So I'm standing outside while ago.......

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

So I'm standing outside while ago.......

Postby dablaw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:36 pm

.....watching my pond we dug lst year finally start reaching the top of the levee with all the runoff from the foot and a half of snow melting.....Just standing there..In camo, just because I happened to have it on...When I hear that sound up over my head..You know the one you hear when your picking up dekes during the season, and you know whats coming, and you usually dont have your gun on your shoulder....Yeah that sound...Gliding of wings overhead...I just froze out of instict I suppose..Funny how even though the season is over how you still think of "Get the gun"....lol...So as I tip my hat skyward, just enough to see...And praying it's blackbirds rather than ducks...I look and see them right as there feathery butts hit the water 30 yards away..A very handsome and very full plumed pair of Pintails...The sun hitting his bronze head..What a pretty bird..Both necks stretched at attention..And then just like that they bust the water and are airborne with that up and rolling away that we discussed in the hardest shots post...A few minutes later I saw another lone drake pintail come from the same direction and went over the trees and was gone..I guess there must be a little group of them somewhere nearby...

Someone started another post about what your favorite part of waterfowling was..I would say little quiet moments like that...Didn't have to have a gun, didn't have to be set up with dekes everywhere..Just a moment that I can file away to recall another day...Just thought I would share...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Re: So I'm standing outside while ago.......

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 am

Still a few mallards on the other spot but i didnt' see any pintails.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby Bgold » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:05 am

GET THE GUN!
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby BlackDuck09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 am

It seems like only when the season is out do they make there way to your little secret holes, those places where you can really shoot them in the beak. Its just too bad.......
BlackDuck09
hunter

Postby Bgold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:47 am

Doesn’t it seem that way with every game animal. I have deer in my yard every morning....cept during deer season
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting