life jacket . do you wear one ?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

life jacket . do you wear one ?

Postby huntthemup » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:46 am

I didn't until I got married . I always had one close but never on . Was on my way to my 1 duck hunt as a husband.she woke up made eggs and bacon. And asked if I wore my life jacket ? I said no . She asked if I would for her . And I have not left the ramp in 6 yrs with out it on . The lost young hunter made me think back to that . My prayers go out to his family . And to the two young men that were with him that made it to shore. Be safe .
huntthemup
hunter

Re: life jacket . do you wear one ?

Postby FOWLER2671 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:11 am

I do alot more than I used to. Oh and lets disspell the waders pull you under story. Neroprene waders are the best thing you can have on in addition to a PFD. Neroprene floats like a cork and insulates you from the cold water which causes hypothermia which kills more than drowning.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:04 am

Yea but what about when they fill up with ice cold water?
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby P1agu3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:36 pm

teddysberna wrote:Yea but what about when they fill up with ice cold water?

They are very similar to wetsuits you use for diving, with the exception of the big open end, but the water that does get trapped in is warmed by body heat.
P1agu3
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm

When I get my boat running I will wear one, and require my guests to do so as well.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby phil » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Indeed! I consider my PDF the most important piece of equipment in my boat. Wear it! My PDF and waders saved my life a few years ago!
phil
hunter

Postby 13space82 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 pm

i dont wear it all the time, but usually in the morning going out i wear it and if the wind is whipping up some good swells i'll wear it too.
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
13space82
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm

i get made fun of all the time for doing it. but i wear one going in and going out. they always laugh saying you think that's gonna save you from the cold *** water and i say well it gives me a better chance then you will have without one.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby phil » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:51 pm

I am passionate about this because it may be a matter of life and death for someone reading this thread. Accidents rarely happen when we are expecting them. I am a fairly big ol boy and strong enough to hold my own, but I know from experience that I cannot swim in waders and hunting clothes. I tried to swim for a few minutes but I realized that I was making no headway and that I was wearing myself out fast. Those who think waders will make you float are also mistaken. Go out next summer and give it a try for yourself! I have top of the line equipment and my pdf kept my chin just above the water. I was all that I could do to hand paddle for an hour and forty-five minutes before I finally made it to shore. I wouldn't be hear to share this story if my pdf wasn't on. It all happened so fast there was no time to "grab it". Also, good health, physical condition, and body size all helped, but I credit my waders for preventing sever hypothermia in 40 - 45 degree water.
phil
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:39 am

I can tell you first hand neoprene floats some what ...they take on some water but nothing too bad....and they definately keep you warmer..I dont know how long I would have been able to stay afloat but fortunately when i fliped my boat i was able to reach it soon after...I will also tell you its an ordeal I never want to go thru again and never get into a boat in the winter time loaded down with gear with out a life jacket.
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby stockeland » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm

aboslutely, u can also get the emergency ones that strap around your waders. I have some Redhead waders I got from Bass Pro in Vegas and they came with the emergency belt that u put around the waist. Pull the trip cord and the CO2 ignites the belt. blessings and stay safe. CHAP
stockeland
hunter

Postby dablaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm

I was on the lake this evening doing a rare afternoon hunt, and I'll tell ya that the swells we as big as I have ever seen them in my 44 years..I can count on one hand how many times I have seen swells in the 6-8 foot size..Tonight was one of those times..I went in before it got dark so I could see the waves coming...When you have a steady 15+ mph northwest wind,that works up the water to a frothy frenzy..The lake is orientated northwest to southeast so it was right down the river..I saw a tub pushing barges 4 deep and when the waves would bust over the first barge the spray was going over the tug, 4 barges back...I'm glad just to be in...Got the decoys set out for in the morning though so won't have all that weight and bother in the morning..

I can see how people with no experience on the lake loaded or better yet, overloaded with gear and people,get into trouble..You need to know your limits of yourself and your gear...I have a pretty big boat and still took about 4 good ones over the front..I can't imagine anyone in say a 16-17 ft boat out there...

PFD stays on the whole time I'm in the boat whether sitting in it or driving...Along with my newfound best friend, my Cabela's big man neoprene waders, I felt relatively safe..I stayed only about 100ft off the bank as well..I didn't have far to go, but wouldn't be caught dead without my vest on...No play on words intended...

Just be safe and always ALWAYS wear your PFD..If your buddies think your a sissy or "Not cool" for wearing it, tell them to get ahold of me and I'll show them pics of people that didn't wear there vest that overturned their boats and went into the water..

Done preaching...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby UKduckhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 pm

I absolutly wear my life Jacket. You never know when that freak accident may be you. People tell me it wont save me from the cold water, but it gives me a better chance than not wearing one at all. Plus I put the boat in the same bay I hunt when on big water, and usually don't run too farr off shore. Wearing it is one of the best choices you could make.

Merry Christmas to everyone
UKduckhunter
hunter

Postby BlackDuck09 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:09 pm

everytime no matter what the conditions. i even wore it the other day in a 28ft pontoon boat. people can laugh if they want, but they won't be laughing when they aren't here anymore, just because they wanted to look like a HARDA$$ and not wear one
BlackDuck09
hunter

Postby Swingo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

Neoprene waders will not keep you warm like a wetsuit would. Wetsuits are sealed units, waders are open on top and the cold water is not trapped inside where it can warm. It exchanges freely. Here's a good article about a guy who nearly died here. Couldn't move when his waders filled, could not even pull himself into the rescue boat. Went hypothermic in the ambulance.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/hunting-sa ... -situation
Swingo
hunter

Postby mox » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I wear one. Don't think because you're duck hunting it needs to be camo either. Pink yellow black or white - wear one.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby KYDUCKKILLA » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm

I have the self depolyable one that cabelas makes. I forget the model number but it is sweet! I can shoot my gun no problem with it on and cant even hardly tell it is there. better safe than sorry is how I feel
KYDUCKKILLA
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting