How was the weekend?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

How was the weekend?

Postby Captain16 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:08 am

Just wondered if anyone made it out this weekend and how well they did?
Captain16
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:09 pm

Bah,
I wish!! Oct. 29th I'll be up @ Tuttle to visit my Dad...and the steel will fly.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby webfeet » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:49 pm

FARM PONDS BABY!!! did well w/ three of us, thank God for pinny dekes. Lord i promise if you bring me water i,ll never do anything wrong again. Amen.
"why are they landing over there?"
"hold my gun, i can't steer"
WAR WAZZU!!!
webfeet
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:32 am

Pintails huh? Seen only mallards so far here on the other side of wichita...Looks like I'll need to find me some pintail decoys.

They taste better or worse than greenheads??
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby WNGSHTR » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:38 am

We smacked em around pretty good. We had our limit of 36 by 10:30. Mixed bag of Gadies, woodies, Pinnies, and 3 greeenheads. I also noticed that we had a little push Sat. Noticed some migrating Mallards. Should be a good year.
WNGSHTR
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:31 pm

We saw about 150-200 birds working on Saturday. Unfortunately, we set up in a bad spot where the water was too deep, so we couldn't get our dekes out far enough. The public were we hunted was UNBELIEVABLY crowded. Even though we were the second group there, people were still hunting so close that one time shot rained down on our blind from them. It seemed that every time we started working a group of ducks, somebody around would shoot and they'd flare.

Sunday we got into a better spot in the middle of the marsh, and there was NOBODY in our particular marsh. Guess the rain scared 'em off. We got a couple of gadwall early, then a couple of widgeons. After the early flight, the remaining ducks coming in were VERY leary. Looked like a bunch of locals that had been hammered all weekend. After Saturday, there was no such thing as working them into the spread. They weren't going to come very close.

The hunters in the adjacent marsh were still there. Again, if we got a few birds close, they seemed to shoot every damn time.

Final weekend tally: 2 gadwall, 2 widgeon, 1 shovler, and 3 coots.
(I convinced my buddy that a fully dressed out mature coot taste like a delicacy. :laughing: After no more ducks on Sunday, we blasted a few. He's gonna cook it for his brother when he visits next week. Is that bad? Will I get bad duck karma for that? I just couldn't resist.)
:salude:
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:50 am

Went out to Cheney Lake and maybe saw 20 ducks if we were lucky. I did end up seeing some other guys I knew out there and they only got 1 gaddy, 1 hen shoveler, 1 huge greenhead-biggest one I have ever seen. Pretty slow though, guess the warm temps and wind on saturday didn't really help things out. Looks like we are in for another week of warm temps unfortunately. I am going to head out tomorrow (tues) morning if anyone has the day off and would like to go, let me know. Continous good luck to everyone throughout the season! :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Coot Gumbo

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:14 am

Razor, I haven't tried it, but I have spent some significant time in Louisiana when younger and heard straight from the horses mouth that some of them locals will go out and hunt coots, maybe shoot a duck if it wanders by, much like you shot the coots... They make a mean gumbo out of that stuff. I have always wanted to try it, as cooking the stuff is a hobby I appreicate nearly as much as hunting it. I just haven't EVER hunted with ANYONE who would let me off the hook for shooting coots. Nor would I ever admit it on a public forum, that I shot a mess of coots... :oops: (kidding, of course)
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:32 pm

Just to clarify, we weren't hunting coots. I fact, we probably wouldn't have shot any, but I just wanted to play a good joke on my buddy. I can't wait to hear him call me and say, "Dude!!! I thought you said these things were a delicacy! I've never tasted anything so awful in my life!"

The only reason is that he wanted to shoot one when we didn't see any action. I'm just tryin to teach him a lesson to NOT shoot coots because it scares the ducks away. He's of the "if it flies, it dies" mentality. Even if you don't see ducks around, they could be in the area and won't come close if they hear gunshots.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Good natured fun, Razor, just some ribbing. I wasn't kidding, there are those in the bayou that swear by 'em! (heck, I even knew a fella up this way that fancied the little monkey-pawed rat birds - he had me swear under oath he'd remain anonymous - social implications, you know)

But honestly, just kidding. Not trying to beat you down, man. It'd be a fun joke to play on someone. I'll keep that one in my back pocket for a rainy day with a rookie...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:07 pm

I will agree. Razors friend DOES live by "If it flies it dies" And that is all I will say about that. Good thing there weren't any low flying 737 on saturday or we would have had a big problem.

lol
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:12 pm

I definitely know a few hunters like that. If it flies it dies! :smile:
Captain16
hunter

Postby KS_PuddleJumper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:16 pm

Well, In my own personal opinion, sounds like the guy probably deserves to dine on such culinary delights as the coot...
KS_PuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:23 pm

I'm glad I had all the warning I got about these birds before I went out and shot a few thinking they may taste okay! Thanks for everyones jokes and warnings about these! :getdown:
Captain16
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting