Kansas Bound

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Kansas Bound

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:26 am

Heading out to Kansas for a nice weekend of duck hunting this thursday. Our spot is loaded up with pennies and bwt. Also hoping to catch some early mallards and shovelers. Crazy to be hunting big ducks in October. Does anyone have some plans to hunt elsewhere while we wait on Thanksgiving?
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Re: Kansas Bound

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:07 am

There is nothing we like better than out of state hunters coming in and shooting up our ducks. Spend lots of money while you are here.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 am

TomKat wrote:There is nothing we like better than out of state hunters coming in and shooting up our ducks. Spend lots of money while you are here.

Will do sir, will do
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 am

Dont forget to tip the gas station workers, the road workers, in fact, give money to every person you see :biggrin:

Where you going? Cheyene bottoms?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:05 am

Yah one of my best friends lives in Ark City and has family up in Great Bend, so were going to head up there and see what we can do. You going to be up there at all??
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Not this year. We are in a bad drought, reports I have seen on the bottoms have been less than spectacular. Based on my past experience, I would highly reccomend a boat....

Good luck to you. Cheyenne bottoms is one of the most inportant stop over points for waterfowl in all of North America.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DeathCommander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:58 pm

TomKat wrote:Not this year. We are in a bad drought, reports I have seen on the bottoms have been less than spectacular. Based on my past experience, I would highly reccomend a boat....

Good luck to you. Cheyenne bottoms is one of the most inportant stop over points for waterfowl in all of North America.

Thanks!! I hope we knock em down it sure is going to be a lot of asphalt burning for 2 days (Almost 1600 miles). We are however in luck with the boat situation. Its 18 ft. with a blind, so hopefully this will do the trick! Where do you live in KS?
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 am

Im getting fired up for Nov. 21st and 22nd.....Going to Maryland with my father to hunt with Jeff Coats of Pitboss. Wll be my first time hunting in a layout boat and ocean hunting for sea ducks!!! Will have to update everyone when I return.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby DeathCommander » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Quack I did some research on this guy after we hunted the other day and he looks like the real deal! You all should have a helluva trip!! Get that new gun workin :beer:
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 am

Well you picked the worst possible year to come. Drought like alot of areas have never seen before. If the teal are still there everybody will get some shooting irregardless. Bring a camera for the circus you are going to get to witness. Wear safety glasses and keep your head down. Between lack of water and number of hunters you should be able to hunt 2-3 different spreads from the relative safety of your own. Most birds are using the refuge pools. Only 8 inches and 14 inches respectively in the two you can hunt which will make it difficult to use a boat. With highs in the 80s low humidity and wind the water level is dropping daily. Just don't set your hopes to high for awesome duck hunting.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?KS,HP
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am

DeathCommander wrote:
TomKat wrote:Not this year. We are in a bad drought, reports I have seen on the bottoms have been less than spectacular. Based on my past experience, I would highly reccomend a boat....

Thanks!! I hope we knock em down it sure is going to be a lot of asphalt burning for 2 days (Almost 1600 miles). We are however in luck with the boat situation. Its 18 ft. with a blind, so hopefully this will do the trick! Where do you live in KS?

I live in the NE corner. CB is a good 3 hours from me. But its a neat trip. Enjoy that scenic (flat) drive :biggrin:

EDIT: I tried to walk in the unique mud (quicksand) of CB when I was there...holy crap was that a chore. I about had a heart attack fighting that mud. I have never been in anything like that in my life.

Good luck, sounds like a long drive for little shooting, at least you wont be lonely what with all the other hunters.
Last edited by TomKat on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby WF1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:27 am

FWIW, if you don't have a mud motor leave the boat at home. We took out an 18 fter during teal with only 2 guys, and a dozen dekes and were stuck in the boat lane the entire time, and had ppl walking past us we were moving so slow/getting out and pushing. I have a kayak I take out there, and still have to walk quite a bit...in the nastiest mud on earth :lol:

Oh and btw, being "loaded" with teal and pennies isn't quite the truth, take what kdwp has to say and cut it in half. You'll still get some action though, just be careful out there. During teal when we were done we were slowing plodding back to the ramp, and were about 80 yds from another group, plain as day. They knocked down a bird and crippled it, and got up to shoot it again...and shot literally right at us...with a conservation officer not 250 yds away. I've never been so pissed in my life.

Good luck to ya. The bottoms is a neat place to hunt.
WF1
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for the support/tips guys. I am really looking forward to getting out there. My best friend that lives out there talks very highly of it so I am ready for the experience. Were going to stay at his sisters father in laws house outside of GB after driving up from Ark City. Hope to see some fellow DHC members at the ramp if you all go!
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am

Let us know how you do. I am going hunting tommorow. Not many birds in SE Wisconsin yet because its supposed to hit 80 degrees today. *** lol. alot of warm temps, still learning the areas, it's nice hunting the marshes and got my big duck season started on oct 3rd up here, managed a red head and a blue wing teal on my first trip out. never seen the lake in daylight, got dressed out of a suit case in the parking lot, headed out, got set up covered boat in cat tails, fell asleep 3 times lol. luckily while i was wake I had those 2 different ducks come in within 10 yards back peddaling. watched other boats shoot boxes of shells and I still shot more then they did.

Im ready for the morning to go hunt Bong rec area. The chevelle and bush concert down the road from my apartment. gonna be a good weekend boyz lol

Next weekend im goin after some honkers in northen ill.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I was keeping my eyes out for KY plates today. What pool did you hunt and how did you do? Pm me with the information please...dont post it for the world to see.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TomKat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 am

Lets see those pictures-
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 am

This was an incredible trip for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed your state. CB is beautiful to say the least. We scratched out 15 on the first morning hunt. 4 Pintail, 1 Drake Mallard, 1 Drake Wigeon, 1 Shovler, 1 GWT, and the rest BWT. Ducks were impossible to call at which is a completely different type of hunting from home, but it was fun anyways. Had some rough weather but seeing a couple thousand lift off of 1A made the trip worth it all together!
Attachments
CB-4.jpg
CB-3.jpg
Me on the left, ThatsQuacktastic on the right- Opening Morning
CB-2.jpg
CB-1.jpg
Opening Morning Spread
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby WF1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 am

Glad you had a good trip to the bottoms. Its too bad for the drought this year, I thoroughly enjoy just driving around the place and watching all the wildlife. I doubt it will hold near the geese it normally does this year, but so much is up in the air for this season I could be dead wrong.

CB is kinda weird for calling. I've hunted somedays where you have to call them till they're on the water, but most of the time silence is golden.
WF1
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 am

sometimes silence can be silver (duct tape)
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 pm

DC,
I am glad you enjoyed your trip out here. Good job on the ducks-
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby quackstacker2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 pm

You're going to have to hook me and Ike up on your next time out!!!!! :yes:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:02 pm

quackstacker2 wrote:You're going to have to hook me and Ike up on your next time out!!!!! :yes:

Are there any ducks in Kentucky?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 pm

TomKat wrote:
quackstacker2 wrote:You're going to have to hook me and Ike up on your next time out!!!!! :yes:

None to be found yet... Plenty of geese, no ducks.
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby DeathCommander » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 pm

TomKat wrote:DC,
I am glad you enjoyed your trip out here. Good job on the ducks-

Thanks TK, it was incredible. You all have a good gig out there. The sky is huge, and damn is it flat lol
2013-14 Season

SoDak- 97
KY- 13
KS-44
DeathCommander
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:41 pm

DeathCommander wrote:
TomKat wrote:

None to be found yet... Plenty of geese, no ducks.

He's just in the wrong part of the state. :hi:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting