Barkley Lake

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Barkley Lake

Postby DoubleCutt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:07 am

Hey guy, a newbie here. I don't usually post in forums, more of a casual reader, but there seems to be a few lake hunters on here and I have a question for those of you that are in the know. I have just recently started hunting the lake some due to the poor numbers/stale birds in Henderson County, and I was not sure about one thing...occupying someones blind 30 min before shooting hours. Is that a common practice down there and if so, how do the blind owners view it? We have been hunting from the bank and/or the boat. My buddy has wanted to go get in a blind a few times, but I just felt wierd about it. Not because we were going to take/tear anything up, but it just sort of seemed like crossing a line to me. I know that the group of guys that hunt the lake on the regular are a pretty tight knit group and I was wondering how this practice was viewed, and how the locals handled it if you did occupy a blind and then someone pulled up 5 min before shooting time claiming to be the owner or something like that. Just not wanting to get in a pissing match with someone on the water first thing before a hunt if this is not a regularly practiced custom.
DoubleCutt
hunter

Re: Barkley Lake

Postby FOWLER2671 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

I would guess most of those blinds are empty thru the week. probably 40% are available on weekends with as slow as it's been.

I personally think you will do better on the shore.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby gnan222 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 am

the birds are real blind shy by now, take some layouts and hide next to something inconspicuous, the birds arent only blind shy but they dont even really want to be close to the woods or any kind of cover, ive been hunting next to a small dead tree and have had some success. As far as the blinds go, if they arent there 30 min before shooting light they are first come first serve, dont let anybody tell you different
gnan222
hunter

Postby DoubleCutt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 pm

That is the plan...as far as layouts and getting out away from the timber. Actually, we have got a bar scouted out and are planning on throwing the full monty at them. 2 dz fullbodies, 4 dz silouettes, and 8 dz floaters. We will just have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

Thanks for the info. I was not sure how the local crowd viewed the blind thing. I am sure they are shy right now...that is what happens with late season ducks/geese. But should the proper situation arise...
DoubleCutt
hunter

Postby gnan222 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm

ive been doing fine with about 18 dekes, throwing everything at em might work too but if they dont want to work real well pick most of em up, i like to put 90% of my dekes ab 30 to 50 yards upwind and leave maybe a pair or 3 right where i want to shoot, they tend to land right on those lone few, hope this helps, good luck!
gnan222
hunter

Postby marshall man » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 am

I don't have a problem with anyone using my blind.Three times this year I have went to my blind an hour before shooting time and found guys with full spreads already out.I simply told them I was going to hunt and they picked up their stuff and left with no issues.I know they are trying to be the first one there but went to alot of trouble very early and not knowing if the owner would show up.All three times I had people with me so the blind was already full or I would have simply told them they could stay and hunt with me.Last week I hunted it and found alot of trash left behind, atleast they could take the trash with them.The birds are blind shy, I saw two guys on the bank from my blind and every duck that looked at me would circle then go to the guys on the bank, they had killed 5 when I stopped for the mourning around 9, that was Mon.the 17th
marshall man
Newb

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting