Looking for a real gun store...

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Looking for a real gun store...

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 am

I am looking for a gun store near Paducah. I have been to Shooters Supply, Dunn's and Gander Mountain and with the exception of Gander they are decent stores, but I am looking for just a gun store. If any of you have ever been up to Pinckneyville Ill. to Hick's you know what I mean. Some place that only has guns, new and used and a large supply on hand. Anything like that near Paducah?
Also, has anyone ever dealt with the Gun Doctor in Lone Oak? I have a couple of guns that I need someone to take a look at, so is he worth visiting?
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Re: Looking for a real gun store...

Postby 13space82 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:33 am

Whittaker Guns in Owensboro.
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
13space82
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 am

13space82 wrote:Whittaker Guns in Owensboro.

Ditto on this. I've bought way too many guns from here. Awesome place, just don't go unless you're prepared to buy something. :thumbsup:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kydrake » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
13space82 wrote:Whittaker Guns in Owensboro.

Ditto on this. I've bought way too many guns from here. Awesome place, just don't go unless you're prepared to buy something. :thumbsup:

If your wanting just a gun store you cant beat Whittakers!! The guys at Gander in Paducah will take good care of you though!!
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby mox » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm

another fan of Whittaker's here... check them out:http://www.whittakerguns.com/

They have a good selection of new and used. Don't expect top dollar on trade in, but with that many guns on hand they don't really need more unless its a rare find.

edit for PS - Over 6,000 guns in stock.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 pm

I have seen whittakers mentioned before, but I thought for sure there would be something in the Paducah area. I never have been impressed with gander, we moved here from the st. louis area and gander is a far cry from cabela's and even bass pro. Their used gun selection is lacking, I prefer used guns a scratch or dent just gives em character! I also prefer less common guns, show me something that is uncommon and I will like it. This year I will be chasing deer with a model 600 6mm and a s&w model 58 .41 mag. Chasing upland and ducks on occasion with a 16 ga. side by side. Somewhere down the road, when I can find one I can justify buying, I will be buying a savage 99 in .300 savage and I would love to have a .358. Fairly hard to find ammo for the 6mm and the .41, but that is why I reload. Gander, Dunn's, Shooters Supply, and from what I have seen online from Whittakers all have mostly more common models in more common calibers and gauges. I am sure at some point I will make my way over to check it out, but I am kind of disappointed that there isn't more around Paducah.
No one knows anything about the Gun Doctor in Lone Oak?
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm

There's six or eight good gun stores around these parts but we keep them secret to keep prices low... Carpetbaggers are the last to know!
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 am

Wow, a Civil War era insult....that's a good one.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Whittakers and Uncle Lee's :thumbsup:
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby kydrake » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Uncle Lee's will sometimes have a better price than Whittakers on some guns but they dont hold a candle on selection!!
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 pm

kydrake wrote:Uncle Lee's will sometimes have a better price than Whittakers on some guns but they dont hold a candle on selection!!

And you won't get as good as service at Uncle Lee's. Apparently the people who work at the back counter hate to get up to see if anybody needs anything. :hammer:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kydrake » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:41 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:
kydrake wrote:Uncle Lee's will sometimes have a better price than Whittakers on some guns but they dont hold a candle on selection!!

And you won't get as good as service at Uncle Lee's. Apparently the people who work at the back counter hate to get up to see if anybody needs anything. :hammer:

X2
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

I appreciate the info from everyone. Looks like Whittakers is the way to go, just based on the list online they have about everything you could be looking for. Didn't see any Savage 99's though, but I bet from time to time one pops up there.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 am

chrispbrown27 wrote:Wow, a Civil War era insult....that's a good one.

Just feeding off your acting like we were holding out on you. Everyone told you Whittakers several times after you had allready mentioned all the local gun stores.

Whittakers has more guns than Gander, Dunns, Shooters and Bass Pro in Nashville combined. They had close to ten SP-10s and ten Mod 12 Winchesters plus a 24 guage SxS as well as about anything else you could imagine last time I was there. All those listed were used guns.

It's sorta like the duck season thread; you couldnt' or wouldnt' take anyones word for when the duck season would open when it's opened on the same day as far back as I can remember since the 80s except for two years in the 90s which we are trying to get once again...

And I'm about as Carpet Bagger as they come being that I was born in Ohio and my relatives served in Ohio Infantry units during the war... I wonder if youre' a lawyer being that you have to see evey last thing in writing?
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 am

chrispbrown27 wrote:I appreciate the info from everyone. Looks like Whittakers is the way to go, just based on the list online they have about everything you could be looking for. Didn't see any Savage 99's though, but I bet from time to time one pops up there.
Chris

When you say Savage mod 99 do you mean the really old lever gun they made? If so I have a 30/30 in a 99 if you are interested.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Fowler- It's not that I am not willing to take everyones word for it, I just like to have a copy of the regs in writing and on hand when I hunt and I thought it was strange that they have not been released. And I assure you I am not a lawyer, but I can't see anything wrong with wanting something in writing. I was not trying to argue with anyone about whether or not there were any good gun shops closer than whittakers and I appreciate everyone giving me some help. I believe I simply said I found it hard to believe there weren't any in the Paducah area after a couple of people posted on the topic.
mmayes- That's the one. I would be interested, but at this time the finances are just not there to buy anything. I appreciate ya mentioning it though. Why ya wanting to sell it? 99's are pretty collectible and have a very loyal following. I would love to have a .358 99 someday, but that's definitely years away since they don't show up much and when they do they sell high. I
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby kydrake » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 pm

A tear just run down my cheek!! :crying: :crying:
kydrake
State Moderator

Postby FOWLER2671 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:48 am

Crispbrown: KDFWR does sorta absolutly suck when it comes to ducks. They really dont do anything much worth mentioning outside of Ballard and Sloughs management areas and they dont seem to have a lick of accountability as we the Citizens of the Commonwealth dont get mad enough in large enough numbers to make them take note.

Unfortunatly; the private clubs have more influence than the small time public hunters.

All the surrounding states make us look pitiful with their public hunting opportunities. Ive just gotten tired of fighting the battle.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am

FOWLER2671 wrote:Unfortunatly; the private clubs have more influence than the small time public hunters.

They same its the same in Southern illinois. People in the north section of the southern zone said that the southern duck club owners had the money to get the state to open the season later. To be honest, I just went hunting when the state said I could and stopped when they said I had to. This year will be the first year of a 4th zone in illinois and I just can't see how it is going to make a big difference, the south-central and the south zones only start 12 days apart, but hey I could be wrong. I will say that I did a little checking into a public spot not far from me and the information online and on-site was none existent, but it did look like an area that should hold ducks.
Public hunting areas are one thing that illinois did have quite a bit of. Now with budget issues the past few years the maintenance of those public areas has been not so great.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby mmayes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Because I inherited the 99 and will never shoot it

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Just out of curiosity what would you want for it?
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting