Duck Pond: how are the good blinds fairing?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Duck Pond: how are the good blinds fairing?

Postby BlackDuck09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Just wondering how the "good blinds" on the duck pond are doing? The spots everyone wanted at the draw, such as 7, 8, etc...
BlackDuck09
hunter

Re: Duck Pond: how are the good blinds fairing?

Postby kyduckhunter08 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

i was wondering the same thing blackduck09
Duckjunkies field staff

Ky geese=93
ky ducks=102
Tn ducks=20
crappy SEASON!
kyduckhunter08
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

7 is the we had. someone decided to take 90% of the decoys home with them one day after they hunted. it hasnt killed 100 ducks this season. half the time we would see ducks going other places so we always moved there. been a crap shoot for that place. blind 8 did better then 7 earlier in the season but really didnt have a good season ethier. and has been slow also.i think 4 has shot some divers. just havent seen anyone havea barn burner day ne where around there.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby hoyboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:28 am

u got to hunt your blind regular to kill ducks.... Barkley is such a hit or miss spot. One day u wont see a duck or none will work and the very next day u cant beat them off with a stick.blind 7 had around 350 ducks setting within 100 yds alll the way around it yesterday. too shallow for my boat to make it to the blind.
hoyboy
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm

yeah but blind 7 has had the ducks set around it all season. but thats where they set lol. they set there for a reason.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby kydrake » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I agree with ya Blake. It don't matter how regular you hunt a blind, if there's no ducks in the area your not gonna kill. If all you had to do was be there regularly to kill then every blind would be full everyday. Its not hit or miss... Its got birds or not.
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby hoyboy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

i just know the guys that hunt their blinds regular and what kind of numbers they have so far this year. They have showed me the proof not just making up numbers. They have said their are days they get totally skunked but u cant expect to b swarmed with birds everyday...b to easy and then everyone would b want to b out there :yes:
hoyboy
hunter

Postby ccdrake88 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 am

Anybody got a rough estimate of how many birds are at the pond now? I plan on hunting down there in the morning and was just trying to get an idea of what the bird situation was looking like. I saw the survey on the net and it said around 1200 birds but i figured we had probably gotten some more since the survey was done almost 2 weeks ago.
"cut em!"
Days hunted- 5
Kentucky geese-83 Bands:1
Kentucky ducks-50
Kentucky snows-1
ccdrake88
hunter

Postby dricheson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:28 pm

we hunted #6 yesterday and alot of birds flew right past us and landed about 50 yrds from 7. still a bunch of birds down there but it seems they r starting to get call shy really bad u hit a call they fly higher lol we even took out our robos and it got better as for as action yesterday was slow but a few buddies of mine hunted on the mud flats down there friday and had an awesome day. it is a hit and miss down there one day cant keep ur gun loaded quick enough and days like yesterday u barely get to pull the trigger.
Last edited by dricheson on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM WACKEM N STACKEM
dricheson
hunter

Postby hoyboy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

couldnt agree with u more....... :thumbsup:
hoyboy
hunter

Postby ccdrake88 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 pm

yea we hunted 6 today from 12 til about 4 or so and we didnt bother with our robos either they still didnt really want anything to do with us and they flew right on by us and sat down bout 100 yards on the edge of a mud flat... we did manage to kill a black duck and a gadwall so the afternoon wasnt a complete waste. It sure we be nice to get some new birds, but from what im hearing from some buddies of mine that have been in arkansas and mississippi it sounds like there all down there. o well
"cut em!"
Days hunted- 5
Kentucky geese-83 Bands:1
Kentucky ducks-50
Kentucky snows-1
ccdrake88
hunter

Postby BlackDuck09 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 pm

well went today. and managed to sneek up and kill a gadwall that was sleeping on a log, but get this. on the way down the edge of the bank to sneek up on the gadwall, a black duck flushed out of the woods. craziset $hit ive seen in a while, although the other day on the north end of the lake me and a buddy saw about 6 black ducks feeding on the bank nearly in the woods. not real sure what they are eating but that is what it appears they are doing.
BlackDuck09
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting