Respect

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: Respect

Postby quackstacker2 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Its people like you that make the sport what it is today. HAt off to you as well.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby TomKat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:tomkat.... you lost me at ford f150.... jk.

I sir respect you, aint easy learning it all with no teacher.

thanks fellas. I read a lot of magazine articles and asked a lot of questions to my DU brothers. I also learned a lot on DHC, and by watching waterfowl hunting shows.

I have been all over the Bluegrass State. Really pretty state. I liked Lake Cumberland a lot.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

as long as ur not from missouri :biggrin:
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:08 pm

TomKat wrote:Image

I am a 50 year old duck hunter. I didnt come from a waterfowling family or tradition. No one ever took me on a youth duck hunt.
I got my dog from a back yard breeder and trained her after reading a few books.
I run hotbuy decoys, and have some other used ones I picked up on Craigs List.
I bought an old jon boat and am fixing it up, but am having trouble getting a series of old boat motors to run.
No one taught me how to call, I am self taught. I started with cheap wal mart calls and slowly got better calls.
I get frustrated hunting on public land because many of my fellow Americans show poor manners and have little respect for the sport.
I drive a 1993 Ford F150 Pick up..
I am a volunteer for my local DU committe.

I am the 99%

Good for you man! I like that story and can relate. :thumbsup:
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby Andy W » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:38 am

mmayes wrote:
duckbuster06 wrote:
mmayes wrote:

I guess now all I need is a Black Hoodie and I will be the man :help:

Mayes

plus a barrel sticker and a team name.

You to go and burst my bubble, Ain't got none of them that things :fingerhead:

Mayes

You all beat me to it with the black hoodie & barrel stickers. :lol3:

All kidding aside, lablover nailed it:
lablover0929 wrote:
Its varies pieces of what you had mentioned. But how you respect the waterfowl heritage, the law, yurself, each other, and the game you pursue.

My story is very similar to Tomkat's except I'm 53.
Andy W
hunter

Postby mmayes » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Andy, I agree with you it was summed up best by lablover.

I can't say i got into the sport late and by accident. I started when I was 8 with a 12ga 2 3/4" 1100 with a 30" full choke and lead 5's. I cussed the steel only laws when they came in around the end of the 80's(and still do). I watched technology catch up with the sport making it easier to hunt and both harder at the same time. I have also saw how technology has divided the hunting community as well. Its a sport I have a deep love and appreciation for and hope to someday pass on to my son.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby quackstacker2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:40 pm

That almost made me tear up... :lol: JK, i agree....I enjoy the sport as well. Just hope i have a little one to pass it along too.
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
quackstacker2
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby mmayes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:51 am

The only advice I can offer to having a kid is "DON'T UNTIL YOU ARE READY".

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:53 pm

The people i respect most arent the ones with the toys or with all the money to hunt different places. Instead they are the people who introduced me to the sport, it takes a different person to take a newbie to a spot that you consider your honey hole. I wasnt born into this obsession, i have only been waterfowl hunting for maybe 3 years, i had one person help me learn to call and from there i was on my own. I spent many days on the lake with no gun just listening to ducks and imitating them. I would much rather hunt with the older crowd who have been in the sport for a while and want to bring new people into it. Im trying to be that person everyday luckily i have a father who introduced me into hunting deer and from there the passion grew. This will be his first year hunting and a close friend gave me permission to bring him to a spot opening day. Its people like that i respect more than anything the ones who have a great spot to hunt for themselves but instead would rather bring a new hunter into the crowd to give them a chance at the sport and let this passion continue to grow.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:41 pm

A buddy and I started out pretty darn close to blind on duck hunting. My Grandpa and uncles used to duck hunt, but quit it years before I was old enough to go. My buddy had an uncle who hunted but he wasn't real interested in taking us. We both had been hunting other things for a few years, but had never chased ducks. So we bought some flam decoys on the cheap, some cheap calls, some vinyl waders and started hunting. We met people along the way that were willing to share advice with us and many that just wanted to laugh at the new guys. There were plenty of hard knocks (still are) but the love of it never went away. To me watching the ducks work is the best thing about the sport, sure I like to kill birds but I would rather have a big flock I worked in sit down in front of me and not kill one of em than limit pass shooting. Sad thing is that when ya hunt public land those days are few and far between. Truth is I kill very few birds per year and a big part of it is I won't shoot unless they are pretty tight (got a buddy that believes he has a howitzer and drives him crazy that I don't shoot when he does). Haven't ever seen a point in fighting over a spot so I walk away which means I have lost some hot spots, but I also haven't ever been shot at. I love the sport, but not enough to get hurt.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Previous

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting