New to the Western Kentucky Area

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

New to the Western Kentucky Area

Postby greenhead1987 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

Back in April I got a job in Paducah and had to relocate from Southern Illinois. I am trying to learn the area here in Western Kentucky. I thought that surely someone that I work with would be an outdoorsman but boy was I wrong. They all like to chase little white balls around for fun :lol: . I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction for some good duck hunting come November :help: ? I have been searching for some places to deer hunt the last couple of months with no luck and am hoping that the duck hunting might come a little easier. I have a boat and a blind so getting on big water will not be a problem. I am open to anything.

It is really frustrating :mad: moving down here and leaving all of the knowledge of the places around Southern Illinois to hunt behind, but at the same time it is an awesome oportunity for me to hunt some great new places.

Also, I know that there is a lot of waterfowl hunting in Ballard County and around the river but what about other areas?

Well thanks for your time,
Mark
greenhead1987
hunter

Re: New to the Western Kentucky Area

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:02 pm

southern illinois is almost spitting distance from paducah lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby greenhead1987 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Driving gets pretty old quick. Plus I can take a few hours off in the morning and go before work if I knew of somewhere to go. Don't get me wrong I am still going to hunt in Southern Illinois though. Had too many good days up there just to abandon it lol
greenhead1987
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Well isn't that a coincidence. I, too, moved here from Southern Illinois in April. (though my wife got the job down here, I decided to go to school) Where in Southern Illinois did ya move from? Did ya move to Paducah or one of the surrounding towns? I am in Carlyle county, out in the middle of no where, and I love it!! As far as duck hunting spots go I have not looked around much. The house I am renting has a pond 50 yds from the back door and my landlord owns around 100 acres a big part of which he has set up with 2 pits and one blind and floods for duck and goose hunting. So far I haven't talked to him about hunting the pond by the house and so far no mention of hunting with him, but he definately likes me a lot more than the last tenants so I think I am good to go. I know the guy up the road kills quite a few ducks and if they are in the area I should get a few on the pond. As far as public land goes I would look for sloughs and channels coming off the ohio and tennessee rivers. Check it out on google earth, I bet there are some good spots but no idea on the competition. Good luck man.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting