nky whats your duck goose avg.

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

nky whats your duck goose avg.

Postby huntthemup » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

We normally bring home a few ducks . And a goose or two . On a good day . To hunt nky and the river mostly you just have to love the outdoors . Before this year that's been all its been about just being out . So what's your avg. In nky not to the west where they have ducks . And what's been your best year ?
huntthemup
hunter

Re: nky whats your duck goose avg.

Postby bullfries » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Its usually just me and another guy, we usually scratch out a few and a goose or two, our best has been two limits of mallards and 4 geese. With everything thawing out right now its gonna be hard to find them. My best year was over ten years ago.... but this has been a pretty good year so far.
bullfries
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:47 am

I sorta laugh everytime I see the "Easterners" claim all the ducks are out West. I would venture to say that most of the geese killed in the state are East of about Henderson.

Ducks are pretty damn rare these days.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby bullfries » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 am

I Agree with the geese being killed in the eastern side of the state, but the only ducks we see are mallards and a few woodies.
bullfries
hunter

Postby huntthemup » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:51 am

Yes if we had as many ducks as we do geese that would be nice. What do think has happened to the western part of the states goose numbers ? It's only been in the last five years that we have good goose numbers .
huntthemup
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 am

I'm not the biologist and I dont' have the band return #s but it seems that the MVP goose pop doesnt' migrate this far anymore.

The SSJB Population seems to still migrate into Ky or maybe there are just alot more residents in Oh/Ky that you kill.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby bullfries » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:39 pm

FOWLER2671 wrote:I'm not the biologist and I dont' have the band return #s but it seems that the MVP goose pop doesnt' migrate this far anymore.

The SSJB Population seems to still migrate into Ky or maybe there are just alot more residents in Oh/Ky that you kill.

I would be willing to bet that most if not all of the geese I shoot are residents.
bullfries
hunter

Postby BlackDuck09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 pm

I agree that most of the MVP's just don't seem to make it this far south anymore. Seems that thier latest tradition is hanging up around Chicago and Central IL, rather than making their way farther south. I've talked to a few older hunters and most of them have told me that back in their day western ky (ballard, fulton, etc.) was the place to be for goose hunting, not northern IL, but things can change i guess. Now those places in wky are more known for thier ducks and not so much thier geese.

Back on subject, everytime I go to the north and eastern parts of the state I will see canadians everywhere and only very few ducks, I'm not sure whether the geese are locals or migrators but i know those areas definantly hold many more geese and i highly doubt they are all locals.
BlackDuck09
hunter

Postby DoubleCutt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am

We have a place up that way that we stop off and hunt every year 3 or 4 times and flat wear the birds out. Geese and dry feeding ducks off of the river. Been on many a good shoots up there around Cinci, OH. Now, that being said it is not as good on the regular as it is up around Dayton, OH (Which is where we are headed when we stop off and shoot N. KY) but with limited ag fields it isn't all that tough to figure out where the birds will be.
DoubleCutt
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting