new here

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

new here

Postby pappy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:58 am

hey yall,

i just found your little site here. i have been looking at pictures from kansas and it really got my blood pumping. i decided to take the plunge and am planning on coming to kansas in early december.

i will be around sylvan grove trying to get a pheasant or duck or two. so if you run up on an old boy with a big southern drawl and a bigger grin then it'll probably be me.

i do have couple of questions for the experts. first is it hard to get permission to hunt private land? is the hunting good on the public and walk in areas? what is the weather like during the first week of december?

if any of yall live in or near the area and would like to get together for a bite to eat or swap a few tall tales let me know. i might even be willing to teach ya a little proper southern english. yeonto? lemme know.
:thumbsup:
pap
pappy
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:25 pm

For permission, it can be tough to get permission some areas, and others are not as bad. Walk in has some good ground, but by december them roosters have been jacked with for a couple weeks and are pretty wily. By that time, the big open day crowds should be gone, so if you are friendly and knock on a few doors people may let you hunt. Just respect their land (close gates, pick up trash, don't drive off road if they say so, etc.) I usually hunt quail, and getting permission to hunt them is like pulling teeth unless you know somebody.

Weather is unpredictable at best. I have hunted in short sleeves, and I have hunted in ice storms. Be prepared for everything.

Enjoy you stay in this great state.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby pappy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:45 am

thanks for the reply....i used to love to quail hunt when we actually had wild birds here. i refuse to shoot pen raised birds so every year i look for an outta state hunting adventure where they have some kind of upland or duck hunting.in the last three years i have hunted north and south dakota and misssissippi.i love seeing new places even if the hunt doesn't go so well. thanks again for the info.

pap
pappy
hunter

Postby Fatweed » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:22 pm

that area is uhhhhhhh purty unpopulated...and not so spoiled by uhhhhhhhh city folks as much... or at least a few years ago it wasnt... few years ago..???? uhhhhhh dang time flys...its been 20 yrs since i was huntin east of there.....anyway dont think its changed too much yet...so ya might get private permission... uhhhhh go to the local cafe in the mornin and be a respectful good ol boy...and ask at the coffe table... hehehe most of them small towns has a cafe where all the locals meet for coffee in the mornin,,,typically its the liars table... iffen ya ask there ya might get some info...or find someone to let yah.....
Weather can yup be unpredictable..but figure on at least three inches of ice storm.... 45 mph winds with freezin drizzle,,,, snow flurries.... a couple of tornadoes... and then possbily heat stroke too...then youll be prepared... can always takem off,, but dang hard to puttem on when ya havent gottem and ur butts turnin blue....hehehehehe....
Fatweed
hunter

Postby pappy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 pm

hehehehe.......that was funny....i think. or a least scarry.

pap
pappy
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting