no geese

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

no geese

Postby scastle » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 am

went scouting this morn and couldnt find a goose,corn is far from ripe. :sad: :sad: where should the geese be? in the rivers? :huh: :huh: never had any trouble finding geese before,but never really looked for them.this is my first real season thanks
scastle
hunter

Re: no geese

Postby duckruschinn » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:49 pm

this time of year we typically find them where there is a population of people. ie, on the ohio river we find them near riverside restaurants and parks with people. Also, many of the birds are locals right now so they are fairly domesticated. But as always they are going to be where the food is. Sod fields, soybeans, wheat fields, and areas where there is new grass. we found a few dozen in a freshly mowed 10 acre field , backing up to the ohio river, eating the small seeds from the mowed ground cover. These local geese know where its safe, and know where there is a fairly steady supply of food.
duckruschinn
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 pm

scastle wrote:went scouting this morn and couldnt find a goose,corn is far from ripe. :sad: :sad: where should the geese be? in the rivers? :huh: :huh: never had any trouble finding geese before,but never really looked for them.this is my first real season thanks

Should've went to the golf course. I saw a bunch this morning, not to mention another 200 or so in Orange Lot by Commonwealth.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hccumminssmoke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 am

went to lexington and saw about 40 flying downs Leestown over a thoroughbred farm...had about 20 steady coming every morning eating pastures, chilling at the pond, and in hay fields untill a huge storm came through last week and I have not seen them since, hope they come back for sept goose... :lol:
hccumminssmoke
hunter

Postby kydrake » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm

They all drown in the flood we had this spring!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 am

My Blue Water geese have been M.I.A. in the past week or so... I'm getting a little worried. Maybe I need to start plannin' a sneak on some Arrowhead geese?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby scastle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:14 pm

aint poop around lex. unless you go in town and law kinda frowns on that :sad:
scastle
hunter

Postby kysupernova » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Got two spots lined up for next weeks opener. One spot has over 100 showing up, and the other around 25 hope they stick around. :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:
kysupernova
hunter

Postby kydrake » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:21 pm

mox wrote:My Blue Water geese have been M.I.A. in the past week or so... I'm getting a little worried. Maybe I need to start plannin' a sneak on some Arrowhead geese?

Sorry Mox!! My finger got to itchin real bad bout the first week of August and I took the Bluewater flock out!! No seriously I seen them bout 2 weeks ago but havent been back by there.
kydrake
State Moderator

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting