Barkley Blind Drawing is Monday!! 9-19-11

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: Barkley Blind Drawing is Monday!! 9-19-11

Postby kydrake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 am

teamoutlaw wrote:ballard didnt get much corn out ethier. horseshoe lake illinois got alllloooooottttt of corn out. and guess what..... I got a pit 50 yards from the refuge lol

:biggrin: :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:14 pm

but when I hunt barkley im hunting someones blind and shooting at every coot that swims up in the deeks with the ole's scatter gun. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek: :thumbsup:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm not knocking anyone but there is a steep learning curve to leaving decoys out all season... You need the right weight along with high quality swivels and you still better hope the ice doesnt' take them...

I find around two dozen decoys every season across a wide swath of West Ky/Tn from guys who took the gambe and I would like to thank you for donating to the cause! And I'm anything but a thief but if it drifts well out of a spread or the line breaks; it's probably getting recued by me or someone else.

Thats just part of the cost of not having to put that huge spread out every morning.

The best day was finding 14 Higdons within 200 yards after some doofuss thought those factory weights and tangle free line that they came pre rigged with would work on Ky Lake...
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby kydrake » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:02 pm

FOWLER2671 wrote:I'm not knocking anyone but there is a steep learning curve to leaving decoys out all season... You need the right weight along with high quality swivels and you still better hope the ice doesnt' take them...

I find around two dozen decoys every season across a wide swath of West Ky/Tn from guys who took the gambe and I would like to thank you for donating to the cause! And I'm anything but a thief but if it drifts well out of a spread or the line breaks; it's probably getting recued by me or someone else.

Thats just part of the cost of not having to put that huge spread out every morning.

The best day was finding 14 Higdons within 200 yards after some doofuss thought those factory weights and tangle free line that they came pre rigged with would work on Ky Lake...

Thanks for the advice Mr Steep Learning Curve but you dont lose 10 doz over night!! We have two pound each weights we use or hole bricks depending on what the mud is like at the spot. We use braided line and rig them so that there is no rubbing of the string on the weight. When decoys get away thats what the name and number on the bottom of them is for. I find them all the time also and either throw them back in the owners spread, drop them by their house, or call if I dont reconize the name. I hope I see some of my dekes in your spread cause I will roll right up in the middle of it and get em whether you found them a mile from my spread or 100 yds!! :beer:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby hoyboy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 am

well said kydrake :clapping:
hoyboy
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

Actually you can loose ten dozen if the ice doesnt' cooperate... Ive' had cattle fence "T" posts that were used to hold trotline decoy stringers in place get bent over sideways by a good drift of ice...

I dont' bother wasting the ink on the bottom of decoys anymore as Ive' had my share get away just like the rest of you. If it's someone I know and like; they get a call. Otherwise; Thanks for the donation! :yes:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby mox » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Didn't go to the drawing but I'll be spending a little time around the refuge this season. I took a ride out there during early season and thought I saw milo planted?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 am

kydrake wrote:
FOWLER2671 wrote:I'm not knocking anyone but there is a steep learning curve to leaving decoys out all season... You need the right weight along with high quality swivels and you still better hope the ice doesnt' take them...

Thanks for the advice Mr Steep Learning Curve but you dont lose 10 doz over night!! We have two pound each weights we use or hole bricks depending on what the mud is like at the spot. We use braided line and rig them so that there is no rubbing of the string on the weight. When decoys get away thats what the name and number on the bottom of them is for. I find them all the time also and either throw them back in the owners spread, drop them by their house, or call if I dont reconize the name. I hope I see some of my dekes in your spread cause I will roll right up in the middle of it and get em whether you found them a mile from my spread or 100 yds!! :beer:

Young gwashopper learn well... :wink:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 am

i dont care who u r, im shooting your decoys...... lol jk :grooving:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:i dont care who u r, im shooting your decoys...... lol jk :grooving:

Hold ur dang horses Outlaw!!! Shoot all the Flambooies you want but these hands gots them Dakota brand decoys on the end of the string... I would never spring for the cost of them things but sure wouldnt' object if one swam into my setup!!! :beer:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby kyduckhunter08 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

theres nothing to learn about how to put decoys out right and them stay for the whole season! This aint my first second or third rodeo. you get enough weight to hold the decoy down and within a few days of it being there the weights will sink down into the silting mud and make it to where its not gonna go anywhere each of my weights are 5 pounds a piece for decoys that stay out all season long(and the line i use i can bet bottom dollar wont tear down throughout season)! and NO ICE is gonna take 10 doz decoys out of a pocket of water nowhere close to the channel overnight that is no more than a foot deep if that. with the amount of weight that was on them the only thing that carryed those decoys off was a couple sharp knifes and a couple of punk b@*%$#%. theres nothing more i cant stand than a thief. my good spread wont be out when im not there anyway! but i wish someone would attempt to steal my decoys this year! there will be eyes or should i say a lense watching our spot 24/7 so if you go stealing decoys just do this criminal justice graduate a favor and smile for the camera! o and by the way for what its worth ill have over 200 dollars worth of decoys out at my spot and for those who want to steal decoys and dont know the law ill tell you! if you steal anything over 200 dollars thats a FELONY so steal away if you choose! im not revealing my self and im not tellin what spot ive got by the pond so anybody that wants to steal the decoys go ahead but one spot by the pond will be watched at all hours!
Duckjunkies field staff

Ky geese=93
ky ducks=102
Tn ducks=20
crappy SEASON!
kyduckhunter08
hunter

Postby kyduckhunter08 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 pm

and just speaking for everybody that has a spot down there, we work way to hard to deserve to have decoys stolen. if someone needs decoys that bad i would even give them a dozen but stealing isnt the answer and it happens down there every year. hope everyone has a great and safe season which is closing in on us very quickly! :thumbsup:
Duckjunkies field staff

Ky geese=93
ky ducks=102
Tn ducks=20
crappy SEASON!
kyduckhunter08
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 am

Now you did it!!! Now every theif knows where they can get a game cam as well as decoys!!! :rolleyes:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey, i hunt the North end of the lake for Divers and absolutely would never leave them out overhight unless I was leaving there at the end of shooting light and gonna be back in the AM.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby kydrake » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:34 pm

mmayes wrote:Hey, i hunt the North end of the lake for Divers and absolutely would never leave them out overhight unless I was leaving there at the end of shooting light and gonna be back in the AM.

Mayes

My guess is you dont run 400 decoys either. Kinda hard to pick that kinda spread up everyday!! :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:42 pm

kydrake wrote:My guess is you dont run 400 decoys either. Kinda hard to pick that kinda spread up everyday!! :yes: :yes:

You mean you don't have time to pick up decoys when you leave pole tops layin' on the sidewalk in town!?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby kydrake » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm

mox wrote:
kydrake wrote:My guess is you dont run 400 decoys either. Kinda hard to pick that kinda spread up everyday!! :yes: :yes:

You mean you don't have time to pick up decoys when you leave pole tops layin' on the sidewalk in town!?

What do you know that im not catchin? LOL
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 am

sweet now we can get a garunteed 200 worth of decoys and a really nice game camera. double score. :yes: :biggrin: :yes: :biggrin:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby mmayes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:58 pm

mox wrote:

No, I don't need anywhere near that many decoys to kill a duck :lol3:

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:01 pm

I dont use any decoys, I just hunt over everyone else's :biggrin: ..... free loader'
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby kydrake » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm

mox wrote:

Mox when that union whistle blows we head in regardless of the mess we are leaving behind! :yes: :yes:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 pm

kydrake wrote:
mox wrote:

Mox when that union whistle blows we head in regardless of the mess we are leaving behind! :yes: :yes:

10-4!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:08 am

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/bl ... ular.shtml

thats the blinds you guys need for the banks of barkley.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby kydrake » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:01 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/bl ... ular.shtml

thats the blinds you guys need for the banks of barkley.

No... You know what Barkley needs. Snipe them at about 250. :sniper:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby travelinghunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm

and some tnt painted like corn cobs.
travelinghunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting