Turkey Hunting anyone?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Turkey Hunting anyone?

Postby Captain16 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:59 am

Just wondered if anyone has been Turkey hunting yet around the area? Haven't heard any reports yet. Let us all know!
Captain16
hunter

Postby doane25 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:24 pm

missed one with my bow...
doane25
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:26 am

I'm leaving in about 45 minutes to go hunt one. I will let you know how many I see and bring home. All I want is one!!!
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:53 am

dog broke up a flock on the arkansas bout 9 on wed. but couldn't get the poults back in. went back that evening between them and some wheat and got a hen... mmm, good. do you know their saying there's over 200,000 turkeys in kansas now, thank you kdwp! :salude:
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:08 am

Yeah, usually see them everywhere I go, except when I go hunting for them! :salude: I will get my first one someday.
Captain16
hunter

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 am

captain16, this is the best time to get your first one cause your odds are doubled with the hens. don't listen to those that say fall is a fluke season, worry about your longbeards in the spring, fall is for eatin'. i've found that most farmers will let you hunt turkeys due to the damage they do. if you see them regularly they'll be there. the key in the fall is bustin' up the flocks, then sittin' tight while giving soft purrs & clucks to sound like a mama calling her kids back. parental instincts will kick in & they'll follow the poults. then all you have to do is shoot, kill, & revel at the warm pile of turkey guts...then eat-don't freeze... where you at, i might be able to help. :thumbsup:
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:46 am

Actually here in Wichita. I went out turkey hunting last year, and that being my first year I really did expect to get nothing, but the learning and trying to figure everything out is what is interesting. I hear Turkeys are very smart, and well, I can attest to that. I have just been trying to get all the info I can and put that to the test in the field. Thanks to all for all the info and I can't wait to get that first gobbler!
Captain16
hunter

Postby webfeet » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:06 am

guess i should have looked at your location...duh... good luck captain, you'll kill one... patience is a virtue, course with turkeys it could be a curse too, ya gotta move. they are smart fowl, but like anything, find game, have gun, be still, be quiet, and kill!!!
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:18 am

Yeah, I know mine is sitting out there waiting for me! I just need to find him. Yeah, that is one thing I was trying to figure out last year, whether to sit, or move often? I usually went out to Byron Walker area out west last year, and always saw the turkeys out there while in the truck, then on foot, never saw them of course! So, just need to be at the right place at the right time I guess. Thanks for the info!
Captain16
hunter

Postby woodie » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:04 am

I usually archery hunt in the fall for deer and always have a turkey call with me. People will tell you that turkeys don't gobble during the fall and that's dead wrong!! I call just like spring time and have gobblers come to me strutting and faning. I could have killed many a turkey if I'd had a shotgun instead of my bow. The one thing about the fall is that the turkeys are going to call first thing in the morning when they come off the roost to get flocked up and then it's over, so if you can hear the birds and they're a long ways off you better get closer. Chances are you won't call one over 100 to 125yds. They'll already be flocked up and leaving you behind!!
woodie
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting