Reading the KS hunting Atlas

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Reading the KS hunting Atlas

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:46 am

Hey guys I'm planning a trip out your way this fall. I'm going to try to get on some pheasants and quail, and possibly some ducks if I have time.

My question is how to get directions to the WIHA's that are shown in the Hunting Atlas. You can get a general idea of the location, but the county maps don't have all the roads on them to get right to the areas. Do you have to request specific maps to get better driving directions or what?

Thanks for any help and from what I've seen in brochures you guys have a beautiful state and I wish MO did the WIHA program like you guys do.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:31 am

first you might need to pick a county/ area that you want to hunt then you can get county maps that show all of the wiha ... i would stop by a fish and game dep office when you get in state they should have a booklet thing that has all of the county wiha maps
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:05 pm

You can usually find them in Walmart back in the Sporting Goods.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:17 pm

If you are talking about the whole book of them, I got that in the mail. It is a whole book with a county on each page showing the wiha's. The only problem is, that they don't show all the roads to get to them. Are these the maps you guys are talking about? If they are, they only show major highways and some of these areas aren't even close to any highways. Can you get county by county maps that show more detail? Thanks for the help guys.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:11 pm

To be quite honest with you I just use my head and the few county roads shown to figure out where I need to go. We went to western kansas last year with no intention of hunting public land, but we happened across one spot and I found a bend in the road I thought we were on and that did it for me. You cna buy county maps that have all the roads and landowners but they are $15 a piece so multiple counties could get expensive.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks ks, I kinda figured that it would be fairly easy to find them, but I just wanted to check. I might go out and get a couple of those county maps if I have any problems. Thanks again.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:04 pm

for the most part most of the roads around here are stander square sections and lable very easy to figure out ... so it isn't bad at all finding your way around... (nothing like you folks over in mo) now you get around a lake or something that will mess with you alittle bit but most of it is labeled pretty well
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fatweed » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:07 pm

go to mapquest...or http://www.topozone.com/
Fatweed
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting