Taylorsville Lake Hunting

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Taylorsville Lake Hunting

Postby teddysberna » Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 am

I'm looking for some informationat about Taylorsville Lake and its duck hunting... I'm going to be moving to the Bardstown area to coach in the fall... I plan on having a boat, and know that Taylorsville has public hunting, but I don't know how good it is, or anything about the lake really... I don't know much else about the area either, if there are any particular spots worth checking out or what, and didn't know if any of you veterans on here had any useful information... I would greatly appreciate any information shared on here, and if I figure anything out on my own over the next few months, I'll be more than willing to share that as well... Thanks Guys
Last edited by teddysberna on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Re: Taylorsville Lake Hunting

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:10 pm

From experience, I can tell you it will be waste of your time. I wouldn't hunt that lake if I lived at the boat ramp. The only time it holds any kind of numbers is when the water gets out of the banks. You can then find a few in flooded fields, and timber on the river end, but when i say a find a few i mean you might see a few.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
Canadas: 121
Snows: 1
Ducks: 102
WI
Geese: 0
Ducks: 5

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Haha thats disappointing... Thanks for the heads up, I just moved to Bardstown and didnt know about it, but I guess I'll be looking for some private fields or something to hunt instead... I've got a boat, are there any places around here that would be worth checking out, like creeks or rivers? I'm not looking for honey holes here, I know those are secrets, but just an idea, ya know? Thanks
ByersFarm wrote:

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm

PM Sent
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
WI

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 pm

your areas are hit and miss from what ive always heard. try checking on kentuckyhunting.net aswell. those guys wont give up spots but you might be able to make a few connections and hunting partners and more ky people frequent the site as to this one goes dead fast and doesnt pick up as much as you would think in the winter.

dont let kyfowl20 fool you. he has killed a few on taylorsville but worked too hard to do it. and also the ducks you see will be there that day and gone the next. and usually always someone else on the lake there doing the same thing too. hope for a good migration of coots and have at em.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 am

:lol3: I've never even had a good cooter poppin on that lake. Idk why, but they don't seem to like it either. Oh well, Them cooters be waitin for me in Blood River. :yes: :hammer:
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
WI

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:04 pm

I appreciate the insight guys, always helps to know whether or not I'll be wasting my time or if I need to put more time in to make it worth while... Thanks for the heads up :beer:
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 pm

I wouldnt count out all those lakes and streams up through your areas they hold woodies yr round and some teal on occasions. Just gotta be willing to do the scouting. down here alot of times we just go to spots we've had good luck at and go from there. and still have some decent shoots. but really scouting is the main key where your going to be at. and local goose numbers seem to be better in your area if you can track em down or get permission some ppl your ways are more willing to let you then in the western side of the state.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:59 pm

That's what I'm hoping for... Not expecting to shoot any limits, just shoot some ducks and geese and have a good time... Hopefully I can get on some private fields and ponds around here, and still have the creeks and lakes to check out too... Just counting down the days though... September can't get here soon enough, then on to November :beer:
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby black olt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:40 pm

t-ville is a joke when it comes to waterfowl in th 90's it held some ducks but they had corn in the upper bottoms now they don't lease them out they have moist soil units and that is just a lazy for kdfwr to say they did something to atrack ducks not counting the hunting pressure
black olt
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 am

What about any of the other lakes around this part of the state?? I see some decent groups of geese fly through occasionally in the mornings, but can't seem to find where they go or where they come from yet, guess I'm not looking hard enough...
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby duck'n & buck'n » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:01 am

if your living in bardstown Green river lake is going to be your best bet, and even on good years it not all that. plus there can be a lot of preasure. they have a draw for blinds there but not sure if that has happened yet.
duck'n & buck'n
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Yea, I was thinking about going to the blind draw for Green River, its in September I believe... It would be my first blind draw, how do they work usually?
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby duck'n & buck'n » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 pm

i assume it is a lottery, but not sure about the inner workings, but i do know they had some blinds in a wetland area that are not on the lake. the truth is that there is not any really good public duck hunting areas in that part of the state, but the bardstown area can hold some birds on the some private farms, especially around the jim beam plant. they have a bunch of big lakes and one is by the main road, and u can really watch them pile in there in the evenings.
duck'n & buck'n
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Geese? Just curious, I feel like I'm pushing my luck here with this thread, but I appreciate all the info... I did see a small group of ducks flying today, looked to be heading towards Taylorsville, but its hard to tell... :thumbsup:
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:48 am

The lake you are seeing all those geese on in bardstown is a refuge if im not mistaken. Teddy- The geese you were seeing flying towards t-ville werent going to the lake, they passed it up and went to a corn field I have permission to hunt. They have been doing so for a while now :yes:
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2013 / 2014 Season

KY:
WI

KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 am

That must be nice :lol: But yea, I've seen a lot more goose action around T-ville than I have over here in Bardstown... Saw several big groups Friday night flying over by Simpson Lake, but it was right at dark...Looks like I'll be heading south for the opening weekend though, down by London, my buddy says hes been seeing tons of them using a field we can hunt... I can't wait though
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby black olt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 pm

t-ville sucks for waterfowl it will have a few ducks when they mir. thru but our game and fish does not have anything to hold them there if there is no food they won't stay
black olt
hunter

Postby leeawalden » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:11 am

Put in at Van Buren, two years ago was the last time I hunted up there and they opened the refuge to hunting. It was still awful though. We shot one bird the 4 times we went.
leeawalden
hunter

Postby stockeland » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Welcome, my name is Lane Stockeland, I am an Army chaplain at Fort Knox, and love to hunt ducks. I am new to KY and also am looking for spots to hunt. Some guys from this site mentioned Cedar Creek. If u need someone to tag along with u, pls let me know. Others have told he to head west to Peabody or Sloughs WMA. Not sure what kind of a boat is needed to hunt the OH river, they say u need something big. blessings, Lane
stockeland
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:53 pm

A few friends and I did one day at Taylorsville during early season. I was just a guess to go out there. We scouted the week before and saw about 2 dozen ducks down near the old refuge. We didn't have a boat so we walked a mile with 400 lbs of gear. On the day we went, we only took 2 ducks, but saw 6 in total. Now, in winter pool, the shallows for ducks are going to be well dried up. I read about some luck there, but I probably wouldn't go back. There is a moist soil area that might attract some ducks. Good luck.

I'm in Lexington and might try that Cedar Creek. But it is small and as I read on here, can be crowded. A couple trips west to Ballard may be your best bet.
mike_b
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah, Taylorsville lake is not good for duck hunting.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting