Tail wagged the dawg today.....

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Tail wagged the dawg today.....

Postby dablaw » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Ever just have one of those days??

Got up to go to the lake..Shake shake..Get up son...oh Dad I'm tired and not feeling good...Ok well go back to bed them..Big wussie...thinking to myself..So anyways..I get down to the lake a little before daylight..Don't get in a big hurry these days...

Get the boat unhooked and start down a very icy ramp...4wd locked in and no problem really..Enough dry ground to keep from sliding all the way down..lol...Get the boat in, pull the truck up and park it.Try to creep real slow waking down the ramp..Happens anyway..all 300 pounds of me feet straight up and slam my butt on the ground..OUCH!!Must have hit really hard as my butt now has a crack in it...Still plenty of time..get in and motor starts but dies...Just a little cold no biggie...Hit it again, hand slips off key, so hit it again and nothing...Starter spinning but not making contact with the flywheel...Ok well don't have a spare starter but put the trolling motor down and get to the ramp...I have my chest waders on so i get my tools and get the covers off...Give a few love taps to the starter, but not really doing like I wanted..

O.K. Here is where the day goes from bad to worse...As I'm at the back of the boat working on the motor..I take a step directly behind the motor and slip off the back of the ramp underwater...As I slip off I pull on the back of the boat which in turn pulls the bow off the bank and here i go hanging on as the boat drifts off into 15 feet of water..2 mistakes here..Should have had the boat beached farther on the ramp like I would normally do, and should have known where the end of the ramp was underwater...

I clear my head real damned fast and think..Ok I have to get in the boat..So I somehow get in on the back of the boat..I mean the very back..I manage to get inside,half pissed and half laughing..Put the trolling motor AGAIN and get to the ramp..

Loaded the boat up and went up the ramp and parked..Worked on the starter...still thinking I can salvage a morning even though it's well daylight now...Not happening..So I start putting everthing up and while walking to the truck along side of the boat...Feet in the air and lights out...I came to I think about 5 minutes or so later...Got in the truck and sat there till I got my thought process in order...Finished loading up and came on home...Took a shower and went to bed by 8am..Got up about noon...Had a good lunch..Went and worked on the motor again..Hook up the muffs and tapped the starter and worked perfect..I started it maybe 100 times flawlessly...Wife said how bout me and you go back to the lake and get some driftwood which I had piled up for taxidermy over the summer..I said sure what the heck..Got down there there and boat ran perfect...started every time like a new one..Got done getting the wood and loaded the boat..Hit the key and same fraking thing..Looks like the bendix is just not wanting to engage everytime ...Just like on an old car..give em a tap..sometimes it will hit sometimes not..Anyway did get home and enjoyed the time this afternoom with my wife..Alot of wives would have been all in an uproar..I have a very good woman...

Now the reason I posted this was not so much to talk about a crappy day, but hopefully some of you others will learn something from this..I'm 44 years old and have never had an accident on the water..Today was the closest I have been...Just trying to show especially you younger guys that even someone with many years experience can have things come apart real quick...How you react to them is the difference between a bad day, and a call to you loved ones from the police that you died...

My life is not worth a 100 dollar starter...did I miss some decent hunting? Probably, as I was floating there were 4 goldeneye about 50 yards from me landing...

Just always remember to slow down and evaluate whats going on around you in a serious situation...Bless you all..Keep your powder dry...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Re: Tail wagged the dawg today.....

Postby Eschutz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Great story! I'd be one of those young guys, that learned something from this, thank you.

Felt compelled to post, surprised no one responded on the State level, oh well.

Be good Sir!

Erich
Hauptmann-Team Sneak Attack

kal9wt wrote:Classic.  

Just walk right up and start shooting, sounds eerily remenescent of the bathing beach incident. Have fun E-Tard

TSA '11-'12
Shells: 310
Snows 29

KEA
Eschutz
hunter

Postby mox » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Good lesson for the younger crowd and a good laugh.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby dablaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Looking back at it now I laugh as well...I can't beleive at my age I made those mistakes and was so careless...Just some days things start off bad and get worse...You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em....Man does that give that old song new meaning....
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting