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping so. I've got a big waterfowler's garage sale scheduled for August 16 at the Great Bend Visitor Center, and a dry Cheyenne Bottoms will hurt enthusiasm. :sad:

all depends on how it is managed too, that 5" of rain almost filled pool five 30+ inches. They have diverted almost half of that to the refuge. they are continuing to take water from 3-4-5 and put in the refuge pools. you are right though both the ark and walnut are dry, we need some better rain falls to get the inflow going.

how is their trenching efforts going? opening up the inflow canal?
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 am

EcatMagoo wrote:I don't know the technical definition of "drowning a marsh" But at Jamestown if they get too much rain late Summer or Fall the vegetation is gone for the until the next year. If you hunted there this past year you know what i'm talking about. Pools with all open water except the extreme edges.

Is the vegetation volunteer or planted by the Dept. If the vegetation isn't normal marsh type but weeds, Id say they grew up because of the drought we've had over the last 2 or 3 years. and the pools actually should be open and free of weed like vegetation. If the dept planted Japanese millet and water got over the top Id say it would drown and kill it. I hunt a pool at McPherson that normally has open water but do to the drought, weeds and such have over taken it, but with the water they had last year it was a pool of watery weeds and actually about 2/3 of it was not huntable because of all those volunteer weeds sitting in the water..
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:35 pm

According to Farmprogress.com the bottoms has received 11.6 inches of rain in June. :clapping:
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:46 pm

looks like the whole state has had a wet June. anyone else have good water reports for the month?
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Eastern Kansas 6+ inches in June
North Central 9+ inches in June
West/Central 11+ inches in June
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Lets hope the rains continue. Rains mean ducks
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 am

wow looks like the bottoms may have received another 2 inches this morning

Mudd are you building an ark yet
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 pm

It has now rained 13.7 inches in the bottoms area in the month of June. To put this rain into perspective.

Average annual rain fail = just over 26.0 inches.

Average for June = 4.0 inches.

This June it has rained 1/2 the full year average in 1 month and 3x's the average for the month of June. Can we say the drought is over now?
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:52 am

Just wondering is there such a thing as too much of a good thing too early? How will all of this rain in June effect the plant life in the marshes around the state?
Also have noticed SOME of the corn is WAY ahead of where it usually is this time of year. In the past the early corn was harvested late august/early Sept and most of the waste went to sprout.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:05 am

wtrfwlr43 wrote:Just wondering is there such a thing as too much of a good thing too early? How will all of this rain in June effect the plant life in the marshes around the state?
Also have noticed SOME of the corn is WAY ahead of where it usually is this time of year. In the past the early corn was harvested late august/early Sept and most of the waste went to sprout.

A friend and I drove to the area we hunted last year and the water looked to be a about a foot deeper than it was last fall. Last fall the area was hard to hunt because of to many volunteer weeds growing in it because of the previous drought and It made setting decoys very difficult with very few open areas for the ducks to land in. With the water it now has, hopefully those volunteer weeds drown and even if the water drops a bit will offer open water to set dekes in. This could be the story in a lot more areas than the one we hunt.

As for the corn, as far as maturity its all over the place, Ive seen it grown and with tassels and Ive seen a lot that's around thigh high. The main thing is, with the abundance of water the corn looks great and the cobs will form really good. The harvesting in some fields will be a might early but I doubt it. I know of one field by our dove hunting honey hole that I do hope is cut about the last week on August, it makes for great dove hunting.
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:38 pm

wtrfwlr43 wrote:Just wondering is there such a thing as too much of a good thing too early? How will all of this rain in June effect the plant life in the marshes around the state?

I must have road the short bus to work cause I cant for the life of me figure out where on farmprogress you guys are getting this info
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26 pm

ksgoosekillr wrote:

I must have road the short bus to work cause I cant for the life of me figure out where on farmprogress you guys are getting this info

http://farmprogress.com/virtualraingauge.aspx

It isn't the most user friendly site. But once you create an account you can place "pins" on a kansas map and get daily emails to the precipitation of those exact spots. So for example I placed a pin directly in the middle of the bottoms complex and each day I get an email which gives me precip information for the day/week/month....etc.

I was just looking at the site and I found a graph that shows weekly evaporation amounts as well. Such a great site! Evaporation is really picking up. From 6/14-6/21 there was 1.4 inches water evaporation.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 pm

EcatMagoo wrote:
ksgoosekillr wrote:

http://farmprogress.com/virtualraingauge.aspx

It isn't the most user friendly site. But once you create an account you can place "pins" on a kansas map and get daily emails to the precipitation of those exact spots. So for example I placed a pin directly in the middle of the bottoms complex and each day I get an email which gives me precip information for the day/week/month....etc.

I was just looking at the site and I found a graph that shows weekly evaporation amounts as well. Such a great site! Evaporation is really picking up. From 6/14-6/21 there was 1.4 inches water evaporation.

That's a great site LOL lets me log in but then I cant select any actions
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Did you create an account? The tabs on the right hand side would be information for your selected "pins" actually the site calls them "farms" If you have not created an account and pinned a farm or two then the side tabs wouldn't work.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm

I cannot believe I ever figured out how to use that site in the first place. What a mess.

Here's what I just did to get it to work.

1. Create an account at farmgprogress.com
2. in the top right on the page search field search for "virtual rain gauge"
3. Click on Virtual Rain Gauge - Farm Progress link
4. Enter your email address in the registration tab (there is also a log in field on this page but it didn't work for me when I tried to log in there)
5. Go back to farm progress.com and make sure you are signed in
6. Go back to search field and again search "virtual rain gauge"
7. Click on Virtual Rain Gauge - Farm Progress link

You should then be on the page where you can create farm pins and receive emails about precipitation.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 pm

THANKS! hell of a website

looks like that place with the HORRIBLE mud isn't doing so hot this year? surely that cant be right?
ksgoosekillr
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Ecat thanks for the info, its much appreciated\

I got it to work, Thanks again
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ksfowler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 pm

I drove through the McPherson wetlands today and they're looking pretty good right now. Lots of water and vegetation, saw a couple pairs of mallard flying around too. Hopefully July and August are at least somewhat wet.
ksfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm

ksfowler wrote:I drove through the McPherson wetlands today and they're looking pretty good right now. Lots of water and vegetation, saw a couple pairs of mallard flying around too. Hopefully July and August are at least somewhat wet.

Yes theyre looking good and according to the map have had about 10 inches of rain this month
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am

do they make hay bailers small enough for yards? I received 2.3 more inches of rain last night which makes 12.4 for June. It sure is nice not having to use the well and sprinkler system but Im wearing out a lawn mower, mowing every 3 days. LOl

Is this the start of El Nino ?
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 am

The Bottoms is in good shape and no matter what happens the rest of the year, it will have sufficient water for the duck season.
Goosekiller, you speak of moving water from Pool 5 into the "refuge pools". Remember that CB has two refuge pools: Pool 5 and Pool 1, with Pool 1 divided into three sections; 1A, 1B, and 1C. I suppose you could call that three separate pools, but I don't. :biggrin:
Either way, ALL the pools have good water in them. So do the other waterfowl areas in the state, from what I've seen in the last two weeks of banding geese. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As far as drowning vegetation; yes, some duck food will be hurt by flooding, but there is a ton of duck food that will thrive quite nicely in the current conditions. Just like a dry summer will help some desireable plants and hurt others. Name your poison, it's six of one half dozen of the other. I say: bring on the ducks. :grooving:

The whole state is in fine shape, and ready for the ducks.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am

Mudd, thanks for the info. Im ready for ducks also
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 pm

MinneKans
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

Looks like the rains continue to help a lot of the hunting areas, it appears The Bottoms and Quivira got about another inch and a half last night. I got 2.4 inches last night and need to bale the yard one more time LOL
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby ksgoosekillr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:09 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Looks like the rains continue to help a lot of the hunting areas, it appears The Bottoms and Quivira got about another inch and a half last night. I got 2.4 inches last night and need to bale the yard one more time LOL

you and me both! after I get done mowing tonight im hooking up the sprayer and some hot 2-4-d and killing off the areas I don't want to mess with anymore. no time to mow have to get the duck boat ready!
ksgoosekillr
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting